Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner DSLR pics! Dogs - C&C

• 24-03-2009 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so i'm new not just new to DSLR's but new to photography as a whole, I just decided to pick up a D60 when I could and see if I enjoy it and so far I'm loving it.

Because of college I haven't had the chance to do as much as I like but I got a few of my dogs the other day and I was just thinking I'd stick them up to see what people think.

I'd like some opinions and stuff but would be particularly interested in how I could improve (camera settings?) and how I could use photoshop to improve the pictures.

Thanks in advance (Ps: be gentle!)

1. 28FD3448413442B18427E155D00D28EF-800.jpg

2. 5220AF230B00489F8D08B3120FD5AC8B-800.jpg

3. B1620C9D1A1948238907183458A54343-800.jpg

4. EF948A9934B94DD6B764A8BB5F583C6A-800.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

No. 2 is a beaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

love numbers 2 and 4 well done :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

*Dallas wrote: »
    love numbers 2 and 4 well done :D
    Agreed.

Nice scene in no.4 in particular.

Will be interested to see what the pros think could be improved on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

#1 You've not really captured the subjects face, ie the eyes which makes the photograph very bland.

#2 Lovely shot, love the blur on the grass and the angle, if I was to do overkill on a critiscim it's a pity the Dogs ear casts a shadow on his face.

#3 This contradicts what I said about #1 and capturing a face but yet it works on this one, I really like the unusual angle, I'd imagine it's not to everyones taste though.

#4 Looks like you focused on his body and not his face which is very soft, easy enough to get right next time.

So 2 and 3 my favourites by far. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

1: angle looks slightly wrong .. maybe slightly below would have been better
    2: my favourite
    3: I'm loving the colour
    4: got a lot going for it but the focus being on his back and not his face lets it down

overall great shots :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Thanks for the very valid points.

I agree on the 1st picture, I had it in my head that it was missing something and I see it now, lower the angle and then get the eys and face more would be a better idea?

As for the second, yeh the shadow over the face slightly takes away from it, could photoshop help with this at all?

About the focus on the 4th, very interesting point, I'm gonna try and get that picture again with the focus on the face

Thanks Everyone!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

#2 for me, as already mentioned though its a shame about the shadow on the face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

About #2 thats were flash fill would've came in handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

About #2 thats were flash fill would've came in handy.

Thanks for that AnimalRights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I think that you are going quite well for someone starting off, the exposures look spot on.

I'm not going to comment on the individual shots just make a general comment, usually for a shot to work well it needs a focal point and with living subjects that focal point almost always is the eyes. Really to get the best results with portrait type shots you need to have eye contact and have the eyes in focus, that's where some of yours lose some impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I love #2 and #4. Lovely Photo's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

#2 is my fave.

For close up shots of dogs, the cameras auto focus tends to lock onto the nose.... make sure it focuses on the eyes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Firstly I think all your doggie shots are great!
    Picture 1: I would watch out for your backgrounds I think it is too similar to the colour of the dog.
    Picture 2: I really like your DOF in this picture. I would try to include the whole body of the dog but I understand it can be tough sometimes, also be aware of lighting as there is a slight shadow on the dogs face. Its good you are coming down to the dogs level! Overall a fantastic capture.
    Picture 3: This picture is extremely good! You have a different angle which is suited to the dogs inquisitive position which you have captured very well!
    Picture 4: This picture is nice! You have lovely greenery and trees and again you DOF is good. As the above comment says it is important to get your focal point correct, in this picture I should think it is at the middle (body)but should be at the top (head).

Over all a wide variety of pictures that brought out the characteristics in the dog, with varied angles and positions!

Excellent pictures well done, looking forward to more!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Love number 2 as well. great colours!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The 2nd one is really good!!!

Advertisement