Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huey PRO vs Spyder3 Pro

• 24-03-2009 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hey guys

I never used any calibrating system before and i really dont know what to get, i was thinking about the spyder3 pro but after reading a magazine looks like the Huey pro might be a better option, but some other reviews say otherwise, anyone that have any experience with this 2 devices could give me a help in my decision?

I want for 2 LCD monitors and 1 laptop by the way.

Cheers ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭al_

I cant say for the huey, but the sypder3 is just class. it just works, no hassle at all. reminds me when i need to do a calibration but otherwise just sits there measuring ambient light.
    Highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I have the huey pro which also reminds me when I need to calibrate... When I was trying to decide between the two it came down to price... the Huey pro was ever so slightly cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Does anyone know how these things actually work? i.e. do they just adjust colour through computer settings or are they actually interfacing with your display somehow? The reason I ask is because my main display is a 42" LCD TV which gives me a lot of screen space to work with while in Photoshop, just wondering if these colour profilers are compatible with TVs or just monitors :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Doctor Tunes

i use my huey on both my lcd monitor and my plasma tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

I read somewhere that the huey Pro doesnt calibrate the britness and contrast, but one of the reviews say it does so i really dont know what to think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I have the previous Spyder and must say I'm highly sceptical of these yokes. I think you are as well off using something like Adobe Gamma TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I have the Huey and it works a treat - we also calibrate all our displays in work with them too. If you want to save some cash you can also buy the basic Huey and then upgrade to the Pro later, it's just a different software package. Huey works by creating a custom display profile, you don't need to adjust any settings on your monitor but you do need to keep them the same for the display profile to be accurate. I read somewhere that LCD's don't tend to go out of calibration too much over time, but that CRT's do. I think something like this is essential to bring out shadow detail in LCD's, which can sometimes be all over the place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I use a Spyder 3 Pro, I've found it has made a huge difference in the colour temperature, brightness and saturation on my screen. Many consumer LCDs tend to be overbright and over saturated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

The problem I have with all of these things is not really the software itself. Of course you will see a difference when you use them and it can be dramatic depending on how crap the settings were before hand. Using Adobe Gamma will have the same effect if manually.

No the problem I have is with the monitors capability to adjust itself properly and the software's ability to adjust the monitors. I just don't believe that the flexibility is there in most monitors or graphic cards to accept the changes that the calibration software tries to make automatically.

I could be a million miles wrong though but I would need to be convinced.

As we're on the subject. Just came across this: LaCie

Advertisement