Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

economic suicide

• 24-03-2009 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

on most off the papers headlines its about the stricks and some say that its "economic suicide"

im just wondering how is??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

If you want someone to answer your question, try writing in English. What you've written makes zero sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Don't be so mean.

blahblahblah, could you re-phrase your question please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

on most off the papers headlines its about the stricks and some say that its "economic suicide"

im just wondering how is??

You mean:

Many of the papers are saying that the upcoming strikes are tantamount to
    "economic suicide" in terms of the damage that they will do to the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Shiny wrote: »
    You mean:

Many of the papers are saying that the upcoming strikes are tantamount to
    "economic suicide" in terms of the damage that they will do to the country?

I see you are well versed in the language of blahblahblah...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Because it shows that some clowns feel they have an entitlment, regardless of the state of the nation. If this opinion really exists and exists in a large portion of our society, we're fucked.

• Advertisement

I just don't get why they are striking before the mini(aka large) budget.....

They could at least wait and see what they announce?

You can come to your own conclusion who "They" are.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

That is the really worrying bit. It is unlikely to be a pretty picture once the really bad news arrives next month. Now, imagine if tax intake continues to slide and another interim/mini/mega budget is need before year end?

They could at least wait and see what they announce?

You can come to your own conclusion who "They" are.:rolleyes:
    ...because they decided that they were entitled to a 4% pay rise (and don't wish to make extra contributions to their pension) well before another budget was on the cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭blahblahblah.

Don't be so mean.

blahblahblah, could you re-phrase your question please?

thanks well i guess some one de-coded it so....

sry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

thanks well i guess some one de-coded it so....

Cool. They're saying it's "economic suicide" because the government have a huge deficit that has to be fixed. It just has to be. If everyone goes on strike, nobody's working so there's even less money and the deficit gets even worse.

• Advertisement

ah thanks that makes sence:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

They are right to strike it goes far beyond the % they are entitled to it boils down to an erosion of conditions as well. Something that was NEVER proposed when the goverment asked us all to take a pay cut.

Keep this in mind, All these people will loose a days pay for this strike, The union called it as the workers proposed it.

I know the reasons they are striking but I am not going to debate the economics of it cause a strike does not make economical sense

So i think honestly to raise the subject in Economics was wrong.

It should have been raised in Politics or something like it. Guaranteed you would get a better response

well i just wanted to know how are the stricks an economic suacide as in bad for the economie not about the politics behind is caus thats just crap thats been said said non stop and is getting old

well i just wanted to know how are the stricks an economic suacide as in bad for the economie not about the politics behind is caus thats just crap thats been said said non stop and is getting old
    1. Spell checker.
    2. Punctuation.
    3. The politics are part and parcel of the problem.

They are right to strike it goes far beyond the % they are entitled to...
    ...you see - thats a massive part of the problem right there. No-one is "entitled" to a pay rise, least of all those who get one every year for no good reason.
    Getting an automatic pay rise each year is part of the reason we are where we are.
    it boils down to an erosion of conditions as well. Something that was NEVER proposed when the goverment asked us all to take a pay cut.
    I'm not sure what sector you work in, but afaik only private sector have taken pay cuts.
    Keep this in mind, All these people will loose a days pay for this strike.
    Well they won't be working will they; why would they get paid?

Keep this in mind: in each CS/PS office there are private sector people contracting. These people have no job security. These people will not be able to work that day either. These people will not get paid that day either. These people have lost all their pensions over the previous year. These people have already taken 15-20% pay cuts. These people need to work to support their families.

Will the unions strike when they are all let go?

No they won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 maxy jazz

well why would they strike :confused:, seriously. Contracting carries that risk. Anyone on a contract in the public sector has had it cushy. Everyone knows performance indicators (KPI) in the public sector are rubbish. So it would be logical to assume any contract staff are reaping in the slow productivity!

Its called off now.

Linkage

I mean, its called off for now.:rolleyes:

maxy jazz wrote: »
    well why would they strike :confused:, seriously. Contracting carries that risk. Anyone on a contract in the public sector has had it cushy. Everyone knows performance indicators (KPI) in the public sector are rubbish. So it would be logical to assume any contract staff are reaping in the slow productivity!

Certainly some have, and loosing some of them would be no loss.

However the bulk of them have been carrying the work load. Their loss will set back the CS & PS terminally. The running of the country depends on these people - not the staff that take sick leave at crunch time; the staff that take a full day off to attend an hour meeting; the staff that stop working to study for promotion exams...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Contract staff are not part of any unions so they can cross pickets if they so choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 maxy jazz

anyone who is contracting to a goverment department has a cushy number. no wonder HSE is so badly run, contractors in the middle of everything. creating plans and more plans and delivering next to nothing.

here is a classic example of contractors and their plans:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1216/1229035766806.html
    what a monumental failure and a fantastic waste of money. dump the contractors, cut the pork out of the public spending. no more job for life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

This is a terrible thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

This is a terrible thread.

Terrible enough that you read the whole thing and posted in it? Get a life, if you have nothing to contribute why even bother?

Sad person.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement