Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fastest dsl setup

Options
  • 23-03-2009 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭

hello again,

followingon from advice i got here last week (thanks) i got eircom to connect up my phone line. i got a mail today saying it was activated with my eircom ac number. i have a few more questions now.

im looking at either digiweb dsl,magnet, smart, or bt or utv. ideally id prefer smart but i know from years ago they can take ages to set up.

i want to go for a call and broadband package with one of them but dont want to be waoting ages to be online.

has anyone any recommendations on who would connect me the fastest?

also do i need to request a uan from eircom first or is the eircom ac number good enough to start an oedee.

thanks a mill again
    luke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Run your number through the Eircom line checker first. If it's just been activated it may not have been tested for broadband yet and show as a fail. Until it shows as a pass you won't be able to order of anyone.

Your Eircom account is all you need to order.
    As for setting up times, all the bitstream sellers (Eircom, BT, UTV, Digiweb, etc.) are much the same. 5 - 7 working days normally and usually less than 10. Waiting for the modem to be delivered if often the biggest delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

hiyas,

i just signed up to UTV, didnt order a modem, just got the mail there now. hope theres no issues because the bank account name is different to the account holders name. wouldnt it just be fab if they emailed me today with a u/n and p/w and it was working when i went home lol.

has anyone any experience in ordering off UTV, with a call pacakge also, and no modem, were you waiting long to get your password?

Ill post again when im set up.

Thanks,
    Luke

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

hiyas,

i just signed up to UTV, didnt order a modem, just got the mail there now. hope theres no issues because the bank account name is different to the account holders name. wouldnt it just be fab if they emailed me today with a u/n and p/w and it was working when i went home lol.

has anyone any experience in ordering off UTV, with a call pacakge also, and no modem, were you waiting long to get your password?

Ill post again when im set up.

Thanks,
    Luke

Where are you living? Maybe we (Magnet) could still offer you something?

im in adelaide square, d8 - i moved in on the 4th, engineer came out twice since, but net has been up and down (intermittent), i need it for work so I cant really be waiting around for it to be fixed. last guy said they might be able to fix it, might not. it works grand when they leave though, and then about an hour later it just goes - the mad thing is, from thursday it just stopped working alltogether.

Ive already cancelled with NTL and sent in a mail yesterday saying dont expect me to pay the bill for this months internet charges.

ive lived in places before where the ntl has been intermittent and we had to go with someone else, to be honest im sick because in my old place there was never an issue, and it was superfast and supercheap. i knew though when moving this could happen.

theres a few people in the complex have ntl also, i can tell by the wireless signal, so they must be having no issues. I appreciate you getting back to me about it here, but if those 2 engineers cant help, i dont think it would be an easy job to resolve.

cheers,
    luke

im in adelaide square, d8 - i moved in on the 4th, engineer came out twice since, but net has been up and down (intermittent), i need it for work so I cant really be waiting around for it to be fixed. last guy said they might be able to fix it, might not. it works grand when they leave though, and then about an hour later it just goes - the mad thing is, from thursday it just stopped working alltogether.

Ive already cancelled with NTL and sent in a mail yesterday saying dont expect me to pay the bill for this months internet charges.

ive lived in places before where the ntl has been intermittent and we had to go with someone else, to be honest im sick because in my old place there was never an issue, and it was superfast and supercheap. i knew though when moving this could happen.

theres a few people in the complex have ntl also, i can tell by the wireless signal, so they must be having no issues. I appreciate you getting back to me about it here, but if those 2 engineers cant help, i dont think it would be an easy job to resolve.

cheers,
    luke

Well, You could alway apply for the Magnet service. In most of Dublin 8 we can offer up to 24Mb. What some people are doing is they are trying out the mobile broadband trials (30 days) while they wait (some are even offered on pay as you go), some customers then keep the mobile bb as a backup/for use when they are out and about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

i just signed up to UTV, didnt order a modem, just got the mail there now. hope theres no issues because the bank account name is different to the account holders name.

That shouldn't be an issue at all.
    wouldnt it just be fab if they emailed me today with a u/n and p/w and it was working when i went home lol.

Not likely, but you can always dream :)

UTV will have to wait on eircom to set it up, this usually takes 7 to 10 days. It certainly won't be any faster than 5, I'd say. UTV will send you your username and password (if you haven't selected these at the time of ordering), either before or after eircom set up DSL, no way to be sure on which one.

hello,

thanks again for the replies.

I think at the moment, mobile broadband is best suited for mobile phones, my nerves would be shot trying to work with it, and then its just the hassle of getting a trial and having to send it back. seeing as its only 2 weeks i dont really mind waiting for UTV to come through. i will admit though magnet does seem to have a great value service (sorry i thought u were NTL there in my earlier post) if you could offer the same connection times as the resellers id go with you without a shadow of a doubt. but its just not an option for me.

Thanks,
    Luke

hi again roser, i have a business need and Id like to talk to you about, ill send you a pm now.

Thanks,
    Luke

hello,

thanks again for the replies.

I think at the moment, mobile broadband is best suited for mobile phones, my nerves would be shot trying to work with it, and then its just the hassle of getting a trial and having to send it back. seeing as its only 2 weeks i dont really mind waiting for UTV to come through. i will admit though magnet does seem to have a great value service (sorry i thought u were NTL there in my earlier post) if you could offer the same connection times as the resellers id go with you without a shadow of a doubt. but its just not an option for me.

Thanks,
    Luke

In all honesty i would always quote 15-20 working days lead time. In reality it rarely takes this long and usually completes before time without much or any inconvenience for the customer.

hi all,

i just thought id post an update on this.

as soon as i got my email off eircom saying the line was activated with the a/c number i went onto the utv site and signed up there, just under two weeks later i got a letter saying the a.c number was invalid, the number was correct but i dont think i left it long enough to register properly so thats why it came up invalid for utv.

anyways i allowed id waited that long so i might as well go with magnet cos its a better deal. so i signed up. I was set up within 2 weeks and have to say its flying, am very happy with the service.

i went and signed up twice again with the residental service with two other places i work for, they were set up within 2 - 3 weeks.

on another note i got a final bill off eircom and was plesently suprised they only charged for the line rental for the days the line was with them, so i didnt get charged for a full month which i was expecting. happy days.

Luke

• Advertisement
Advertisement