Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help me find some corn bread!! TODAY!!

• 24-03-2009 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Ingredients

• 2 (8 1/2 ounce) boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix
    • 1 (18 ounce) box butter recipe cake mix
    • 5 eggs
    • 2/3 cup milk
    • 1 1/3 cups water
    • 1/2 cup butter (softened)
    Its for Boston Market style cornbread by the way!!

I think I'll be fine locating the milk water butter and eggs, but can anyone help me with the top two. Its an american recipe, so Im looking for maybe any alternatives you can think of!!

thanks!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Could you not just use an alternative recipe?

Eh... Butter recipe cake mix could be a Victoria Sponge mix, I guess? As for corn muffin mix, I've never seen anything like that over here. Here's a recipe for corn muffin mix, although it's not the boxed stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

So many US recipes have pre made ingredients in them!

Cookie dough, pancake mix, hot sauce, sweet sauce...etc etc.

Why not just buy the product ready made?
    It's not going to be home made anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I've no problem buying it readymade, in fact that would suit me down to the ground!! I just don't know where to buy corn bread. Does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

I used this recipe

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/14/Albers-Corn-Bread

Corn meal = corn flour. It turned out pretty much how I remember Boston Market corn bread.

cheers!!!!

Where do I get corn flour? In any supermarket?

• Advertisement

Yep its usually just used for thickening sauces as far as I know and most supermarkets will have it.

thank you!! my boyfriend will love you for this!! We are 7 months home from the USA and I still haven't heard the end of the Boston Market rant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 hedgehog33

I think corn flour and corn meal are completely different? I thought corn meal was more similar to polenta. I think a health food shop might be the place to look for corn meal. Must have a look myself, love corn bread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

In the US, the terms cornmeal and cornflour are interchangeable, but cornflour over here is different to cornflour in the US. Ours is actually cornstarch, a thickening agent. Cornflour/cornmeal in the US is more similar to polenta, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

This is what you're looking for (don't use the fine stuff, it won't give the correct texture.) Most asian shops in Dublin carry that brand. And polenta isn't a type of ground corn, but a dish made from it. Here is a very nice recipe for cornbread, incorporating honey, bacon and corn kernels.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    In the US, the terms cornmeal and cornflour are interchangeable, but cornflour over here is different to cornflour in the US. Ours is actually cornstarch, a thickening agent. Cornflour/cornmeal in the US is more similar to polenta, yes.

Faith and Hedgehog, you are right, corn meal and corn flour are completely different. I know this because upon making the bread tonight it tasted disgusting!!

I've got to keep trying to make this though, the OH loves it, and it would really remind me of the states again if I ate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 hedgehog33

Sorry to hear that Peanut, I hope the OH appreciated the effort at least :). I'd say Magic Monkey is on the right track, hopefully one of the Asian shops will have the cornmeal in stock. Good luck with the hunt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

Don't know if you're in dublin. And it could be disgusting for all I know. But Donnybrook Fair has those Aunt Jemimah ready to make just add water type of mixes. And they have Corn Bread. Might be worth a shot.

ok after re-reading this thread I remember you are right - I got totally mixed up. I found something in a health food shop that worked.

I did make pancakes one time with cornflour though - and they turned out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

dont superquinn sell cornbread?

Advertisement