Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 tonne ramps - where to buy?

Options
  • 24-03-2009 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Anyone know where I can source some ramps? Halfrauds are doing a set of 2 for 60 euro, but I need 4 for obvious reasons, and 120 euro is a bit much. Bricks and Mortar store or online doesn't bother me.

Thanks in advance
    Neuro
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Are you planning on driving the car up onto 4 ramps? Impossible if you don't have a 4x4 on lifted suspension I think.

If you have a normal car then you'll have to jack one end of the car to make it up onto the ramps, which will require one hell of a jack and a couple of concrete blocks could do this instead of the ramps.

I use ramps regularly (pesky citroen front height controller:mad:) and they tend to slip out from under the wheels unless you trap them, I use a crack in the driveway to do this. It is quicker to do than jacking the car onto axlestands however.

Also have a look at windsor auctions, there's a lot of workshop equipment being shifted there, you might even pick up a car lift if you have the space to store it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sounds risky unless you use extra long ramps like these

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Lidl had ramps (looked fairly long too) 2 weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Mmm, wonder where i can get some long ones, although $800 is a tad expensive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

axle stands no good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Be careful with these ramps ... they have a tendancy to shoot forward as you drive up onto them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

colm_mcm wrote: »
    axle stands no good?

That would be my preferred option. Easy peasy with a trolley jack. Much better than those ramps. Axle stands mean that you can take the weight off the wheels which is essential for any repair that involves removing the wheels.

I suppose I can drive up on the front ramps and trolly jack it up at the back and axel stand the rear.

Cheers for the input guys :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I gave away a set of ramps last year on here. They were no use to me because I couldn't drive onto them (low front on car).
    However, had I been able to drive onto them, they would not have held the entire tyre as they weren't wide ehough and there was a bit of a side lip on them so I would have been (presumably unnecessarily) paranoid about damaging the tyre.
    Anyhow, my point is to ensure that your car can get onto them and that it will fit on them!

Mmm, I'll be looking for something over 9 1/4 inches wide so :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

You just can't beat a long reach trolley jack and axle stands. A tyre some logs a beer barrel or anything else you can fit under there to keep the car off your head. I am member of the Jaguar enthusiasts club it's members span the world, 10 have died so far when their cars fell on them. Be safe jam as much stuff under there as you can.

Advertisement