Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new house buddies - Mr. and Mrs. Rat

Options
  • 24-03-2009 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Not for the faith hearted.

Ok been living in apartment. and lately i have heard the pitter patter of tiny feet i seem to be joined by a family of rats.

Now I have contacted my landlord and told her about my new room mates. I bought poison and traps myself i told her i bought them and she said she would get pest control when the pest control showed up it was just a man who takes the rubbish no professional experience of the removal of rats. He used my poision and trap wont buy any equipment him self and now they wont repay me for the equipment i bought.

I have now been told to remove my stuff asap but i have no where to go. the land lord told me that she has no other apartments (she owns the main letting agents in the town) I am now about to become homeless and lose all the food and money i spent to remove the rats (the reason i spent the money was because it took her 4 days to even call to see the apartment let alone do any thing) I am now spending money out of my pocket communiting up and down to open the door and wait for this guy to call daily to check my trap. (i wont give the key as I still have my stuff there and i am waiting till i can get one of my friends to help me move)

Now i want to know does the landlord have and requirements such as rehousing me remibursing my money for the traps and poison compensation for lost items (food i bought lose of accomodation..etc.) i know it may sound a bit extreme but i am one of the many who has lost my job and was made homeless a few months back SW housed me in this hole. I am penny less and have just gotten out of hospital.

If any one can give me a bit of advice i would appreciate it (be kind)

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Contact threshold.

To be honest- from personal experience- I found sonic deterents the best way to rid rodents from properties. What you have to remember in an apartment scenario- is that you are unlikely to be the only host apartment for the rodents- if they are in one unit you can be bloody sure they are in others.

The problem with poisoning them is they are likely to die behind partition walls etc- and by rights you really should be locating the dead bodies and disposing of them in a proper manner.

Contact threshold immediately- they will explain what your rights are.

Btw- it could well be that the Management Company for the apartment complex could in actual fact be the people in charge of ridding the place of vermin- not the individual landlords. I am making an assumption that they have been made aware of the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Silently loud

Just to update

Spoke to treshold told me to go to hse ..

Went there and no apartments or houses available for my budget.

So now i am homeless and living in friends houses and SW are suspending my payments until i have an address that they can send me payments to.

The payment i recieved can only be sent to me house the option of bank is not available.

So great way to start now homeless and no money.

lets all raise a glass to our government. fingers crossed for the budget next week they might actually find away for me to pay them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

in relation to removing of rats - the best way and the only sure way as I've seen this working in outsheds, farms etc... is to catch one live and burn it alive. The rats move out. Not the most animal friendly way but thats it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    in relation to removing of rats - the best way and the only sure way as I've seen this working in outsheds, farms etc... is to catch one live and burn it alive. The rats move out. Not the most animal friendly way but thats it.

Not very appropriate in residential accommodation tbh......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

better the rats left homeless than the humans though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

mrgaa1 wrote: »

:eek: come on. Can't believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Rat traps? You don't need to spend your money on rat traps. I've had a rat problem at my apartment before and found that bread soaked in thick liquid bleach works like a charm. I fed the rat a whole packet of rat poison and he kept coming back for more but once a friend told me about the bread trick, I never saw the rat again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

confuzed wrote: »
    :eek: come on. Can't believe.

it works - trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I was criticised on another forum for suggesting to use rat poison to get rid of a rat (this was before I found out about the bread solution). I hate to think what those people would say about Mr Gaa's suggestion. The animal lovers on this other forum suggested I should trap the rat and release it into the woods. There's no *€&?! way I'm going to spend money on a cage, handle the rat and drive all the way to the woods just to be "humane" to some disease ridden rat.

Ok i dont think the rats lost sleep about any of the people they have bitten and nearly killed. so i wont lose sleep about them dying in a trap.

The trap was a quick death (little hole the minute they put their head in to get the food the lid of the hole snaps down breaks their neck. (the older traps were very mean you would find the trap half way across the room cos the rats would be still alive and trying to escape from it. ... at least I DIDNT USE THEM or the glue which was horrible)

The point of this is I am homeless (but for all the rat lovers they have my house so they are ok)

I need to know what should i do Social Welfare wont pay me cos I dont have an address and i cant find a house/apartment that will be covered by the rent allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I don't get it.

Why did you leave the apartment if you were happy to stay & take on the rats with poison/traps etc.? And were successful in killing at least one of them off.

HAve you been evicted or not?

Beem evicted. I wasnt happy I thought i could get another place. but now i have nothing.

Advertisement