Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onlive & the end of consoles?

Options
  • 24-03-2009 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

story

I can't open the link here in work but from the engadget snippet
    What if you could stream games, any game, over a decent broadband connection to your PC or Atom-based netbook at the same quality as the PS3? Would you walk away from your beloved console? That's the of hope of Palo Alto-based OnLive. But this is much more than empty rhetoric -- OnLive's been dropping jaws of the press who've seen it working this week
    Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Take-Two Interactive, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, THQ, Epic Games, Eidos, Atari Interactive and Codemasters are already on-board. Expect OnLive to launch this Winter with monthly subscriptions available in "a variety of different pricing packages and tiers, competitively priced to retail.

I must look into this more later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

http://pc.ign.com/dor/articles/965599/onlive-video-demo/videos/onlive_demostream_032309.html
    Ft.com wrote:
    The secret is out.

OnLive, a potentially revolutionary video game service that calls into question the future of consoles, has been unintentionally revealed to the public.

After seven years in stealth mode, OnLive was supposed to be unveiled at a swanky launch on Tuesday evening at the Museum of Modern Art in San Francisco. Thousands of members of the video game industry are in the city for this week’s Game Developers Conference.

Journalists and analysts were pre-briefed under embargo on OnLive’s startling capabilities last week, but Variety magazine broke that embargo on Monday evening, spoiling the start-up’s well-laid plans and opening the floodgates of press coverage.

Put simply, OnLive is cloud computing coming to the TV video game experience years before anyone expected it. Its founders say they have perfected a video compression algorithm that allows games to be delivered from a data centre onto televisions or computers in the same quality as on the latest consoles, and with no noticeable lag in response times.

The games can be played on any bog-standard laptop or PC without the need for a high-end graphics chip using OnLive’s plug-in software or on a TV connected to a box the size of a pack of cards that may well be given away for free.

Seeing is believing and, in the demo I was given, two people played the graphically demanding Crysis game with one another via the data centre with no noticeable lag, while a third cruised a matrix of scores of screens where games were in session. They could zoom in and watch, play solo or join multiplayer sessions.

OnLive is given added credibility by its pedigree. Its founder and chief executive is Steve Perlman, who led the development of the QuickTime video standard at Apple and then founded in the 90s WebTV, the TV-based internet service bought by Microsoft.

The service is also receiving backing from major publishers and developers at launch, who no doubt see the revenue advantages of cutting out the middle men of retail shops and royalty-demanding console platforms.

Analysts I spoke to were impressed, but expressed concern about whether OnLive could scale its service and provide the necessary reliability to satisfy gamers using it on a national scale. They also felt the company could quickly be copied or become an acquisition target for a Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo, if they felt their consoles were being cut out of the gaming equation.

OnLive still has a lot to prove. It is beginning by showing 16 titles on the service at this week’s conference and plans to offer the service in the US through a monthly subscription from this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I see it being bought, maybe by Nintendo? Imagine being able to play Crysis on your Wii? Would open an entirely new market, as well as being provided on a cheap console, that is already very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

If the promise can live up to the hype it should be very interesting indeed. Me thinks all 3 console makers would be tussling to get a bit of that action.
    Microsoft to maintain its dominant online position, Sony to perhaps ditch the ps3 cause of losses and Nintendo to steal a march on everyone with their huge console ownership base. (Though would nintendo bit the bullet and go for a platform that would have so many non family based games>?)

My main worry is our bb infracture here, no way we'd see that 1ms latency here!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

great idea, but wont happen this gen or even next gen i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

IT might look great for two guys playing Crysis, but how's it going to scale if you've got tens of thousands trying to do the same thing?

Plus surely it's going to lead to people hitting their monthly caps an awful lot sooner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Too good to be true. Sorry, I don't think it's going to work out on a national/international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Lag will be its killer alright.

That and pessimism. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

great idea, but wont happen this gen or even next gen i reckon

its out this year

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Helix wrote: »
    its out this year

i meant the end of console gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Elessar wrote: »
    Too good to be true. Sorry, I don't think it's going to work out on a national/international level.

Or it'll work everywhere but Ireland :(

🤪

• Advertisement

i meant the end of console gaming.

depends how well this works really

not like these guys are new to this stuff either http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1996_Feb_12/ai_17961375

theres an article from just over 13 years ago

hah! nice find!

Don't see the end coming. Consoles and PCs are set up for two different things really. Look at the Wii against PC for example. Two different target demographics and purposes. Similar arguments could be made for consoles vs PC. One you will play in your living room and built for having friends over (consoles) while the other is better for certain types of games (imo :D).

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Don't see the end coming. Consoles and PCs are set up for two different things really. Look at the Wii against PC for example. Two different target demographics and purposes. Similar arguments could be made for consoles vs PC. One you will play in your living room and built for having friends over (consoles) while the other is better for certain types of games (imo :D).

ok this isnt about pc gaming tho

this is a little box that lets you play games without needing an expensive console, and means you never have to upgrade

its ever so slightly different to consoles v pc, this changes everything

its one box that does the whole lot, forever

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I dont see it working for at least a good few years.Far too many things could go wrong. How many systems are they gonna need to run these games?(they have to be run on something). How would their servers hold up to thousands of connections? How much? How much lag(1ms me arse.In a controlled enviroment for investors yeah, publics another issue)? BB caps? Any game they decide to take down means no more playing of it again?If 1 server goes down how many cant play? etc etc. You get the idea. Yes im am a bit cynical :D

Helix wrote: »
    ok this isnt about pc gaming tho

this is a little box that lets you play games without needing an expensive console, and means you never have to upgrade

its ever so slightly different to consoles v pc, this changes everything

its one box that does the whole lot, forever

Hmmm...I don't seem to be getting it :o Must investigate further (rather than digging a very deep hole :D)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I dont see it working for at least a good few years.Far too many things could go wrong. How many systems are they gonna need to run these games?(they have to be run on something). How would their servers hold up to thousands of connections? How much? How much lag(1ms me arse.In a controlled enviroment for investors yeah, publics another issue)? BB caps? Any game they decide to take down means no more playing of it again?If 1 server goes down how many cant play? etc etc. You get the idea. Yes im am a bit cynical :D

I agree with all your points, I cant see this type of thing working..........yet.

CC

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Too many variables for me to call this "OMFGWIN!" but it's a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

For anybody who doesn't understand how this works.

You can have any machine capable of displaying a 2d movie over youtube. This includes 4-6 year old laptops running a tiny linux kernel.

What you will be sending will be keyboard inputs mainly.

All the stress of rendering the game will be placed on a high powered sever.

The following Video will be compressed and sent to the machine and displayed on the screen.

All the laptop will be doing is displaying a video and sending inputs.

Lag on a good broadband connection should be around 50ms, which isn't bad really. I've seen and used a very similar set-up with Citrix, their new Xen desktop solution is so very close to this its unreal to see. I was tempted to set up a Citrix server to see if I could get games running on a Dumb terminal recently, but haven't had the time or the equipment handy.

The problems with this, even on a basic Citrix set-up on really high powered servers you see about 25 users max. On this set-up I would be shocked to find more then 5 per server. And the servers, maintenance and bandwidth would cost a hell of a lot of money.

To put it in perspective, you would be talking about 30-40 times more costs in equipment then what a MMO like WOW would run on(as they aren't rendering the game, just coordinating it). Those costs would have to be transferred to the customer. Once you start talking about 40Euros a month plus extra costs for game rights etc, thats when your going to have a hard sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

From Engadget comments:
    This is a ridiculous idea for a number of reasons... the amount of bandwidth this service will generate would be obscene, and if it becomes even slightly popular the cash they'll need to spend on Crysis-capable PCs will greatly eclipse any money they'd earn from subscription fees.

Besides, if you really want a game badly enough, why wouldn't you want it in your collection, as opposed to a server thousands of miles away? You stop paying the monthly fee and you lose everything. Couple that with the probability that the service won't perform as well for ordinary customers as it would in a demonstration for investors and select members of the press, and it seems likely that OnLive will follow in the footsteps of GameTap as an ambitious, but ultimately failed venture.
    Ummmmm, anybody ever think about the fact that this is, in fact, /impossible/ with our infrastructure? I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but here's a thought: video compression != latency. You can throw 250MB down connections, heck you could probably be on a gigabit LAN with the server itself, and you wouldn't be able to pull it off. When you think about what gamers are used to, the latency they deal with (and notice) is the difference between a 4 and 8 ms response time on their screens. Try pinging a major server like google.com right now, I can wait.

Notice those numbers? On my college campus, I get around 35-45ms. Where I am now? 68ms. That's the amount of time it takes for a packet to get responded to, and even that cut /in half/ would be very noticeable lag (to the point of it being unplayable). So yeah, maybe their system lets the video compression/decompression happen in less than 1ms -- it doesn't matter when your pipe only moves data so fast. I don't like posting those nay-sayer "come on, Engadget, think things true" kinds of posts. I honestly don't. But really. Am I missing something here? Isn't it a week early for April fools?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

They are all wrong, its very easy to do. The bandwidth is minimal, about 3-5kbs downstream with video if using the same compression as Citrix is currently using. Honestly the tech is there, I'm not surprised somebody is going for it.

people dont seem to realise that these guys have been working on this for 7 years

theyve kept it quiet for this long, i strongly doubt theyre announcing it without it working

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

They've done bloody good to keep it quiet this long

I first heard it here, but every other forum I visit today, its become the hot topic and lots of discussions over whether or not it will work.

Sounds interesting but im gonna wait until theres more info

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Engadget's just a breeding ground for American know-it-alls, why would you listen to the commenters?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Engadget's just a breeding ground for American know-it-alls, why would you listen to the commenters?
    Because he's one of them??!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Some people at kotaku had a go on the beta system
    What about lag, you say? OnLive's technology "incubator" Rearden Studios claims that its servers will deliver video feeds that have a ping of less than one millisecond. Its patented video compression technique is also advertised as blazing fast, with video compression taking about one millisecond to process.

Ahh....so its not lag over the interweb they were talking about when i read 1ms lag time
    We too were a little suspicious of OnLive's capability to deliver perceptually lag-free on-demand games. But then we played a hasty online game of Crysis Wars on the service today and became a little less suspicious. It seemed to work. Obviously, it was in a controlled environment with only a few hundred internal beta testers populating the system. But it worked.

Will it work in the wild? It might. OnLive is currently beta testing internally, with an external beta planned for Summer and a launch later this year. Expected to be deployed by launch will be five server centers hosting the latest and greatest games—OnLive isn't aiming to be GameTap, with no immediate plans to host archival PC games. Server clusters will be located in Santa Clara, Texas, Virginia and elsewhere, hoping to offer OnLive subscribers within 1,000 miles a seemingly lag-free experience.

We'll be testing the service later this week, letting you know what we thought.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Scruff wrote: »
    My main worry is our bb infracture here, no way we'd see that 1ms latency here!

That latency isn't the total latency just the additional latency needed to process everything their end. So if you can ping them in 30ms then if you were to play the game it would only be 31ms. Now, if that'll be true when there is a couple of thousand people playing at the one time is another thing.

It's an interesting idea but we really need to see more. It's only 720p at the moment which I think is a bit of a let down. Although the bandwidth and processing power needed for 1080p and above would severely limit it in that regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Its definitely one for the future. Cloud computing IS the future so applications like this one will be more an more common in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

They are all wrong, its very easy to do. The bandwidth is minimal, about 3-5kbs downstream with video if using the same compression as Citrix is currently using. Honestly the tech is there, I'm not surprised somebody is going for it.
    So they can stream a 720p video image using about 3-4kb/s. Bull the creators even say it will take a 1.5mb line to run in SD and 4-5mb for 720p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

wow so you mean I can now pay a premium for a service that will now mean that not only will my email and web access go down when my internet dies, but now my entire gaming collection will be unplayable also. SOLD!!! show me the dotted line!!! having all my media dependant on Irelands crappy ISPs keeping my line up is a great idea :rolleyes:

EDIT: On a non-sarcastic note. I don't know about others, but I tend to game a lot more if my internet dies as it doesn't require an internet connection. I think the idea of this is excellent, but it will only work if the ISP's can guarantee near 100% uptime for everybody.

Advertisement