Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N97 to revolutionise mobile calls?

• 24-03-2009 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/article5901257.ece
    The world’s largest phone maker is about to throw a hand grenade into the world of mobile communications. The Nokia N97 is a handset pre-configured to make calls for free, by routing them over the internet instead of mobile phone networks. The result will be a dramatic reduction in call charges for most users and even, for some customers, no bills at all.

The networks are wetting themselves. Both O2 and Orange in the UK are refusing to carry the phone. Nokia is shipping the N97 with Skype integrated into it. For most of us, this will mean cheaper calls done over the 3G network, or for some of us, even free, over wifi.

Is this likely to have a big effect in real life? Skype is already available to install for some other phones, but most people either don't know about it or cant be bothered to install/configure it. The N97 will have it off the shelf.

There's even talk of a dedicated Skype button next to the regular call button, so you can choose.

Personally I think it's a great idea, taking the power away from the networks and giving it back to the consumer. I hope this shakes things up.

But will it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

The theory is good - the problem is our 3G and Broadband. I prefer to make my calls without the worry of them dropping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I don't see how, especially given the data usage required for Skype to work. Even if prepay users on O2, for example, have an N97 and use Skype, they have a 50 MB allowance per day to use and incur a significant charge once this has been used. If a postpaid user without a data bundle uses Skype, then they can say goodbye to higher voice calls and hello to higher data charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This is nothing to be getting excited about. They are talking about truphone or anything similar except its already on the phone, saves you having to download it. I think vodafone in the uk barred this on the n95 when it came out on the n95. Phones can do this already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I think you're missing an important point. the N97 will do this straight out of the box. While setting up truphone and other sip clients may be ok with techies like us , it would be hard for the average joe. With the N97 all you will need is a skype username and password and you're all set to go.

Davy wrote: »
    This is nothing to be getting excited about. They are talking about truphone or anything similar except its already on the phone, saves you having to download it. I think vodafone in the uk barred this on the n95 when it came out on the n95. Phones can do this already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Phones can do this already

But does the Average Joe know this?

If they make it as easy to use as making a regular phone call, then it may work. However, if it is cumbersome and unreliable, and if the networks don't block it on their 3G networks, then it may become more widespread.

• Advertisement

Pink Tiara wrote: »
    But does the Average Joe know this?

If they make it as easy to use as making a regular phone call, then it may work. However, if it is cumbersome and unreliable, and if the networks don't block it on their 3G networks, then it may become more widespread.

The n95 has the option, when you enter a number, you can call either using voice, video or internet. Adding an extra button is not much difference imo
    elderlemon wrote: »
    I think you're missing an important point. the N97 will do this straight out of the box. While setting up truphone and other sip clients may be ok with techies like us , it would be hard for the average joe. With the N97 all you will need is a skype username and password and you're all set to go.

Well skype does come with some phones as we know, or one download can get it. I wouldn't call it that technical. I understand that the point is out of the box, as i already said it just saves you downloading the app but how many people even use it even if they know how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

The n95 has the option, when you enter a number, you can call either using voice, video or internet. Adding an extra button is not much difference imo

yes BUT you still have to have registered with a viop provider (same as skype but a bit more detailed) , configured in the sip settings etc. Thats why the skype integration could be big in that its already there. Just plug in your username and away you go.

Well skype does come with some phones as we know, or one download can get it. I wouldn't call it that technical. I understand that the point is out of the box, as i already said it just saves you downloading the app but how many people even use it even if they know how.

Again think of the configuration, or lack of if the service is already pre configured on the handset.

Think back to the days when mobile internet was small. access point settings had to be manually added and as a result internet usage was small (I know there were other factors too but the number of people I saw just giving up on mobile internet when it said "please configure an access point..." was large.).

When handsets (sim cards) started getting pre configured settings the mobile internet usage increased.

The less the user has to do to get going on a service, the more likely they are to use that service.

I agree with all you have said, i just dont see this as 'Revolutionising' mobile calls. People who buy n97 phones generally know what they can do. Anything that reduces prices im all for though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

How will skype on the N97 be better than a skypephone on Three?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

How will skype on the N97 be better than a skypephone on Three?

The N97 has Wi-Fi but other than that, I can't see much of a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

my e61 could do this, no gimmicky skype software just the built in SIP client. cheaper and much better quality than skype

but these days if something requires you to enter a few settings ordinary n00bs won't use it. which is why the likes of vodafone probably never cared about the SIP client [which has been removed in the recent n-series btw]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,251 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

cpu-dude wrote: »
    I prefer to make my calls without the worry of them dropping.

When you make a skype call on a 3 phone, the call is transferred to the network so even if you drop out of a 3G area the call is still connected...i.e the skype call should not drop..

Advertisement