Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo newbie questions

Options
  • 24-03-2009 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

My friend and 1 are both hoping to get our first tattoos next week. I'm getting three stars and the words "move along" on my ankle and she's getting this http://i21.tinypic.com/2hyj8lx.jpg. Just got some basic questions so any help would be much appreciated.

Firstly, we are planning on using Irish Ink as a friend of mine has three tattoos from there and they all came out beautifully and although there are some rumours I've been there before and it looks like it is well kept, clean and safe. However I know very little about the other tattoo parlours in Galways so I'm open to suggestions if you think another would be better.

I know the ankle is supposed to be very very painful but my friend is wondering how sore the wrist is as opinions regarding it seemed pretty mixed?

Also how likely is a reaction to the tattoo ink and what treatment is required and will your tattoo come out alright if your skin does react? I know it's meant to be really rare but my friend has really sensitive skin and is allergic to hair dye which is also meant to be very rare. Also she has psoriasis on her scalp, does that effect the likelihood in any way?

Em....think that's it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Everybody's pain threshold is different so it's not possible to give you a definite answer on the pain factor, however I personally found the wrists to be a piece of cake :) Was more of an irritation than a pain.

As for having a reaction, it's extremely unlikely. Just tell yourself you won't get a reaction and you'll be fine, a lot of people tend to bring things like that on themselves accidentally by thinking and worrying about it so much that it eventually manifests itself. If you did happen to have a reaction (which you won't if you just know you won't, trust me), a bit of TLC and maybe a touch up would sort you right out.

I have very sensitive skin and quite bad eczema and I've never had a reaction, that was one of my concerns when I was getting my first ink as well. In fact my tatts have always healed beautifully and very quickly, much more so than some other people I know with very hardy skin. I wouldn't be concerned about your friend's skin condition at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Check out G's on prosect hill, green shop says tatoo across front of it, Gordan is the tatooist there talk to him and get him to give you a price, while i havent had work done by him my self a lot of my friends have gone there and his work is top noth and not a rip off. ive been in there for piercings and the place is the cleanest most professional looking in galway id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Also she has psoriasis on her scalp, does that effect the likelihood in any way?

There is a chance that a tattoo could trigger psoriasis to flare up on that area (even if psoriasis isn't active there at the moment) due to the trauma caused to the skin. If it does it can be cleared up by using creams (non-steroid based). It mightn't affect her, everyone is different, but it is worth knowing anyway. This might be worth a read :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭bubblewrap

Can't speak for the ankle but the wrist, I won't lie - it hurts but that is only a small tattoo and the pain is soon forgotten about, in fact I am getting another soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Cool thanks everyone for ye're help.

I know that you can't drink alcohol before getting a tattoo cos it can cause extra bleeding but is it okay to drink after? It's just my friend is having a party that night and I don't want to complicate things.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd have said going on a bender right after getting tattooed would be a bad idea cos it might hamper the initial healing. I could be wrong on this though.

Advertisement