Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

About the eircom big screen advertising in Croke park

• 24-03-2009 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

Does this drive anyone else crazy?

Typical Scenario.
    Keano goes for his regular dive in the box...Everyone shouts penalty...The ref waves it away.

Look to big screen - "REPLAY" Flashes up. Then a bloody eircom ad plays.
    ....Coupled with that Bloody eircom ads blasting out at half time..../rant

Surely my €50 ticket should spare me from eircom propaganda.

The screen in Croker is one of the biggest in the world* Surely it can be used for a few decent replays**.

*Info from croker tour
    **I know FIFA are anal about some replays but they rarely show Any replays.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

So basically, you want the home/bar experience while at a live game. :rolleyes:

They should take the fúcking thing out of the stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Go to the baseball if you want a big screen at the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Are ye mental?
    My issue is not with the screen it's with what's on it.
    I don't care if it's left off.

Focus: It's what's on it....

Even the damn clock on it stops at 45Mins...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I agree with the OP. At the Georgia game when Doyle had that goal off side, the first place everybody looked to see why, was the big screen, just as they were about to show it a big fecking Eircom add came on :mad: Not everybody in croker had a clear view of why the decision was made so the screen would have been the obvious place to look next.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Des wrote: »

He wants a replay actually :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Football authorities have banned the replay of controversial decisions because they are fearful it will aggreviate the crowd. You only get replays of close shots and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I've never seen it. Do they advertise the League on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

egan007 wrote: »
    Does this drive anyone else crazy?

Typical Scenario.
    Keano goes for his regular dive in the box...Everyone shouts penalty...The ref waves it away.

Look to big screen - "REPLAY" Flashes up. Then a bloody eircom ad plays.
    ....Coupled with that Bloody eircom ads blasting out at half time..../rant

Surely my €50 ticket should spare me from eircom propaganda.

The screen in Croker is one of the biggest in the world* Surely it can be used for a few decent replays**.

*Info from croker tour
    **I know FIFA are anal about some replays but they rarely show Any replays.

Welcome to REAL football. If you want replays, stick to your barstool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

SectionF wrote: »
    I've never seen it. Do they advertise the League on it?

Pretty sure they did at the Georgia game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

We're being a bit harsh on the OP.

I've seen this at the Ireland matches too. It is irritating when you think you're going to get another gander at stuff like that offside. Stuff you may have missed because of where you're sitting. As said, you do get a replay of some stuff.

edit: I didn't know that, PHB. Would explain it.

The Replay ads are for the Indo IIRC? Enough reason for irritation in it's own right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ok, people seem to be jumping on the OP here, a little unfairly imo.

He's not saying he wants to watch the big screen at the live game, he's saying he doesn't want to have massive Eircom ads forced on him at every possible opportunity...

I agree.

I hate Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

stovelid wrote: »
    We're being a bit harsh on the OP.

I've seen this at the Ireland matches too. It is irritating when you think you're going to get another gander at stuff like that offside. Stuff you may have missed because of where you're sitting. As said, you do get a replay of some stuff.

edit: I didn't know that, PHB. Would explain it.

The Replay ads are for the Indo IIRC? Enough reason for irritation in it's own right.
    The ref/fourth official made them stop showing replays on the screen at the rovers game vs Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

CiaranC wrote: »
    The ref/fourth official made them stop showing replays on the screen at the rovers game vs Sligo.

Really? Possible incitement because of the goals?

I mostly ignored that screen after the clips they showed at the start tbh. Couldn't see it that well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Them screens are the biggest load of bollox. Its all a fuking con. The thing says replay just to make you look then gives some bull about "tomorrow in the Herald" or some crap like that. wtf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Thanks to the posters who actually read my grievance.

I've been going to Ireland Internationals for 15 Years so I don't need any lessons on how to watch a live match. To repeat I think it's really annoying that they push so much advertising on the big screen, which is unavoidable. The manner which they do it - as the above poster has referred to is particularly annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I've been going to Ireland Internationals for 15 Years so I don't need any lessons on how to watch a live match. To repeat I think it's really annoying that they push so much advertising on the big screen, which is unavoidable. The manner which they do it - as the above poster has referred to is particularly annoying.

It is really annoying but as you said unavoidable.

Some posters on here have serious chips on their shoulders regarding some things. All he was asking was, was about the replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I'd agree that it is annoying. Obviously I don't go to a match to look at the big screen, but if it's there and there's been some controversial decision, I'd have a look up to see if they show it again.

I remember when Andrew's goal was disallowed for offside against Georgia. Had a look up at the screen to get another look at it, up pops that eircom ad with john o'shea coaching kids. To be honest, it would pretty much put me off eircom rather than make me want to rush out and change my internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

CiaranC wrote: »
    Go to the baseball if you want a big screen at the game
    Welcome to REAL football. If you want replays, stick to your barstool.

Jesus lads read the fckn post. No time for the big screen at football. The problem is that it is like a tv in a bar. When its on you find yourself glancing at it even if its a soap opera from Estonia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

nothing wrong with replays in a stadium to be fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I completely agree with the OP. UEFA apparently banned replays of dodgy decisions. No idea why it's banned in Ireland, it's not going to cause a riot ar croker, just a bit of booing.
    Everyone hates these "replays" when the show an ad, you can hear everyone around you giving out about it.
    The Eircom ads just top it off. It's like Eircom wants to p!ss off ireland fans. They must sit around the board room having discussions on how to annoy us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Is it not at this point that we are supposed to be treated to a half-baked economics lecture from someone in a stripy shirt and red braces saying that's the market/real world... football is a business... get used to it?

Advertisement