Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mira Elite 2 - Stat change

• 24-03-2009 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

the stat on my Mira Elite 2 pump shower is finished, it's either hot or cold so I'm assuming it is the stat. Was going to just replace it. I have never replaced one before, is there anything i need to look out for?

is a 5 year old shower worth it?
    should i just pop a whole new shower in?
    I always found with Triton showers that the lasted about 5 years before the whole thing packed it in so I'm wondering if its the same issue here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Board Walker

to be honest i'd change it. another problem could pop up next month and the month after.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Parts are miras can be very pricey. Its probably worth fitting a new one if you can manage it yourself. Not a whole not involved if you can do a straight swap. It would be a mira elite ST now. The main thing is to turn off the valve, one should be fitted, and ofcourse the mcb :rolleyes:

Davy wrote: »
    mcb :rolleyes:

RCBO i hope you mean!

RCBO i hope you mean!

not really, its in 5 years prob not an rcbo :p

im qualified a 2 years and i rememeber from day one we used RCBO's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

no no lol, it's an RCBO I wired the place myself but had nothing to do with the plumbing, the shower was a bonus TBH I thought I was supplying and installing it, hense it being a MIRA.

I'll just replace it, is a mira elite ST a straight swap lust like some tritons ? as it looks like I could fit a Triton in there too.

You could probably find a mira elite 2 if you really wanted to but the ST is the same shell. Just check you have a gate valve for the shower before you do anything. Some plumbers are to mean to put one in. You dont have a valve you might have to drain the tank. Their are a few tricks around it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Davy wrote: »
    You could probably find a mira elite 2 if you really wanted to but the ST is the same shell. Just check you have a gate valve for the shower before you do anything. Some plumbers are to mean to put one in. You dont have a valve you might have to drain the tank. Their are a few tricks around it though.

haven't came across that yet.have you checked the filter and shower head for limescale as a precaution anyway.

I have it in lads thanks, the guts of the older model were fine (keeping for parts), i noticed that the Elite ST model has a filter that you can remove and clean, the Elite 2 does not, so it can be maintained to some degree.

It was a like for like change no issues. I've not installed many Mira showers and I'm not familiar with their reliability, I was just checking to see if they started acting up on or about the 5 year guarantee. With Triton I've found that they start acting up after 5 years and IMO they should just be replaced

The Elite St has a 2 year guarantee BTW, not 5 like some other models.

But its up now.

thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

the elite 1 and 2 has a filter i clean them all the time
    http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/shower-spares/mira/mira-elite.htm down the bottom 406-27 .glad you got sorted anyhow!

• Advertisement

I never knew that there was a filter on the elite 2, might have lasted longer if i cleaned it every now and then. The ST has that filter and another bigger plastic one below the pump (under 428.26), at a glance it stands out as a big difference between the two units.

SO I'll be keep both clean on a regular basis from now on. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Stoner wrote: »
    I never knew that there was a filter on the elite 2, might have lasted longer if i cleaned it every now and then. The ST has that filter and another bigger plastic one below the pump (under 428.26), at a glance it stands out as a big difference between the two units.

SO I'll be keep both clean on a regular basis from now on. Thanks for the info.

I have an Elite ST,roughly 2 years old and I'm having the same problems as the OP,shower running too hot and too cold without ever touching the dial.So far I have cleaned out the inlet filter and soaked the shower head in vinegar(to softed limescale)and then cleaned out each individual jet on the head with a needle.
    The shower still is not working properly,anyone any ideas where to go from here?It's driving me nuts at this stage,should I just bite the bullet and buy a new one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭MAYOMICK

The following link might be of some use to you
    http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

rustynutz wrote: »
    I have an Elite ST,roughly 2 years old and I'm having the same problems as the OP,shower running too hot and too cold without ever touching the dial.So far I have cleaned out the inlet filter and soaked the shower head in vinegar(to softed limescale)and then cleaned out each individual jet on the head with a needle.
    The shower still is not working properly,anyone any ideas where to go from here?It's driving me nuts at this stage,should I just bite the bullet and buy a new one?

You have done all the right things. in terms of cleaning have you checked the shower doctor site as advised above>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 p.d

To be honest i would change it for 25euro you cant go too far wrong even if you got 6-12 months

Advertisement