Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof of Eircom screwing me

Options
  • 24-03-2009 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

As mentioned in a previous thread everyone is experiencing slow speeds with Eircom, and I can only assume its the contention ratio and they are screwing me sideways.

Theyre sending out a new router, but theres no need, I will change ISP next week.

See the below image, a speedtest each hour, notice how crap it is during the day...and how its gets better and better as ppl go to bed. NEARLY to what I pay them for (3mb)

http://usera.ImageCave.com/SeantheMan/eircomass.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

IMO you're not being "screwed" just didn't read your contract when signing up to eircom thoroughly? you're just pointing out what im sure 85% of all people here have experienced.
    on a side note, Interesting to see how the speed inscreases so much with less traffic. Kind of reminds me of dial up and trying to connect during peak times where it was near impossible compared to at less social hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

jaysus. Bit of a differance alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'm not sure which way the contract was or if it has evolved.
    This has only happened within the past 2 months,

I've been a happy customer of Eircom since Broadband came out in my area(Ireland),,,,,January 2004 i think.

I've no other option but to change provider, ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Change to who? Digiweb, BT, Perlico, Vodafone etc just re-sell Eircom. Are You on a LLU exchange? See if You can get smart or BT 24 Mbit (see if Your exchange is on this list). Can You get cable or a better wireless provider?

What You're seing here is contention in the exchange or lack of backhaul and with a 48:1 figure for contention they're not breaking any agreements as long as You're recieving more than 64k. Ring them and harrass them and get Your neighbours to do likewise, hopefully enough noise and You can get them to consider fixing it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So they are screwing you how exactly?

- Did you check yoru SNR margins
    - Did you rule out any physical or internal wiring issues in your home
    - Did you ring eircom and allow them to properly troubleshoot your issue and raise a fault if required
    - Do you honestly think eircom is out to get you?

If its a line issue changing ISP would make a difference, also I've edited your post as the image breaks tables

• Advertisement

- I've had an engineer out :(
    - There is no wiring issue in my house, the engineer also claimed there was nothing wrong with the exchange.
    - The tech expert on the phone said it was probably a contention ratio issue, he also mentioned that if i were to switch provider that i shouldnt use any company who used ericoms hardware.
    -Theyre sending out a new modem to check every possibility too

Unfortunately I cannot get the BT 24mb on my exhange, (Palmerstown) , so I think NTL would be the best bet as they have their own lines etc don't they that use the cable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I'm from Palmersotown to Sean. NTL don't deliver BB service to my house. Although Palmerstown is big so maybe where you live it might be different. Make sure to ring them and dont use their website which checks for you. Because it lies. I live in woodfarm and it says I can get BB, but over the phone ive been told many times I can't.

I have the BT 24mb package (7.6mb for Palmerstown). It's perfect.

Option 2 (3mb)
    €32.63
    per month

Option 3 (7.6mb)
    €42.67
    per month

I'm from Palmersotown to Sean. NTL don't deliver BB service to my house. Although Palmerstown is big so maybe where you live it might be different. Make sure to ring them and dont use their website which checks for you. Because it lies. I live in woodfarm and it says I can get BB, but over the phone ive been told many times I can't.

I have the BT 24mb package (7.6mb for Palmerstown). It's perfect.

Option 2 (3mb)
    €32.63
    per month

Option 3 (7.6mb)
    €42.67
    per month

Really ?? I actually live in clondalkin, near liffey valley..but I'm on the Palmerstown exchange.
    Do BT use eircoms lines ?......or do you find your speed consistently high ??
    Its actually driving me insane atm as I can't play in clan matches etc
    Would you have gone NTL had you the choice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I switched from eircom to Smart about a month ago. Couldn't be happier. Got the 4Mb connection, and I'm switching up to the 8Mb tomorrow. Much faster, and the same price.

Advertisement