Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Gas Hob advise

Options
  • 24-03-2009 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

I bought a gas hob yesterday with the aim of installing the pipework myself. I was told after buying it that I need to get a gas fitter for installation, because I cant use a standard gas pipe any more. They said a copper pipe has to be connected to hob and ran out thru wall to a regulator, and then connect regulator to gas cylinder using standard gas pipe.

Does this new method sound right to ye?
    Can I not go with just running a flex pipe in thru wall and onto hob like everyone else has ?

Advise will be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That standard sounds right. The flexible pipe supposedly degrades due to the gas and is 'supposed to be replaced every two years, therefore it is not deemed suitable for a permanent installation.

Shops have not been allowed to sell the flexible pipe in lengths of more than a foot or so for nearly a decade, so no one has been running great lengths of it through walls for ages.

I have installed a hob using copper pipe and it is hardly any more difficult than using a flexible pipe. No bother at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

from jan 1st it is illigal for anyone to install or fix any gas appliance ,cooker hob etc ,who is not a registered gas installer (rgi) fine is 15 grand if caught-
    your insurance becomes null and void if you do it yourself ,as far as i know

Advertisement