Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot display webpage but seems to be connected to server

Options
  • 24-03-2009 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi Guys,

A non techie here so please bear with me while I try to explain my problem.

I have just bought a Samsung NC10 netbook and am trying to connect it to my Eircom Wireless Router. It runs Win XP and IE6 with an Atheros AR5007Eg wireless network adapter.

I also have a Sony Vaio again running XP with no problems accessing the internet.

I seem to be connected to the Eircom server with the netbook too - but I cannot view/display a webpage. I have tried disabling the McAfee firewall. Could it be a home networking problem or is it possibly as simple as a box ticked wrong somewhere?:confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

More info required I'm afraid, do you get any error messages? How did you setup the first laptop? There are quite a few things it could be. Why do you think you can connect it to the eircom server? (If you could you would be online). What encryption are you using on your wireless network? Can you see the network but not connect? (that would suggest setting or encryption problem) or are you failing to see network at all?
    As a wild guess you ran an eircom cd on the original laptop and got your wireless security id from that. No optical drive on netbook? If I am right you need to get the wireless id from the router (if it is the same as mine just open up a browser and go to its homepage: http://192.168.1.254 or click that link and pick wireless and note encryption key) You need that key to get the netbook onto your network. There are lots of other things it could be though. Any decent PC techie should be able to sort it out for you easily enough.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 36 igora

Thanks Docmol,

I have just come to work and was able to connect here using the same procedure as I did at home and was successful.

I have no optical drive on the NetBook. I tried to open the 192.168 etc.. but had no success there either. I use a WEP key. Its telling me I am connected to Eircom at 54.0Mbps but it just won't display any webpage for me.

I vaguely remember (!!) using a wizard of some sort.. perhaps a home network and am wondering did I check a box in the wrong place or something.

Hope this makes some kind of sense to you. If I did set up a home network share, can I uninstall/delete it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

igora wrote: »
    Its telling me I am connected to Eircom at 54.0Mbps but it just won't display any webpage for me.

Ok, that message doesn't mean that you are connected to the eircom server. It just means that the router wifi access point is called Eircom and that you have connected to it at the maximum wifi speed.

Try a few things for me
    • Open a command shell window [Start -> Run -> type in "cmd" without the quotes and press the enter key]
    • A black box pops up.
    • Type in [again without the quotes] "ping www.boards.ie".
    • After that has run, type "ping 89.234.66.107"
    • Take a screenshot of both outputs and attach them here
      • Press the PRT SC or PRINT or PRINT SCREEN button on your keyboard
      • Open MS Paint : Start -> Run -> type in "mspaint" and press the enter key
      • Then in MS Paint, click on Edit -> Paste
      • Save it
    We'll go from there.

There are a few security issues with your setup but lets get it working first as it MAY not be a problem on your end [unlikely though].

C:\Documents and Settings\name>ping www.boards.ie
    Ping request could not find host www.boards.ie. Please check the name and try again.

C:\Documents and Settings\name>ping 89.234.66.107

Pinging 89.234.66.107 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping Statitistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4(100%)

The pings say you aren't connected to the outside world. There are a few steps to connecting you but as you have 2 pcs and 1 is working fine it shouldn't be 2 hard. Here goes..
    First boot both pcs to xp desktop. Open this mail on the old one.
    At the bottom left of this screen (beside the clock) you should see a little computer icon with "radio waves" coming out of the monitor. Right Click on this and pick Status. This will bring up a window with some info. The second line should say "network" and give the name of your network beside it. Take very careful note of the name of your network. It will probably be "eircom xxxxxxx" with xxxxxx being a number. Write down this number. Close that window.
    Next open up a browser and in the address bar type http://192.168.1.254
    This should bring you to your router home page. If your router is the same as mine (standard eircom blue box) you will see a page with a blue line across the top and a menu down the side (home,firewall,wireless etc.). Pick the option "wireless". This will open the wireless properties page. For the moment change nothing, just carefully write down the Encryption Key. This will be something like 26 digit and letters (a-f). I know it looks like goobledygook but recheck it, if you get 1 letter/digit wrong you're scuppered.
    Now you should have all the info you need to get the netbook online.
    On the netbook you should be looking at the desktop. Right click anywhere on the desktop and pic New=>text document. Double click on this document to open it. Type in the encryption key you noted above. Re-check it. Minimise the document.
    Now to get you on-line. Look at the icon on the netbook that is the computer with the radio waves. Right-Click on it and pick View Available Networks. It should bring up a list of the available networks in your area. Now pick the same one as your other laptop is on. Check the first number you wrote down (Eircom xxxxxx). Double click on this network to connect to it. It should have a little think about this and ask you for the encryption key. That is the second number you wrote down. You can copy and paste it from the new text document you have minimized. You will need to enter it twice, and you won't be able to see it, hence copy and paste.
    If this all goes to plan you should now be online. Try Google. Unfortunately there are a load of things that could be a bit different on your netbook to the way I have done this here. But this is the general way these things are done. If you have a different router or network card driver or blah blah, this might not work as planned. Give it a go anyway. PS Even if all goes to plan your network is very unsecure. If I was living next door to you I could go online with your router very easily. I would advise getting a techie friend to come over and set up your network security. Any techie woth the name could get you online in a few minutes. Post back to let me know how you get on. If you get it going and need a hand with your security settings, let me know
    Dave

• Advertisement

Docmol and RangeR....

Thank you both so much... I am online now:D

I have downloaded AVG free and thinking about Windows Defender. Do you have anybetter suggestions?

Well done. Glad to help although docmol did most of the work.

Hi Igora, glad you're online now. AVG is ok but don't bother installing the bits you aren't gonna use (email scanner). Defender is ok too. These all use lots of resources and can slow your pc down. I try to keep anti-virus s/w to a minimum and just be careful where I surf. You really nead to get on top of your network security as well though. Bart Buschotts gives a good basic tutorial on his blog here: http://www.bartbusschots.ie/blog/?p=793
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 43 foley_b

igora wrote: »
    C:\Documents and Settings\name>ping www.boards.ie
    Ping request could not find host www.boards.ie. Please check the name and try again.

C:\Documents and Settings\name>ping 89.234.66.107

Pinging 89.234.66.107 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping Statitistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4(100%)
    I have the same problem but can't connect to router in browser.network connection saying limited or no connectivity,laptop connected no problem

foley_b wrote: »
    I have the same problem but can't connect to router in browser.network connection saying limited or no connectivity,laptop connected no problem
    Hi limited connectivity can mean lots of things. Is your router set to static ip? You can't ping anything on the net(like boards.ie) until you're online. Have you tried to ping your router? Try the instructions I posted above, if using xp, vista is slightly different.

• Advertisement

If docmols suggestion dosn't work, do this and report back.

• Open a command shell window [Start -> Run -> type in "cmd" without the quotes and press the enter key]
    • A black box pops up.
    • Type in [again without the quotes] "ipconfig" and press the enter key.

Copy the output to here [or paste it or get a screenshot]. It will give us a bit more information.

• Do you have only the one computer on connected to your router, or more than one?
    • Wireless or wired to the router?

ok,at the moment I have a laptop connected via wireless,am trying to connect desktop which had been connected via wireless until I started useing skype and installed webcam and headset,things went downhill after that. windows IP config
    Ethernet adapter wireless network connection :
    connection-specific DNS suffix . :
    autoconfiguration IP address..... : 169.254.119.71
    subnet mask........................... :255.255.0.0
    default gateway...................... :
    tried pinging the router but unsuccessful

Seems like you have set ip address and subnet mask manually and got them wrong? Yuor subnet is from the wrong class of network. Have you tried setting everything to automatic? If using static, your subnet should be 255.255.255.0 and your ip should be 192.168.1.x (where x is a unique number on your network between 1 and 254 but don't use 1 or 254 as these are probably in use) On the laptop open up the network properties dialogue box and look at your tcp settings.

sorry for the delay getting back,tried everything and more without luck.sat down again tonight and tried reloading eircom software-no luck,decided to press the reset button on the router and hey presto my desktop is back online.haven't tied the laptop yet,hopefully it's still ok! thanks for your help:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭conlonbmw

I have E220 wireless, connected and I have att. the ping info.

I still cannot get onto the net, Dell P4 using xp3, can anyone help please

conlonbmw wrote: »
    I have E220 wireless, connected and I have att. the ping info.

I still cannot get onto the net, Dell P4 using xp3, can anyone help please

1. Grrr to the Word Document attachment.
    2. Grrr to the PM directing me to this thread but I won't report you [I get emails when this thread is updated anyway].
    3. Grrr to not starting a new thread of your own.
    4. What is your setup? I have no idea what an E220 wireless is.
    5. What is Att [ah, short hand or txt spk 4 "Attached"]?

Ultimately, give me as much information as you can.

1. What broadband provider are you with [Considering your pings, I am assuming Clearwire, 3, Ripwave?]
    2. You can get on the internet. Your pings prove that. What is more than likely the problem is DNS on your end or your internet provider end.
    3. Are you using the wireless router that was provided by your internet company. Either way give the manufacturer and model name.
    4. Are you using static or dynamic local IP Address [if you don't know, assume dynamic.]
    4. Do this:
    Start -> Run -> Type "cmd" and press enter. [without the quotes]
    Type "ipconfig /all" again without the quotes
    Take a screenshot of the results. If the results scroll off the page then take a screenshot of each section.

Possibly the quickest way of resolving this would be to set your DNS to the following
    DNS1: 208.67.222.222
    DNS2: 208.67.220.220

I can walk you through this once you provide all the information above.

...decided to press the reset button on the router and hey presto my desktop is back online.haven't tied the laptop yet,hopefully it's still ok! thanks for your help:D

:) good stuff.

ok,at the moment I have a laptop connected via wireless,am trying to connect desktop which had been connected via wireless until I started useing skype and installed webcam and headset,things went downhill after that. windows IP config
    Ethernet adapter wireless network connection :
    connection-specific DNS suffix . :
    autoconfiguration IP address..... : 169.254.119.71
    subnet mask........................... :255.255.0.0
    default gateway...................... :
    tried pinging the router but unsuccessful

Actually [for future reference] this is a SPECIAL IP address given to computer by the Windows operating system when it is configured for DHCP but can't find a DHCP server.

OMFGITSTHEWEEKENDHAPPPYBIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!ELEVENTY!!!!2

thanks for the info RangeR,I had the same problem when I tried to log on with the laptop.I reloaded the eircom software and a new IP was set up automatically,desktop and laptop now recieving without problem.B

RangeR wrote: »
    1. to 5.

apologies

Ultimately, give me as much information as you can.

1. What broadband provider are you with [Considering your pings, I am assuming Clearwire, 3, Ripwave?]
    O2 wireless with Huawei E220 dongle
    2. You can get on the internet. Your pings prove that. What is more than likely the problem is DNS on your end or your internet provider end.

3. Are you using the wireless router that was provided by your internet company. Either way give the manufacturer and model name.

Huawei E220 dongle
    4. Are you using static or dynamic local IP Address [if you don't know, assume dynamic.]

4. Do this:
    Start -> Run -> Type "cmd" and press enter. [without the quotes]
    Type "ipconfig /all" again without the quotes
    Take a screenshot of the results. If the results scroll off the page then take a screenshot of each section.

I cannot paste screendump but all it says is windows IP configuration
    Possibly the quickest way of resolving this would be to set your DNS to the following
    DNS1: 208.67.222.222
    DNS2: 208.67.220.220

I tried this in network settings and it made no difference.
    I can walk you through this once you provide all the information above.

• Advertisement

I cannot paste screendump but all it says is windows IP configuration

As Obama said many times "Yes you can" :)
    You did it in your first posting. Just do a screenshot as you did before, paste it into a word docuement, if you want, and attach that this this thread.

As Obama said many times "Yes you can" :)
    You did it in your first posting. Just do a screenshot as you did before, paste it into a word docuement, if you want, and attach that this this thread.

here is the file

I thought you frowned upon GRR word doc

Sorry here it is, thanks for your help, I am sure you would rather be doin something else.

Sorry here it is, thanks for your help, I am sure you would rather be doin something else.

Meh, you're right there. I'd rather be sunning myself on the caribean with a couple of million euro but what ye going to do :)

You're setup looks ok. Your first ping trace shows that you are getting access to the internet as it's showing response times to that ip address.

It seems like a classic case of a DNS issue. I have to admin, I'm not too sure about USB [using mobile network] connections. I would rather defer to someone a bit more knowledgeable in this area.

However, I would definitely ring O2 support and get help off them. It's there product and they should be able to get you up and running within 10 or so minutes [IF they are worth their salt.]

If you do ring them and if they do get you working, it would be nice if you could post a summary in this thread, of what they got you do do.

Meh, you're right there. I'd rather be sunning myself on the caribean with a couple of million euro but what ye going to do :)

You're setup looks ok. Your first ping trace shows that you are getting access to the internet as it's showing response times to that ip address.

It seems like a classic case of a DNS issue. I have to admin, I'm not too sure about USB [using mobile network] connections. I would rather defer to someone a bit more knowledgeable in this area.

However, I would definitely ring O2 support and get help off them. It's there product and they should be able to get you up and running within 10 or so minutes [IF they are worth their salt.]

If you do ring them and if they do get you working, it would be nice if you could post a summary in this thread, of what they got you do do.

Thanks but they were the 1st people I phoned and all they could advise was ping test, new firmware, an uninstall and set it up again.

Nothing worked, so then they told me to call Dell as the modem works on my other PC.

Its wrecking my head and its my sister's PC. Should have done a ghost image on the f*in thing when she got it. Its started as API.dll error.

Now it looks like a rebuild

Thanks but they were the 1st people I phoned and all they could advise was ping test, new firmware, an uninstall and set it up again.

Nothing worked, so then they told me to call Dell as the modem works on my other PC.

Its wrecking my head and its my sister's PC. Should have done a ghost image on the f*in thing when she got it. Its started as API.dll error.

Now it looks like a rebuild

OK, Now we're getting somewhere. You really should provide as much information as possible rather than "It doesn't work".

So, we know that it works on your other computer but not this one.
    We know that you can ping ip addresses but can't surf.
    We know [I think] that your ipconfig looks good.

Are you running any anti virus packages [Norton, Symantec, McAfee, AVG, Avast, other]?
    Are you running and firewall packages [Windows firewall or any of the above as firewall - Internet Suite]?
    What error messages [EXACTLY] do you get [IF ANY] when you boot up your DELL and try to access the internet? Please list them all, no matter how small or insignificant.

This may be a slow and painful thread from here on in but it will be worth it.

Considering that it works on one and not the other, O2 are probably right [but not that helpful] in saying it's probably a problem with the DELL machine rather than their USB modem.

Reply to my questions and we'll go from there.

OK, Now we're getting somewhere. You really should provide as much information as possible rather than "It doesn't work".

So, we know that it works on your other computer but not this one.
    We know that you can ping ip addresses but can't surf.
    We know [I think] that your ipconfig looks good.

Are you running any anti virus packages [Norton, Symantec, McAfee, AVG, Avast, other]?
    Are you running and firewall packages [Windows firewall or any of the above as firewall - Internet Suite]?

Kaparskey 09 newest version not updated as I cannot get online.
    What error messages [EXACTLY] do you get [IF ANY] when you boot up your DELL and try to access the internet? Please list them all, no matter how small or insignificant.

Just the usual you are not connected, but there seems to be a problem with firewall. Will attatch file.
    This may be a slow and painful thread from here on in but it will be worth it.

Considering that it works on one and not the other, O2 are probably right [but not that helpful] in saying it's probably a problem with the DELL machine rather than their USB modem.

Reply to my questions and we'll go from there.

Yes I agree

Kaparskey 09 newest version not updated as I cannot get online.

Just the usual you are not connected, but there seems to be a problem with firewall. Will attatch file.

Disable your firewall. Better still uninstall it. At least until we get you working then install it again straight away.

Hi again, here is the doc.
    thanks

• Advertisement

Hi again, here is the doc.
    thanks

OK, It's possible that you have another firewall running but can't be sure. Can you download and install HijackThis. After it runs, it will give you a log of what it found. Can you poste it here?

It will give me a good idea of what's installed on your computer [maybe including things that might stop your internet working]

Also, this site might be useful but I've never used it so can't vouch for good it is.

I'm off for the night but I'll try to check in tomorrow.

Advertisement