Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doing the PGDE in Britain

• 24-03-2009 5:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

I'm getting increasingly apprehensive about parting with €6500+ more to pay for the PGDE in Ireland this September and I'm looking at doing it instead in Scotland or Wales/England. I've still got a few important questions outstanding/ in need of confirmation.

1. Is it true that in Scotland they pay your fees, but in Wales/England they give you a bursary instead, a bursary which may be more than the fees depending on your subject?

2. What is the snag; do you have to sign a contract saying you'll work there for a year or something post qualification? I assume they don't part with their own money just to be nice.

3. Does the course over there take in effect 2 years as you have to do a year teaching after your qualification, a year which is part of the Teacher Induction Scheme (http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2007/10/23110000/1). Only when that year is finished will you be allowed to become a fully registered teacher. This at least seems to be the situation in Scotland. Does that also mean that a person who does an Irish PGDE needs to do the same one-year course before they will be allowed register to teach in Scotland? (all of Britain?)

4. Given the cost of the Irish PGDE and the financial relief given to people who do the PGDE in Britain, why do more Irish students not go to Britain? What are the negatives in doing the PGDE over there?

5. When I come home I will apparently have to do a History of Irish Education exam in order to register as a teacher here. Is this true? And what else would I have to do?

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

One other question, do they give you an extra payment if you have a masters or PhD in British schools, as they do in Irish schools? I can't find anything about that in any of the available teachers' salaries lists online.

Advertisement