Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts for Pet Food ?

Options
  • 24-03-2009 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Was wondering if there are / we can create a thread with current pet food specials.

As I have 2 indoor cats, and it is costing me quite a lot to keep there tummy's full.

So would be nice if we could all share our finding here

ie, buy 1 get one free on cat/dog food.

If it is not allowed than please delete.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just wondering do indoor cats eat more than outdoor cats or than cats which come and go between inside and out? Is food for indoor cats more expensive.
    Also how much can 2 cats eat? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

TheCaveman wrote: »
    Was wondering if there are / we can create a thread with current pet food specials.

As I have 2 indoor cats, and it is costing me quite a lot to keep there tummy's full.

So would be nice if we could all share our finding here

ie, buy 1 get one free on cat/dog food.

If it is not allowed than please delete.

Good idea, I'm looking at hopefully getting 2 dogs in the next while so I'd be interested in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

Great idea for a thread! Maxi Zoo are selling 2kg bags of Royal Canin Feline for half price at the moment.They're €10 (reduced from €20) and are supposed to last about 30 days. It's great value as the same bag costs €20 plus P&P on Zooplus.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

If anybody buys Wafcol food you can get a card off them (request it from their website) that gets you every 5th bag free, simply keep the barcodes and attach to the card they send you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭flynnc

iams cat food 3kg is only €10.00 on offer from pet shops i would say they all have this offer my local one has been running it all month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Kitty_mom

We have 2 indoor cats as well. We always buy from newry. They have huge jolley's petstore there. We always go once in 3 months and buy there. They always have 3 for 2 offer on science hills & royal canine. The also have 10 kg bags of whiskas which is about 16 pounds (i think). So its way cheaper if you buy it in bulk from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Rabbits
    Pellets
    Rabbit food/pellets can be quite expensive, so what I do now is buy a 20kg bag of rabbit food for 20 euro, my 3 rabbits go through about 2kg of rabbit food per week, so this does me for about 10 weeks. The 2kg bags cost me 6.50 a week, so in ten weeks it costs me 65 euro. So I safe 40 euro in total. I bought some rubbermaid containers and put the sack of food in them to keep it fresh.

Fruit And Vegetables
    Fruit and veg are an important part of a rabbit's diet but can also be very expensive, if you know someone in a fruit and veg shop or know a friendly furit and veg shop you could ask them to keep the food that has been deemed unsellable, from some bruising or being a bit withered or stuff that has been dropped on the ground. Ask them to sell it to you cheaply or give it to you.

Hay
    Don't bother with the bags of hay you get in the petshop, if you have a car and a farm supply near you head over there and get a huge square bale of hay for about 7 or 8 euro, the same you would pay for a small bag in the petshop. Keep it in a dry place like a shed, if you don't have a shed you can keep it in you could break up the bale and store it in rubbermaid containers or black bags.
    Just some ways I've cut down on the rabbit bill! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 niceguyjoe

well if anyone got lizards i got couple of hundred roaches always there . i breed my own dubia and lobster types

great for bearded dragons and gekos

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Whiskas cat and kitten pouches 12 pack are half price in Dunnes Stores at the moment. €2.44 per box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Great thread, can the MODS please sticky this one.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Do your shopping in Northern Ireland, petfood is half price there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Bond-007 wrote: »

+1 very much so

£32 for 9kg of Royal Canine Sensible
    or 3 for 2 on the 4kg (~£13 each anyway)

But how much do you pay in petrol to go up there, only good for people near enough to the border.

Whiskas cat and kitten pouches 12 pack are half price in Dunnes Stores at the moment. €2.44 per box.

Thanks PurplePrincess, just went to my local Dunnes and got 6 boxes of them, might get more tomorrow, great bargain.

PCros wrote: »
    But how much do you pay in petrol to go up there, only good for people near enough to the boarder.
    Nope. I live a long way from the border and I buy all my pet food there. Even allowing for fuel costs the savings are massive.

Nope. I live a long way from the border and I buy all my pet food there. Even allowing for fuel costs the savings are massive.

Fair enough, I havnt seen much difference.

Have you tried the Fairyhouse market in Meath, alot of the pet stalls come down from the North therefore saving you some fuel costs.

Are ya'll going to sticky this thread?

Are ya'll going to sticky this thread?
    I need to consult the other mods first. There are too many stickys as it is.

I need to consult the other mods first. There are too many stickys as it is.

Cool, there are a few existing stickys that have hardly any views (apart from the rules) so maybe they should be deleted, just a taught.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭saviourgirl

Great idea for a sticky, save some yoyos aswell!

Advertisement