Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Cust Rel.and My second faulty 160gig iPod!

Options
  • 24-03-2009 2:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I'd like your thoughts on my situation. In June 2008, I bought a 160gig iPod classic. From day 1 I didn't like it. Verrrrrry verrrrrry slow response when I clicked on anything - I know why they discontinued that model.Anyway, that's neither here nor there!

In October, my computers (PC runs on Vista; Laptop runs on XP) couldn't see it. I could charge it and play it but could not add or delete any files cos it couldn't be seen by iTunes. Went back to the shop in Cork where I purchased and they told me to call back in a week and they would have a replacement - and they did.

Now, four months later, I have noticed lines appearing on the screen of the replacement iPod (dead pixels?) and they appear to be spreading slowly. Now I am totally pissed off with the 160g model and don't really want another as I have won an 80g in the meantime. So, this time I decided to deal directly with Apple in the hope of getting a credit note instead of another cr*p ipod.

First customer serv. guy was adamant that the ipod I had was bought in Jan08 and was out of warranty. I asked for his supervisor who told me to email a copy of my original receipt and he updated their records to show I purchased the original in June08. As it takes 24 hours for this update to appear on their system, I must ring them again tomorrow with my complaint number and they will arrange to repair/replace this second ipod.

This will be my third 160g ipod and will have only 90days warranty as the warranty starts on the date I bought the first ipod. Very unfair IMO!

I'm hoping they won't have parts or replacements as this model is no longer available. I suspect my last replacement was reconditioned, not new and this may have led to confusion about purchase date.

How can I persuade them to give me a credit note instead of another inferior ipod? All ideas welcome....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Apple are very very unlikely to give you a credit note. They will give you a refurbished or new model.

Your only hope of a refund / credit note was with the original shop. Now that Apple have replaced the iPod this is now very unlikely.

Advice; if you really really don't want a 160gb iPod you could sell your refurbished model on eBay or elsewhere.... They fetch good prices. It'll be an unused Apple refurb with a warrantky of 90 days so should be snapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

demand a (cash) refund, if they refuse take them to the small claims court. You have not had reasonable use from your purchase, and its clearly not fit for purpose. Apples's policies do not negate your consumer rights - even if it had lasted 13 months before dying you'd still have a reasonably good case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 nolo77

3DataModem wrote: »

Your only hope of a refund / credit note was with the original shop. Now that Apple have replaced the iPod this is now very unlikely.

Thanks for the helpful comments. The shop were never going to give me a credit note - they would only send the ipod back to Apple on my behalf so I would be no better off.

I haven't sent back the old one yet. I have spoken to Apple and have a Claims Number. Must ring them later to arrange a replacement. I will probably try selling it on eBay. I wonder if the warranty is transferrable? Hmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I wouldn't see the fact that your computer can't recognize your ipod as a fault, It probably just needed the firmware reinstalled.

Also dead pixels can happen on any LCD screen no matter what model, it is easily fixed too.

Really you are not happy about the choice you made to buy the model you did.

All issues have been sorted by the store and manufacturer.

We have all wished we went for the next more expensive option in the argos catalogue after using a new purchase for a while but this doesn't come uinder consumer law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 nolo77

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I wouldn't see the fact that your computer can't recognize your ipod as a fault, It probably just needed the firmware reinstalled.

If it was firmware restoring would probably have sorted it and it didn't. They gave me a new/re-conditioned one.

Really you are not happy about the choice you made to buy the model you did.

I'm not happy because I have bought about 10 ipods over the years and this one is the WORST one I ever had the misfortune to own. It is sluggish going from screen to screen, album art takes ages to load and it hangs for no apparent reason. I know why Apple discontinued it!
    All issues have been sorted by the store and manufacturer.

Agreed. And they will sort any issues with my next one (my 3rd one!) FOR ONLY 90 days as my ORIGINAL warranty will have lapsed!
    We have all wished we went for the next more expensive option in the argos catalogue after using a new purchase for a while but this doesn't come uinder consumer law.

Not so. I do love my gadgets but I don't go for the latest model, I go for the best model for me. Technology hasn't come on far enough yet to manage 160gig efficiently IMO. I don't want another ipod - I have an 80gig and a nano and a shuffle and Apple don't have any other product that would tempt me at the moment. That's the only reason that I would want a credit note!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

nolo77 wrote: »
    Agreed. And they will sort any issues with my next one (my 3rd one!) FOR ONLY 90 days as my ORIGINAL warranty will have lapsed!
    you have rights as a consomer which go far beyond what apple give you in their warranty and you should be dealing directly with the store as this is the only place legally obliged to do anything regarding your consumer rights! your contract is with the store not apple.

the product should be fit for its intended use and also be reasonably durable and now that you are on your third device this is proof enough that it is not reasonably durable.

http://www.eccireland.ie/topics/buyinggoodsandservices/163.html
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping/faults.html
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping/guarantees.html

Advertisement