Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maxor 500GB External Hard Drive €69.99 @ Eason

• 24-03-2009 12:19pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Was in Eason, Patrick's Street, Cork today.

Saw a big stack of these Maxor 500Gb hard drives upstairs for a mere €69.99, which is as good as you'll get in a Bricks n Mortar on main street.

Maxor are a quality brand too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

not great hard drives :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

what are easons even doing selling hard drives???

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

what are easons even doing selling hard drives???

Making some money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

How big are these hard drives? Would they be what you'd call "portable", or am I being too optimistic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Assuming the OP means MAXTOR, its not a portable 500Gb for that price.

As an alternative Reads on Nassau Street are selling Dane-Elec drives in both 3.5in and 2.5in 'portable' sizes in various capacities.

3.5in 500Gb €69
    3.5in 1Tb €119

Link to the 1Tb on 7dayshop - http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_5&products_id=104385

2.5in 160 €59.99
    2.5in 250 €69.99 -

Link to the portables for those who want more information - http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_5&products_id=104450

Not bad prices in either shop for B&M. Reads is now owned by Easons IIRC

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

fdevine wrote: »
    Assuming the OP means MAXTOR, its not a portable 500Gb for that price.

Generally any 3.5Gb external HDD is portable. Just not very. All 3.5 in devices need a power supply which can mean a small external brick. I haven't seen any 500Gb 2.5" drives yet.

For proper portable go with a 2.5" device. I.e. dead easy to throw into your bag and powered by the USB port.
    For something that's easily moved but you wouldn't want to be doing it every day then a 3.5" one is fine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For proper portable go with a 2.5" device. I.e. dead easy to throw into your bag and powered by the USB port.
    throw :eek:
    handle gently, treat like eggs, padding is a good idea too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I've a maxtor 500GB that I bought about 12 months ago, I suspect this is a much more recent model.

Had no probs with it although it doesn't have an on/off switch which is surprisingly annoying as I dont like to leave it running when I amn't using it.

Its not particularly big but I certainly wouldn't call it portable. About the size of a hardback book but very heavy and with an external power source.

its a lot of storage for E70.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

throw :eek:
    handle gently, treat like eggs, padding is a good idea too

:rolleyes:

What did you think I meant by throw? I assumed people would have the brains to know I didn't mean open the bag, stand a few feet back and throw the hard drive in. I'll make it more simple in future.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

It's not portable(in the sense that it comes without a power supply and whatnot) but they had genuine portable 350MB models for the same price.

In Cork go straight up the escalator and you'll see them in front of you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

:rolleyes:

What did you think I meant by throw? I assumed people would have the brains to know I didn't mean open the bag, stand a few feet back and throw the hard drive in. I'll make it more simple in future.
    I'm suprised by how long 2.5" external drives last with the way people treat them, people don't treat them as sensitive devices with moving parts

almost every old 2.5" drive I've looked at had platters made of extrememly thing glass

Advertisement