Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSD with bad tummy

Options
  • 24-03-2009 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi ,
    My German Shep pup (8-9mths) has had loose stools since we got her as a rescue six months ago. I dont think ive ever seen a proper stool actually.
    She regularly doesnt make it through the nite either without going on the floor. She has a good week then a bad week. I would have though by now she would have control over her bowels.

The only recommended food I have used so far is Husse, which did her coat a lot of good, but didnt change her habits much.

I have heard of EPI in Sheps which I will get her tested for, but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas to 'firm' her up first.

Lovely subject I know, sorry :P

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

food change i suppose, we've switched our Newf to Orijen and found his poop firming up after a few days, it had been very unpleasant on Royal Canin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Is her worming up to date?

Are you feeding her ONLY her dried food - and nothing else like rawhide bones, treats etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leadinglady

Worming is up to date. She has been given veg left over and chicken occassionally but not treats as such. I wondered about that too. Maybe to stop any other feeding at all bar dry food.

Have been trying her on probiotics for 3 days and she has made it through the nite the last 2 nites. This could be a fluke, I have to wait and see...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd say put her on an exclusion diet with only her dry food. See what happens!
    BTW the vet told me that rawhide treats & other things like Markies are sprayed in fat which can lead to loose stools.

Advertisement