Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet Dating

• 24-03-2009 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have reg on online dating. Was just wondering could people let me know how they found it, good and bad points please. I am 25, very attractive and just cant seem to meet the right person. I am a bit embarrased to be doing online dating but am sick of being on my own. Help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

In a way, internet dating is quite a cool and in-fashion thing to do at the moment. You don't have to feel like a loser at all.

It can be very very effective but I found it useless myself. I did blame the fact that I'm not a very good looking bloke and would be lying if I claimed to be very outgoing or the life-and-soul of the party. My rule of thumb became- if you're not successful in the 'real world', you will find it difficult.

If you do struggle in the normal dating scene, don't pin all your hopes on it...

I wouldn't automatically take people at face value, either, btw. Lots of fakes and liars but you will quickly weed them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Warning stay away from free advert sites like Gumtree, Jesus they are bad scams and the bombard you with Junk. The way i figure is if you have to pay to go on a site your sure to weed out the scammers

By the way I dont use it I am just giving you advice from advice received by friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cowlove

I gave internet dating a go and had great fun with it. I tended to meet guys quickly with it as IMO there is no point emailing for weeks and months and then you meet and there is no chemistry.

I met about 3 guys from it. One guy I met a few times but we realised there was no chemistry there but it was nice to go on a few dates.

The last guy I met (three years ago) I had an instant attraction and connection with and we are now engaged :D

I had met so many losers in pubs and clubs and I found with internet dating you are connecting with likeminded ppl (ppl who are ready to commit and want something more than a one night stand). Of course there are going to be liars, cheaters on there too but IMO it doesnt hurt to have fun with it and see what happens!

Goodluck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Been on few dates via internet dating in the past. Nice girls but never any chemistry from my side although a few of the women defo wanted to see me again...

Alot of single mothers (nothing wrong with that but some lie about it and tell you when they meet which is very very annoying), lots of divorced eastern Europeans mothers who tend to want something (lastest example she got me to give her irish lessons for exams and for legal advice but I wasnt even getting a snog in return so I ditched her as I was being used).

it gets very tiring..you find yourself "cutting and pasting" standard replies to everyone and after awhile its just too tiresome...but its worth a shot and I may go back to it again

ps post a photo if you want to cut out the crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

met some lovely girls on it, all lovely. FInally met a girl and never been happier, together 8 months and all signs are excellent. Its just another way of meeting people, just don't chat forever, once they seem right then just go for it and meet them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

very attractive

Be prepared for about a bajillion emails so.Ive tried it(im a bloke)and got bored after a few weeks.The consensus I got from the vast majority of females I talked to was that it either full of weirdos,guys looking for a shag or just social retards.Of course there are some genuine people on it too(i was one so id imagine there were more decent guys too)so it will just be a matter of trawling through the mails you get and trying to sort the genuine people from the dumbasses.Good luck to you anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I seem to come across a lot of single female teachers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I've been on internet dating sites on and off for a few years. Sometimes I get bored and sign up, maybe meet a few girls, then get bored and cancel my account just as quickly.

I've met quite a few girls recently but to be honest it's very hit and miss. But I guess no more so than randomly talking to someone in a pub. I guess the only advantage the pub/club has is that you see the person straight away and can tell if you fancy them. But once you get past that, if there's no interest in their personality or whatever, both methods even out.

I'd recommend meeting the person as quickly as possible. There's nothing worse than spending ages chatting and thinking you get on and then you meet and it's a train wreck. It's such a complete waste of time.

Also you will probably notice a lot of girls will put something in their profile about meeting and seeing if "the chemistry is right". Don't let this fool you for a second. What it really means is whether they fancy you. But saying "chemistry" is some convulted way of trying not to seem shallow or interested only in how someone appears. It's a bit silly as we all know that you have to at least fancy the other person. I don't know why some people need to dress it up and make it seem like something else.

Having said that, I met a girl on Thursday night and we seemed to get on ok and we are going to meet again. So that's a bit of a first for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think it is worth trying but if you are attractive and have your photo up you will be bombarded. I think the paid sites are probbaly better as there are less people on them. I signed up to POF yesterday and in the last 24 hours have received over 200 messages, have been propositioned twice for a 3some, and over twenty times from married men. It's a bit sickening if you would like to meet somone nice. I would say that about 80% of people are on there looking for a shag BUT have been emailing a 3 or 4 guys already who are attractive AND seem sound. I guess just have your sensible hat on and block anyone who is annoying you or who you think is being inappropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

i had a go at internet dating and have to say it was good fun. the site i was on had a chat room and would organise a lot of nights out (events). both these functions made it just that bit easier to meet people, almost all of whom were lovely in their own way. saying you're very attractive might work for you, depending on who you hope to attract, remember beauty is only skin deep though :rolleyes:

i have made some right down to earth lovely friends from the internet dating sites

• Advertisement

Hi OP

I met my OH on an internet dating site, we are together two years and couldn't be happier. I was a bit nervous when I first joined and thought it was a bit strange. I think it is a good way to meet people with similar outlooks on life.

I defo think that it is worth paying for one, the free ones have way to many weirdos.

My best mate tried it recently after a string of bad flings and has met a really nice guy.

Best of luck with it

I just started on internet dating very recently. I was very skeptical about it myself - I'm a guy.

Never really had much trouble meeting girls but just figured since I'm busy it'd be nice to cut to the chase and just go out on dates straight off.

I found a lot of odd girls on there and some very sound ones.

Went on first date and have to say it was great. Very relaxed, got on very well and the girl was very very pretty. So as it stands I think it's a fine idea but you need your wits about you obviously. If you get a bad feeling off a guy or he's a bit odd in emails then just don't bother with him.

Also I chatted with a girl and when I sent her a photo she confessed that she is going out with a guy I know. So I think there are a lot of people possibly on there using it as a way to get a 'bit on the side' without getting caught.

Advertisement