Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need slight signal boost

Options
  • 24-03-2009 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all, Im with eircom using their netopia router in my house the signal is 100% all the time but I mainly use or wish to mainly use the internet in a room out my back garden the signal changes between 80% and 60% sometimes less could anyone offer any suggestions? the modem is as close to the room out the back garden as I can get it. :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

60 to 80% signal is perfectly accecptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

The Netopia router will physically support an alternate high-gain antenna - you can find plenty of them on ebay. Officially Netopia do not support them, but they are cheap and worth a try - Just make sure you get one with the right connector. I use one and find its a help. Failing that you could try a wireless repeater, or if you have mains power, you could try a Homeplug which uses the mains network to transmit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

or use a telephone extension cable to move your modem closer to where you want to use it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gorbachoph

Thanks for the replies, I think the Homeplug idea is the best way to go, ill give it a shot and let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

homeplug also do a 54mbps wifi extender as well as the wired ones, so you could have one wired homeplug next to your modem and one wireless homeplug near where you want to get access to extend the range of your wireless network that way.

there's heaps of them all over ebay if you want a gander.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gorbachoph

Excellent, I went out to maplins and bought a homeplug, it worked perfectly, now I have good connection all the time, thanks for your help all

Advertisement