Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onlive & the end of consoles?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Yeah definitely the pricing. When the competition for this comes out then it will get interesting, plus they need to add an achievement/trophy element, that would get more people into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Onlive appeals to me, just because im very intruiged as to how the technology works, and if it really does what its supposed to do, i'd probably buy it.

sorry póg ;)

Your not really cherry? Your internet is terrible is it not!?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

http://gizmodo.com/5567821/onlives-tv+based-microconsole-dropping-by-end-of-year

and a review of the tech in a home environment, with pricing. In essence you can buy the game outright (eg. $50) or 'rent' for 3-5 days for between $5 and $7. With schemes varying per game.

http://gizmodo.com/5567770/onlive-streaming-game-service-tested-at-home-finally

I think its far from replacing Steam or PC Gaming yet, but its come far from being a half baked idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

They were originally supposed to have full release this month, it was only this morning/yesterday that the announced to put it back 6 months. Wonder what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

It's out in America,or at least the beta is afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hmmmm while I can see it's merits I won't be anxiously awaiting a release here, that's if we even get one.

Broadband speeds and Caps for average users here mean stuff like this and netflicks ain't worth it for performance reasons etc (I'm looking at you vodafone :mad: ).

Also I think something like this would be more successful if it was offered in conjunction with a TV package from sky or more appropriately UPC given their tv and internet deals are fibre based in many areas. You could rent a game then the same way you rent from sky box office etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Those that played the beta complained of lag, it can't work, latency will always exist. I detest even playing with a wireless mouse and CAN feel it, this would have 100 times the latency

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Precisely.

ScrabbleHD.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Those that played the beta complained of lag, it can't work, latency will always exist. I detest even playing with a wireless mouse and CAN feel it, this would have 100 times the latency
    I seriously think mouse lag is all in your head.

Overheal wrote: »

Not at all, in fact I still have the mouse, its used on the kids pc and I can feel very slight mouse lag even browsing. I've read of pc gamers who played SF4 on pc then tried it on console said they noticed huge input lag on wireless controller compared to a usb controller, their combo moves just didn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Overheal wrote: »

No, you can feel it with a wireless mouse especially if you then use a good wired razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭martinstatic

The signals and commands sent are tiny in comparison to the packets delivered, if there's any lag it's down to lazy programming on the developers part.

Anyway, I got my OnLive e-mail today, 1 year free and a coupon for 1 free game, nice.
    Sadly I need to wait for it to come available in Ireland. :(

The signals and commands sent are tiny in comparison to the packets delivered, if there's any lag it's down to lazy programming on the developers part.

Anyway, I got my OnLive e-mail today, 1 year free and a coupon for 1 free game, nice.
    Sadly I need to wait for it to come available in Ireland. :(

But onlive aren't just sending signals and commands, they're sending HD video and sound as well, it will never work unless everyone has a fibre to the home connection (ie not ever in this country) and even then there will still be lag and/or contention.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    But onlive aren't just sending signals and commands, they're sending HD video and sound as well, it will never work unless everyone has a fibre to the home connection (ie not ever in this country) and even then there will still be lag and/or contention.

I was talking about wireless mice and gamepads.
    As for Onlive, it requires 5 Mb/s for HD streaming...I'm assuming it has gone through extensive testing before it all went into development, production and investments, but who knows?

I'll post up results once I test it anyways, until then I'm sticking with good ol consoles and PC! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Krieg wrote: »
    They were originally supposed to have full release this month, it was only this morning/yesterday that the announced to put it back 6 months. Wonder what happened?

It is a pretty ambitious problem, no end to the issues they may have encountered and need to iron out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Did it make a show at E3 at all ?

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Yup, was at the booth's, no press release or presentations though.
    Ah well, OnLive is refusing me because I live in Ireland atm anyways. Asswipes :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Apart from the obvious problems of lag and connection issues, my primary concern lies with the success or failure of OnLive.

If I buy 20 Games over two years with the OnLive service and they go down the tubes due to not enough people adopting their idea, what happens to my account and games? Also, this is just another form of the notorious DRM Ubisoft have implemented on titles such as Assassin's Creed. If your internet goes down, how do you play your games?

There is only so much grace I am willing to invest in a service, especially when I spend a lot of money on it. STEAM suits me perfectly. Offline Mode is the safe backup I can rely on should I lose my internet connection.

Liber8or wrote: »
    Apart from the obvious problems of lag and connection issues, my primary concern lies with the success or failure of OnLive.

If I buy 20 Games over two years with the OnLive service and they go down the tubes due to not enough people adopting their idea, what happens to my account and games? Also, this is just another form of the notorious DRM Ubisoft have implemented on titles such as Assassin's Creed. If your internet goes down, how do you play your games?

There is only so much grace I am willing to invest in a service, especially when I spend a lot of money on it. STEAM suits me perfectly. Offline Mode is the safe backup I can rely on should I lose my internet connection.

Not only that but most Irish internet users have download limits, and the kind of people that would use onlive are heavy gamers, who'll be making use of it and playing for hours. Hours of constant HD streaming a day?

When NGB comes in Eircom are gonna be enjoying the excess downloads and bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

We've yet to see the pricing model for Ireland. Regarding the US service, Reuters article says monthly charge will be "substantially less than the $14.95 price it originally announced" - but "games will cost as much as $60 to buy".

ISPs may have something to say about the amount of extra data streaming down your pipes.

It's not looking too appealing at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

This is interesting in that , its a long way away from convincing people to wanna use that instead of their console or PC...BUT the thought of being able to play a modern game on your ****ty laptop or netbook or whatever...hell even your net phone... well theres deffo a market there for casual gaming at least.

They'd have to be single player games though, trying to compete in online gaming with this service would be crazy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Channel

thought this was begining to sound familiar.

Historically it was not a bad concept. A few obstacles, like you have here. But ultimately it only died out because the console did, and they never iterated it again due to internet speculation during the .com bubble.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sega channel however downloaded a rom to flash memory meaning the game footage wasn't being streamed and there was no lag involved. It's more like Steam than OnLive.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ewww the PC software supports 360 pads only and has mouse issuesssssszzzzz

OnLive has come 10 years too soon imo. Most countries don't have the infastructure for their service, hardware tech isnt advanced enough to wipe out lag as a common issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

well services like this might push the internet infrastructure on to progress, necessity being the mother of invention

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Oh Sega... is there anything you didn't pioneer 10 years too early?
    *sniff*
    Nintendo's approach of "cautiously & with old tech" proved itself superior in the real business world, but your innovation will be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

SeantheMan wrote: »

yeah and it worked fantastically well

launched in the states on thursday

most likely wont ever make it over here, was talking to a couple of the guys and they were laughing when i was telling them the state of the broadband infrastructure over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭johanz

Yep most irish internet is stuck in 20th century.
    Download limits are so last century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Keith Sherwood

I Signed up for the Beta about 3 months ago, and got a free game and free service for a year.... i just happend to go on a 3 month vacation to virgina, 50 miles from washinton D.C. Onlive Server..... got the onlive plugin which is 700kb.. and all ive got to say is Wow!

Bearing in Mind that i have a 20Meg line! But holy smokes, the service is amazing to say the least... :):):):):):):):):):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭johanz

I Signed up for the Beta about 3 months ago, and got a free game and free service for a year.... i just happend to go on a 3 month vacation to virgina, 50 miles from washinton D.C. Onlive Server..... got the onlive plugin which is 700kb.. and all ive got to say is Wow!

Bearing in Mind that i have a 20Meg line! But holy smokes, the service is amazing to say the least... :):):):):):):):):):):):)
    Yes the idea is good, sadly not every place will get good enough internet to use this.

Advertisement