Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resi 4 Holds on to 1st spot, Madworld enters 34?!!

Options
  • 24-03-2009 1:08am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

UK software chart follows:
    • 01. Resident Evil 5
    • 03. Professor Layton and the Curious Village
    • 04. WWE Legends of Wrestlemania
    • 05. Tom Clancy's HAWX
    • 06. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
    • 07. Street Fighter IV
    • 08. Dr Kawashima's Brain Training
    • 09. FIFA 09
    • 10. Call of Duty: World at War
    • 11. Killzone 2
    • 12. Puzzler Collection
    • 13. Wii Play
    • 14. Ben 10: Alien Force
    • 15. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfar
    • 16. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
    • 17. My Fitness Coach
    • 18. Empire: Total Wa
    • 19. Halo Wars
    • 20. Club Penguin: Elite Penguin Force

Now thats from a direct copy paste job from their site.

a) Wii Fit is number two, and its missing. well done
    b) What in the hell is Club Penguin: Elite Penguin Force? I'm sorry, but whatever fools bought this game over Madworld (which came in at number 34), oughta be sent to the moon. Anyone with doubt over the Wii software, get Madworld. Trust me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The thread title had me thinking WTF

As for the Pengin game. Not heard of it myself. http://ds.ign.com/objects/142/14266636.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

In what way, my good sir? The way in which the charts are outrageous? or the one where you think my insanity has something to do with the lack of sleep i've had lately? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

It is a shame that MadWorld has not done better on the Wii. I'm sure that many publishers were looking closely to see how it performs. Had it performed well then we could expect to get more normal games for the system rather than more party/causal games. Now that it looks like it has flopped we can probably look forward to even less normal games.

Lets hope that The Conduit does better.

As for the Club Penguin sales that is understandable. It is a Disney property after all so there is a large built in audience among younger gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I think it's cause the thread title states Resi 4 instead of 5.

Madworld is a great game and it is shocking that it's not getting the recognition it deserves. Unfortunately I think that most "gamers" who bought a Wii have sold it since due to the complete lack of games like this on it. If there were more like this then it may begin to draw people back to the machine but as it is girls and grannies and kids won't be buying Madworld

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

irish charts if anyones interested:

http://www.game.ie/DS/latest/359/News.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I guess this proves that core gamers have abandoned the Wii for good, or at least until a new Zelda/Metroid is announced. Sad state of affairs that if the game was called "Madworld Hamsterz" it would've sold a bundle

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

RE 5 is an established IP while MadWorld is a new and risky IP. No surprise to me anyway it didn't claim number 1. All you could hope for there is a top 10. Not saying anything against MadWorld now as i havn't played it yet. Having said that, its disappointing we don't see more games like MadWorld on the Wii.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Chumpski wrote: »
    RE 5 is an established IP while MadWorld is a new and risky IP. No surprise to me anyway it didn't claim number 1. All you could hope for there is a top 10. Not saying anything against MadWorld now as i havn't played it yet. Having said that, its disappointing we don't see more games like MadWorld on the Wii.

Don't think anybody was expecting it to shoot to number 1, but to not even place on the top 20 is shocking considering the amount of drivel on there...
    Shame really... Based on the reviews I've read and video reviews I've watched so far, it looks like ludicrous amounts of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I think one of the reasons Madworld didnt sell as well is because the majority of Wii owners (myself included) are under 18

BTW Club Penguin is like an online chat room type thing where you're a penguin and you can talk to friends and whatnot. I think the DS game has like a slight storyline or something to it.

id imagine under 18 wii owners are in the vast minority to be honest with you

under 18 console owners full stop are in the minority

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Helix wrote: »
    irish charts if anyones interested:

http://www.game.ie/DS/latest/359/News.aspx

I can't believe how well H.A.W.X. is doing. I found it to be terrible.

im a bit more concerned with the presence of super mario bros ds to be perfectly honest

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd put money on the vast majority of 18's rated games are sold to under 18's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A simple phrase should explain the poor, unfair state of the gaming charts these days...

"There is no accounting for taste, or lack thereof".

I am very suspicious of most game charts anyway, Madworld is niche title none the less, it is a mature game on a family computer (like what I did there?).

It's the equivalent of Doras Family Fun Night coming out on PS3, with ceremonial daggers and a purple coloured plinth included, of course, that title is only available on the Wii, and coming to the DS and iPhone.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I was at least expecting it to jump into the lower end of the top 20, but 34 is just madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

I think everyone is missing one key detail - Madworld came out on March 20th at the end of that chart week. So it had ONE DAY OF SALES to compete with the rest of the games in the chart list.

If it's still charting low the next week it might be time to get worried about its sales. Currently in the Wii section of Play.com it's ranked 2nd and Amazon.co.uk 11th (this includes things like battery packs, so it terms of actual games it's 6th).

Still with apparently 50 million Wiis out there you'd expect a new game to sell decently no matter how good. Personally I got Madworld and while it's a bit of a laugh it's a very shallow game and far too easy at the start. If the game was brilliant and getting critically acclaimed everywhere but still not selling on the Wii it'd be time to get worried. We'll see how No More Heroes 2:Desperate Struggle does. The first was brilliant but neutered in Europe, in terms of both content and sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd put money on the vast majority of 18's rated games are sold to under 18's.
    Regardless of who actually ends up playing the game - according to what I've heard reported on American gaming podcasts, enforcement of the age rating system is more successful when it comes to games, than it is for film. I believe a figure of 80% success rate was bandied about.
    I think everyone is missing one key detail - Madworld came out on March 20th at the end of that chart week. So it had ONE DAY OF SALES to compete with the rest of the games in the chart list.

I was just wondering about that... interesting if true!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fnz wrote: »
    Regardless of who actually ends up playing the game - according to what I've heard reported on American gaming podcasts, enforcement of the age rating system is more successful when it comes to games, than it is for film. I believe a figure of 80% success rate was bandied about.

In america they take it more seriously. You get asked for id even if you look old when buying an 18s game.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I could hardly disagree more to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Still with apparently 50 million Wiis out there you'd expect a new game to sell decently no matter how good.

Not necessarily. I hate to say it, but I plugged mine out a few months ago to accomodate an external drive for the PS3/PC and i've had no urge whatsoever to switch it on. I've not even gone near the games->consoles->nintendo area of boards.ie in an age.

I don't think i'm alone in this. Bring on the next Zelda and i'll fire it up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I reckon getting all those review copies mailed to you has kept you out of the stores lately:p

You cant move on there on the weekends for kids picking out wii games then getting heir parents to queue and pay for them.

sure the average gamer is in their late 20s/early 30s according to pretty much every bit of research done in the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

What the hell is madworld?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Madworld is black and white and red all over!
    A kinda 3D Smash TV with gruesome fatalities and great audio, well worth a look, once you are over 18!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Hmmm when you put it like that it sounds good! haha yea im 19

Undead wrote: »
    What the hell is madworld?

http://www.game.ie/Wii/madworld/Review.aspx

its brilliant fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

hey, it could be worse. The chart could be like the japanese one were 2 x ps2 games are in the top 5.

Japanese chart

No1 game Super Robot Taisen K did have an ad featuring the sexy Shoko Nakagawa.

Advertisement