Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To DAB or not to DAB, that is the question?

• 24-03-2009 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

I am in the market for a new 'Midi' Audio system for the kitchen/dining area, which should include Radio/ CD/ MP3/ USBport/ Seperate speakers/ 25w RMS X 2 Min, & maybe even a cassette deck (for err indoors) :))

But the Big question is, should I deliberately aim for a DAB Radio unit (seeing as all the FM transmitters are going to be shut down in 2012), or should I not be too bothered about having a DAB radio, and just go for an FM/MW/LW unit?

I mean to say, DAB is the future of Radio, isnt it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Camelot wrote: »
    (seeing as all the FM transmitters are going to be shut down in 2012)
    I mean to say, DAB is the future of Radio, isnt it?

No they are NOT.

Personly. I wouldn't bother with DAB until it's decided what way it's going in this country. FM is going to be around for many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

I haven't got a DAB radio as of yet, but I'd recommend going for one. Rumour has it that incentives will be given to radio stations over the next couple of years if they start broadcasting on DAB - if anyone can confirm this it would be great - I heard that radio licence holders will get an automatic increase to the lenght of their licence if they go DAB (Is this rumour true?).

I'd say it's got a definite future, it may not look great now, but give it a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

I have a DAB radio in my car and the signal is really good, in Dublin anyway, even with my crappy DAB aerial. When the stations are playing a track the artist and title info are displayed on the screen, as well as information on the show, the next show etc.
    I have the RTE digital stations stored on it but it's a shame we can't get any foreign ones like from the UK. I can see the potential though because the RTE Choice station has radio shows from BBC, Sweden, Germany etc. so there could be the option for some Irish station to maybe license some foreign shows over here.
    The main reason for digital of course is because they can fit more stations(services) into the same space as analog. So the obvious upside for that is more stations just like for digital TV. For a station like RTE Pulse which most of the time just plays non-stop dance music, i can't really see there being much cost in terms of labour so it could be cost effective.
    The argument that internet radio will kill DAB could be true, for example, i listen to some stations over the internet during work hours, but there's still the journey to/from work in the car. Many people listen to the radio in the car so i dont think the internet radio could take that over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭More Music

mcscrub wrote: »
    ........I heard that radio licence holders will get an automatic increase to the lenght of their licence if they go DAB (Is this rumour true?).

Almost true. They are trying to get this into the new Broadcasting Bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

So, should I go ahead and purchase a new Midi system without DAB, or will I come to regret its omission in five or six years time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I know terrestrial TV is going over the next few years and changing to digital.

But no FM radio broadcasts after 2012? Surely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Camelot wrote: »
    So, should I go ahead and purchase a new Midi system without DAB, or will I come to regret its omission in five or six years time?

If you MUST buy one now, then make sure its DAB+ (AAC) compatible.
    Another option is get a midi without DAB but with aux line in and then you can buy the latest DAB tuner as a seperate in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

FM is going nowhere quickly, DAB is a future not the future. Heck RTE has ceased rolling out DAB. Dunno when most of the county will have it.

http://www.rte.ie/digitalradio/faq.html

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭thecountessp

As we've seen with iPhones apps streaming internet radio stations recently, is it not likely that by the time DAB or DAB+ are implemented in this country, technology and internet coverage will have increased so much as to make internet radio a serious competitor?

I stream everything I listen to at home already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,950 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seeing as there are still swathes of the country where reliable 56k isn't a possibility and there is no chance of that changing any time soon; I think you'll find the answer is no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭More Music

Radio will continue to be served via a mast from the top of a mountain for many years to come. Way past 2012 and beyond.

Whether it's analog or digital isn't really an issue. We'll all just buy whatever device is needed.

Internet radio isn't taking over anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

From Digital Radio.ie
    RTÉ has indicated to the Department of Communications that it will have a DAB network covering the South East corridor, making DAB accessible to 52% of the population, by the end of 2010.

The national broadcaster has stated that it will not proceed any further with national roll-out until regulatory structures and roll-out plans are in place for Ireland’s commercial broadcasters.

In other words, it's not looking good. Unless something that's accessible to everyone at the same time regardless of their location comes onstream FM is here for a while yet. Lots of people can't get broadband. Not everyone can/wants to hook up their dish to the stereo. Whatever replaces FM will have to be pretty simple and straightforward.

Advertisement