Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil 2014, who's going??

• 24-03-2009 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭

I'm getting excited about the 2014 World Cup, it's a while away yet but I think I'd prefer to go there than South Africa, regardless of Ireland qualifying. Who's with me?

Are you going to the Brazil 2014 World Cup? 105 votes

Oh yeah! samba, soccer & sun here I come!
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, I've always wanted to see Brazil.
    23% 25 votes
    No, too dangerous. I've seen City of God.
    20% 22 votes
    No too far, too expensive, too early to plan.
    21% 23 votes
    Hmmm I'll vote but I just can't make a decision.
    33% 35 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I voted for every option.

Multiple choice polls ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

If you want to see Brazil just come to Gort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

If you want to see Brazil just come to Gort.

Does Gort have a tropical climate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Des wrote: »
    I voted for every option.

Multiple choice polls ftw.

yay!!

me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

I'm in if you pay for my tickets :)

• Advertisement

Highsider wrote: »
    I'm in if you pay for my tickets :)

Class idea!! Now PM me your bank account details...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Brazil is class... Been twice before. Will defo go for the World Cup..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

What is the setup in Brazil with the location of the stadiums ?

The last time the WC was held 'a long way away', in Japan and Korea, it was easy for fans to get around cos you had a brilliant public transport system and good accommodation options in each city.

I recall hearing on the radio that you would need to fly from city to city in Brazil to get around.

I reckon it would be a pain in the hole of a place to be going for a WC

I'm not excited at all.

What is the setup in Brazil with the location of the stadiums ?

The last time the WC was held 'a long way away', in Japan and Korea, it was easy for fans to get around cos you had a brilliant public transport system and good accommodation options in each city.

I recall hearing on the radio that you would need to fly from city to city in Brazil to get around.

I reckon it would be a pain in the hole of a place to be going for a WC

I'm not excited at all.

Most of the proposed cities are in the south east and along the east coast and as Brasil is practically continent sized, you'd really need to fly to each city, or endure seriously long bus journeys...

Brazil is light years away from being in a position to provide a transport system as efficient as Japan & Korea did, even for a month. So comparing a developing country against a leading member of the G8 is not that helpful. The government will pump in cash to develop the required infrastructure in time for 2014. Accommodation won't be a problem.

Going to Brazil for a World Cup in my opinion would be an adventure. These people know how to party. Check out their Carnaval on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Are they picking by countries with highest crime rate these days?

• Advertisement

Didn't the Taliban put in a bid for 2022?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Ross Kemps spent the last while travelling the world reporting back to FIFA with reports of the best locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

bohsman wrote: »
    Are they picking by countries with highest crime rate these days?

I can't wait till Haiti 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Them Favelas look well dodgy to be honest. Drugs war going on in Rio which would be the main city football wise. The Ross Kemp in Rio didnt paint a pretty picture.

redout wrote: »
    Them Favelas look well dodgy to be honest. Drugs war going on in Rio which would be the main city football wise. The Ross Kemp in Rio didnt paint a pretty picture.

There is only one stadium to be used in Rio, the Maracana.

Favelas are dangerous if you are the wrong sort of person there, ie police or rival drug trafficker. So if you don't fit into these then you're laughing...

Believing Ross Kemp can be dangerous, he could make the Go-Boys Gang in Galway look menacing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Always wanted to go to Brasil and the rest of South America too.. Perfect excuse and plenty of time to save :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

There is only one stadium to be used in Rio, the Maracana.

Favelas are dangerous if you are the wrong sort of person there, ie police or rival drug trafficker. So if you don't fit into these then you're laughing...

Believing Ross Kemp can be dangerous, he could make the Go-Boys Gang in Galway look menacing...

While I havent been to Brazil itself I have been to some central american countries with Barrios/Favelas that would scare the bejesus out of someone. Best not to linger would be my advice. Also the Maracana would probably host the Brazil games and final, possibly a quarter and a semi also so it would be quite a busy place.

redout wrote: »
    While I havent been to Brazil itself I have been to some central american countries with Barrios/Favelas that would scare the bejesus out of someone. Best not to linger would be my advice. Also the Maracana would probably host the Brazil games and final, possibly a quarter and a semi also so it would be quite a busy place.

You're right there. These are not places one would like to linger...
    For sure the Maracana would host Brasil's games and the final. Wouldn't fancy being in Rio if the lost they final, they still haven't gotten over losing the 1950 final...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Nope, too far and Brazil looks like a right hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'll be giving this one a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I'd love to in all honesty.

I was in Rio a couple of years back and i found it a wonderful friendly and vibrant city, and the short time i managed to spend outside the city had some of the most beautiful scenery i have ever seen. Even the city itself did come to think of it.

Unfortunately its a bit early to plan it for me. and probably too expensive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I dont know where ill be living or what ill be doing for a living in 5 years , let alone if ill travel to Brazil for a tournament Ireland may not even be in.

Holsten wrote: »
    Nope, too far and Brazil looks like a right hole.

That's a gas attitude from someone based in Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Eirebear wrote: »
    I'd love to in all honesty.

I was in Rio a couple of years back and i found it a wonderful friendly and vibrant city, and the short time i managed to spend outside the city had some of the most beautiful scenery i have ever seen. Even the city itself did come to think of it.

Unfortunately its a bit early to plan it for me. and probably too expensive.

yeah.. that's bang on the money... really nice people who know how to have a good time.. sun, beaches.. what more could you ask for?

Rio (or Brazil for that matter) is like any other massive city in the world... If you are an idiot you'll get yourself into trouble, e.g. First time I went I was in a group of 5 lads and we were fine in numbers. Some stupid american couple went for a midnight stroll on the copacobana beach and got mugged. Every guide book you read about Rio says not to go on the beach at night as its where the major 'deals' happen, where the gangs hang out etc...

In Daytime it is one of the safer places to be...

So. Don't be an idiot and you'll be grand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That's a gas attitude from someone based in Dublin!

Dublin's not that far for someone based in Dublin!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Dublin's not that far for someone based in Dublin!

Indeed tisn't though I was alluding to Dubliners calling Brazil a hole! :D

Advertisement