Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ram for fujitsu Siemens

Options
  • 24-03-2009 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Ok so after posting in several other threads for ideas on how to trouble shoot my laptop which was mostly stuff I knew just was too stupid to cop onto..
    I need to upgrade my RAM on a fujitsu siemens Amilo M 6450G series. It's the only *mod* on the laptop and all I really plan on doing. I plan on keeping the budget on the lower end of 20euro and have 1GB upgrade in mind to total my laptop to 1.5GB RAM.

Now i'm not too sure as to what pins are but i'm guessing its the amount of connections. According to several sites, My laptop has 200 of these.
    I've narrowed down two sites with some help and google.
    This one Here Should fit like a glove yes?

While this one,here Shouldn't?
    Reason is that one has 240pins?

Just to save myself a total error of buying something that won't fit!
    I've ran through several stickies and I hope I won't get kicked or laughed off the forum for asking what is probably something simple but i'm just cautious..

Thanks well in advance
    Regards,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Adder1

try crucial they have a scanning utility that can check what you need

www.crucial.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Crucial are the Komplett suppliers.. They said nothing can be found unless I manually scan at which, i'm afraid my knowledge runs out :(
    soo 200 or 240 was I right? have a week to pay day anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You need sodimm ram, that second one you linked to isn't for laptops, it is for desktops. The first selection is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Cpuz will tell You exactly whats occupying the slots in your laptop, under the SPD tab. Then shop on memoryc.ie, You'll be needing SO-Dimm for a laptop, match the speed of whats already in there

Cheers for that guys thanks! I shall be buying the ram by the end of the week :)
    Wish me luck!

• Advertisement

Hey all. I ran CPUZ and found something interesting. under SPD tab it gave the option to view up to 4 slots. Is that just a default configuration or could my machine have 2 slots free?

Second, more important question; I currently have 2X 256MB RAM. If I remove one and replace it with 1GB of RAM (leaving the other slot with one of the 256 slots.) Will I have (in easy terms) 1.25GB of ram or would there be a compatability issue requiring me to upgrade both slots?

thanks again!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

congo_90 wrote:
    under SPD tab it gave the option to view up to 4 slots. Is that just a default configuration or could my machine have 2 slots free?

Nope, just CPUz being a twat :rolleyes: Often a motherboard chipset could in theory support four slots but its not physically feasible (either in terms of cost or space or electrical connections within the PCB) with some mATX and virtually all laptop motherboards so only two physical slots are soldered in.
    Will I have (in easy terms) 1.25GB of ram or would there be a compatability issue requiring me to upgrade both slots?

You could do it (if you matched speeds and latencies or the chipset forced such for you) but it strikes me as pointless for several reasons: first, most memory is supplied in matching pairs for dual-channel anyway so you're likely to buy either two 512MB sticks or two 1GB sticks anyway; second you'd lose performance from the mismatched modules as depending on the age of the chipset you'd lose most or more probably all Dual Channel capability.

Solitaire wrote: »
    Nope, just CPUz being a twat :rolleyes: Often a motherboard chipset could in theory support four slots but its not physically feasible (either in terms of cost or space or electrical connections within the PCB) with some mATX and virtually all laptop motherboards so only two physical slots are soldered in.

You could do it (if you matched speeds and latencies or the chipset forced such for you) but it strikes me as pointless for several reasons: first, most memory is supplied in matching pairs for dual-channel anyway so you're likely to buy either two 512MB sticks or two 1GB sticks anyway; second you'd lose performance from the mismatched modules as depending on the age of the chipset you'd lose most or more probably all Dual Channel capability.

lol ok so just a software glitch regarding cpuz

Anyways im terms of memory. I should buy matching pairs otherwise not bother at all is what your saying (in terms of performance). Seems understandable. Me thinks an upgrade to 2GB should see her another year or 2 :) anything else I should look out for?

Hey all.
    ordered the RAM on thursday, It arrived today! :) That orcalogic.co.uk website is handy. They did forget the anti-static strip so i just touched the sink lol.
    was so excited I installed in straight away but came across a problem. My laptop originally was 512MB (2X256)
    Strangely when i opened up the laptop I could only locate one memory slot (which was what i planned on swapping out anyways). But I don't know where the other is. I'm just curious now.
    The Ram install was succesful i now have 1.24GB of ram. Boot up times and running applications is turbo charged! :)
    See pic attatched. that is the one Ram slot I found (centre screen). What am I missing?

O...K... that's weird... :confused:

Most laptops place the second SODIMM slot directly underneath the first but usually just a little bit forward so you can reach it. From the position of the chipset heatsink I'm guessing that's not the case... have you checked under the first slot (with the memory removed of course) for any sign of a second one?

• Advertisement

Yea when i removed there was no other place for the ram or anything remotely similar to a ram slot. There is however, another section of the laptop still covered but I doubt it be so far away.

Oops. Turns out its a known issue - those kerrrrrazy Fujitsu lads hid the other SODIMM under the flippin' keyboard! :rolleyes:

Oh I see now! well thats an awful awkward place to put it! thanks for that solitaire!
    Any have any use for a 256mb module? No good to me now apparently :)

Advertisement