Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bust up on Leahy Show ?

• 24-03-2009 12:15am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭

Did I imagine a bit of a bust up on the Will Leahy show today.

Leahy was being his usual smug self....comes to the sports report....sports chappie does his thing mentioning the Rugby win in Wales.and that it was the most watched event on TV this year..

Leahy throws him a curved ball as to whether the viewing audience was bigger than the first match in Croker vs England or for the match vs the All Blacks.

Sports guy dosnt know..Leahy tells him to check it before the next sports bulletin.....sports guy rather frostily says he is not doing the next bulletin...Leahy then starts a rant that nobody cares anymore.

Got the distinct impression the sports guy got the hump at the way Leahy treated him.....they played two tracks back to back immediately after the incident...words were had I would say....

Thought Leahy was way out of order...is really getting above himself IMO.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Sputnik101

Or it was just banter on the radio to make the show more interesting. Obviously worked as well since you started a thread about it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

One thing to remember about the will leahy show is that he broadcasts it from Limerick, while the news and sport is all broadcast from montrose, so any interactions between leahy and the sports guy are probably only over the air, doubt it was scripted in advance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Sputnik101 wrote: »
    Or it was just banter on the radio to make the show more interesting. Obviously worked as well since you started a thread about it ;)

Eh ?

I know it was just banter Sputter...but my point is that it had a bit of edge to it...sports guy definately got the hump at Leahy.

Don't blame him to be honest.
    heybaby wrote: »
    One thing to remember about the will leahy show is that he broadcasts it from Limerick, while the news and sport is all broadcast from montrose, so any interactions between leahy and the sports guy are probably only over the air, doubt it was scripted in advance.

Mmm yeah....thanks babe for puttin me wise on that...wouldn't say it as scripted.

Are they groomin that guy leahy you recon ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

Yeah, to be honest, I dont think Will Leahy is capable of setting up contoversy-generating "banter" in such a fashion to get people talking, so that theory is a non starter.

I really don't think there was anything suggesting megalomania in it either, mind you. Most likely just crossed wires and one broadcaster not "getting" the other's wavelength, and them both sounding awkward & unprofessional as a result, resulting in embarrassment all round. (Not for the first time on his radio show, I might add.)

That being said, there is some truth in the opinion that Leahy is being groomed for a bigger plate in the canteen - his recent inexplicable appearance as host of "The Panel" on rte 1 became suddenly 'splicable when Rte announced (seconds after his appearance was announced) that he was to host the new, much trumpeted " behind the scenes " magazine programme for Rte's recent Sunday evening cross country Crapfest "The All Ireland Talent show".

His appearance on the panel was as successful as all episodes of this show have been this season, and reached the same level of excellence (i.e. Utter crap, but no-one died) but his forced enthusiasm, inane questioning, cringe-inducing interaction with the frankly past-it Dustin, and his general faux-yooof presenter behaviour rendered the already poor backstage show idea completely unwatchable.

He's about as comfortable and enjoyable on Television as Gerry Ryan or Pat Kenny are, and as a result, we can no doubt expect to see him all over our bloody screens very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭lovinit

TBH I think he was far better on the Saturday show than being on all week, although Ruth Scott and Paddy McKenna are doing a very good job now:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

What frikken frequency is this Gollum on.??

Never heard of the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭thejuggler

He also did tv back in the 90s as a reporter on consumer show Streetwise with Martina O'Donoghue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Who is he???

NEVER heard of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭lovinit

Who is he???

NEVER heard of him.

He is on 2fm every day from like 5 to 7 something like that after Rick O Shea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

Quick recap for FB.

Will Leahy is the Limerick based Drivetime presenter on 2fm. A solicitor by trade, he is seemingly being prepped for light entertainment television by the powers that be at Montrose.

He's a former Rte 2fm Saturday morning presenter, with a small amount of TV experience in the last decade , mainly due to his knowledge of consumer affairs, and (to be fair) his ability to string together a sentence without sounding like a complete airhead.

Overall verdict - not an unpleasant person, but has a distinctly underwhelming presenting style (reminiscent of the Beeb's Simon Mayo in the 90's: Bland, with a dependence on poor Christmas Cracker style humour) .

While (like Pat Kenny et al) he seems decent when conversing on factual topics, he generally seems unsuited to entertainment television.

This of course, means that Rte will almost certainly plonk him into another entertainment television prgramme beore the year is out. Sure what would the viewers know, eh?

Jonathan Ross' pants remained unsoiled at this prospect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

He's been a dosapointment for me since his move to daytime. I mean you can't expect someone to hold down a prime time slot on national radio and hold down a slot in the family run legal company. Its one or the other at that level...

Chris Evans is back to his best on Radio 2 at that time and TG I can pick it up from the airport home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

2fivers wrote: »
    Quick recap for FB.

Overall verdict - not an unpleasant person, but has a distinctly underwhelming presenting style (reminiscent of the Beeb's Simon Mayo in the 90's: Bland, with a dependence on poor Christmas Cracker style humour) .
    QUOTE]

Listening to Mayo on 5live now its hard to imagine him at Radio1.He is so well researched on his own programme that the idea of him doing some lighthearted Leahy type stuff is laughable.

I find the Will Leahy show harmless enough whenever i get to hear it.Usual 2fm blandness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

any time ive heard will leahy on his newer daytime weekday show, he sounds like the biggest RTE lick arse i have ever heard. I was a big fan of his old saturday show but now he is as poor as the likes of Nikki Hayes, Damian Farrelly and others i cant think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭hi_sir

ruth scott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

He's a solicitor by trade, radio isn't his true profession. Apparently he finishes "the day job" early and runs down to the RTE Limerick studios just before 5.

Its incredible how his Law firm let him off with finishing early every day, but then again if he's in the property sector there'll be very little for him to do now.

Big Tone wrote: »
    He's a solicitor by trade, radio isn't his true profession. Apparently he finishes "the day job" early and runs down to the RTE Limerick studios just before 5.

Its incredible how his Law firm let him off with finishing early every day, but then again if he's in the property sector there'll be very little for him to do now.

Too right there pal !

Nothin incredible about it - he own's the freekin company.

Travelling very rapidly up his own whole in this posters opinion.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I think he's grand on the show. He does good interviews, and is well able to take a comment from the interviewee and make something of it, which a lot of DJ's would be afraid to do as it would mean deviating from their script. I'd take him over Ruth Scott or those breakfast show muppets any day. In fact I think he'd be a good brekkie show host but that might not suit what with the day job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I think he's grand on the show. He does good interviews, and is well able to take a comment from the interviewee and make something of it, which a lot of DJ's would be afraid to do as it would mean deviating from their script. I'd take him over Ruth Scott or those breakfast show muppets any day. In fact I think he'd be a good brekkie show host but that might not suit what with the day job.

Really? I've had to turn the station whilst listening to some of his interviews, they're so cringe-worthy; pure arse-licking and unfunny jokes that are played as a promo for his show for the following 4 weeks! I'm pretty indifferent towards the guy overall but his interview technique leaves a LOT to be desired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Agree with you for the most part. His interviews tend to be just fluffy showbiz rubbish, but overall I think Will Leahy is the best 2FM have.

Agree with you for the most part. His interviews tend to be just fluffy showbiz rubbish, but overall I think Will Leahy is the best 2FM have.

Eh ?:confused:

What do you expect from a fluffy showbiz rubbish show ?

An in depth analysis of the International Monetary System ??

Get real horse - this show is aimed airheads and muppets ..the last remnants of the Celtic Tiger cubs....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Eh ?:confused:

What do you expect from a fluffy showbiz rubbish show ?

An in depth analysis of the International Monetary System ??

Get real horse - this show is aimed airheads and muppets ..the last remnants of the Celtic Tiger cubs....

It was in reply to the post saying he was a good interviewer. He's not, but he is good at what he does, horse.

Now Leahy is using the scott mills oh whats occuring music and today, had a similar guessing game to Oh..... only shorter. he is completely devoid of any original ideas.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Now Leahy is using the scott mills oh whats occuring music and today, had a similar guessing game to Oh..... only shorter. he is completely devoid of any original ideas.

I got this bit pal...but the rest...???? It's probably me...but can you ...uh...translate ??

English not your first language eh ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Banter and nothing more. IMO.

Strange that I heard this.

Uh ? :confused:

...thats ok then......:confused:

I got this bit pal...but the rest...???? It's probably me...but can you ...uh...translate ??

English not your first language eh ??
    leahy is copying the scott mills BBC Radio 1 show. if you ever happened to hear that show, you'll know what i was on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    leahy is copying the scott mills BBC Radio 1 show. if you ever happened to hear that show, you'll know what i was on about.
    A 2FM dj copying BBC Radio 1? Would never happen:rolleyes:!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

can anyone tell me whats the sign off song will leahy plays at the end of his show?Normally playing in the background while he talks to ruth scot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

i think he's pretty damn good to be honest, its very slick and flows seemlessly, a good character - i think he's got the right time of day and type of show. both newstalk and today fm are doing news at that time so obviously it'll be lighter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

i think he's pretty damn good to be honest, its very slick and flows seemlessly, a good character - i think he's got the right time of day and type of show. both newstalk and today fm are doing news at that time so obviously it'll be lighter

If "Lighter" = laboured p*ss poor puns, heat magazine style gossip and reading the RTE guide out loud, then I'll avoid "lighter" and stick to normal radio, ta.

Advertisement