Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IDF - Reside in the North, can you join?

• 24-03-2009 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Can you join the defence force (namely the rdf) if you reside in the north or do you have to have lived in the south for a certain period of time?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

you should contact your most local unit to see if they are indeed still recruiting to begin with, im not sure if you are an official resident with a UK passport that you can join the Irish Army.

note the IDF is the acronym for the Israeli Defence Forces and some here might take a slight offence at being linked to such.

The Irish Army is known to most irish people simply as the Defence Forces (PDF and RDF).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

I know plenty PDF and RDF from across the border. I even know of PDF who lived in the North.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Taken from 62nd's home page FAQ:

Do you have to be an Irish citizen to join the Army Reserve?

No. You must, however, be a resident of Ireland before you enlist and for a minimum of three years from your date of enlistment (joining). If you are not a citizen of the European Union you must have a work permit which will last for at least three years after enlisting (joining). Joining the Irish Army Reserve will not give you a work permit or residency in Ireland!

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Northern Irish

Morphéus wrote: »
    Taken from 62nd's home page FAQ:

Do you have to be an Irish citizen to join the Army Reserve?

No. You must, however, be a resident of Ireland before you enlist and for a minimum of three years from your date of enlistment (joining). If you are not a citizen of the European Union you must have a work permit which will last for at least three years after enlisting (joining). Joining the Irish Army Reserve will not give you a work permit or residency in Ireland!

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your replies but what im trying to find out is due to me living in Northern Ireland and the RDF being classed as a Local Defence Force would I be accepted if I still live in the north i.e travelling across the border to train and so on? I have been told that you need an address in the south or you can't join even though im an irish citizen with irish passport and pps number. Thanks again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 crashanburn

There should be no problem, if it says Ireland, regardless of having something in front of it, on your home address you will be OK.

Lifford barracks in donegal is about 150 meters form the border and you see plenty of PDF coming across the bridge from the north to report for duty every morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

As said above, It would depend on where in the north you lived. If you where only a few mile from the border then i cant see a problem, But if you are coming from belfast or antrim then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

Thanks for your replies but what im trying to find out is due to me living in Northern Ireland and the RDF being classed as a Local Defence Force would I be accepted if I still live in the north i.e travelling across the border to train and so on? I have been told that you need an address in the south or you can't join even though im an irish citizen with irish passport and pps number. Thanks again...

just to note the IDF is actualy the Israeli Defence Force

TomRooney wrote: »

In hindsight the question should have been different but anyone who reads the post will know straight away that im referring to our own defence force. I will be extra careful with my abbreviations from now on. Thanks for your help with my query though..... :rolleyes: I went to my local barracks and have been told that there is a recruitment ban so I will have to try again in September, hopefully the ban will be lifted by then. Don't think it will be though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

There is a few lads in with us from Derry,going to college in Belfast.If they can make it back from Belfast for the night parades grand.Never a problem about where they live,only they are not allowed to wear the uniform into the north on there way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

wildly off topic perhaps, but the name of the Israeli Defence forces is, wait for it, the 'Israeli Defence Forces'. its shortened to IDF for the sake of convenience. its not my problem that the name of the military establishment of the Republic of Ireland is the 'Irish Defence Forces' and that it happens to share initials with the military establishment of a country you may not like.

when either of the 'IDF's' are being written about it is customary at the first mention to write out the name in full, after that just the initials are used - the only time that would change is if which 'IDF' you were talking about was blindingly obvious from the previous content of the article, in which case you wouldn't bother, or where both the Israeli and Irish DF's were being discussed and the full titles would be used throughout to ensure clarity.

if you don't like that, either change the name of your military establishment, or change the name of your country!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

IDF - Iraqi Defence forces, IDF - Iranian defence forces, IDF - Indian Defence Forces, IDF - Indonsesian Defence Forces, IDF - Italian Defence Forces. You can see how Tom is easily confused. The OP could have been referring to any one of these countries.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

IDF - Iraqi Defence forces, IDF - Iranian defence forces, IDF - Indian Defence Forces, IDF - Indonsesian Defence Forces, IDF - Italian Defence Forces. You can see how Tom is easily confused. The OP could have been referring to any one of these countries.:rolleyes:

Not true.
    In Lebanon, the Izzies were always reported as IDF.
    Indian Defence Force=Bharatiya Sashatra Senain
    Italian Defence force=Forze Armate italiano
    Iranian Defence Force=Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of iran
    Indonesian Defence force=Tentara Nasional Indonesia
    Iraqi Defence force=USMC.

it is quite obvious you havent got the slightest idea of what your talking about.

the Israeli army are internationaly known as the IDF by the UN and the rest of the world.
    Iraqi Defence force= is known simply as the Iraqi Army.

you should think twice in future and get your facts straight before you attempt to correct someone, it only makes one look foolish...:rolleyes:

it is quite obvious you havent got the slightest idea of what your talking about.

the Israeli army are internationaly known as the IDF by the UN and the rest of the world.
    Iraqi Defence force= is known simply as the Iraqi Army.

you should think twice in future and get your facts straight before you attempt to correct someone, it only makes one look foolish...:rolleyes:

I think diverdriver was pointing out the fact that it was obvious the OP was on about the Irish army and everybody knew this yet you still had to correct him.And by listing out all them countries he was making the point that some people might not be as well educated on world armies as yourself resulting in them calling the Irish Defence Forces the IDF.

A common mistake but hopefully it will not be made again,thanks Tom.

I think diverdriver was pointing out the fact that it was obvious the OP was on about the Irish army and everybody knew this yet you still had to correct him.And by listing out all them countries he was making the point that some people might not be as well educated on world armies as yourself resulting in them calling the Irish Defence Forces the IDF.

i knew the guy was refering to the PDF, i was just correcting him as i didnt want him going about his new RDF unit talking about the IDF instead of the PDF, which may have made him the butt of a few jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭greenarrow

With regards citizenship, a person who is living in Northern Ireland can have their citizenship status recognised as being from Ireland if they so wish.
    Its one of the terms of the Godd Friday Agreement.

But they can't be wearing the uniform when they are over the 'border' so to speak.
    Trained with a guy in my recruit class (PDF) who was from Northern Ireland. So its not an issue for enlisting whatsoever.

Defence Forces News

4 January 2008
    Defence Forces launch new online initiative www.dfmagazine.ie through An Cosantóir

The official Magazine of the Irish Defence Forces An Cosantóir are proud to announce it's new online presence www.dfmagazine.ie.
    (taken from official website of the defence forces)

I dunno where i got the idea of refering to our defence forces as The Irish Defence Force :rolleyes:

Defence Forces News

4 January 2008
    Defence Forces launch new online initiative www.dfmagazine.ie through An Cosantóir

The official Magazine of the Irish Defence Forces An Cosantóir are proud to announce it's new online presence www.dfmagazine.ie.
    (taken from official website of the defence forces)

I dunno where i got the idea of refering to our defence forces as The Irish Defence Force :rolleyes:

See,an easy mistake to make;)

As I said before,there are a few lads in with us who are from the north,the only problem that would arise would be if they wore the uni into the north.

Advertisement