Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The castle in claregalway

Options
  • 24-03-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

What is the story with this place? I'm surprised whoever is doing it up has any money left. Is it going to be private or a hotel or what?

Is there any word on when it'll actually be finished.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I can't answer your questions but isn't it looking great?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Tis lookin' mighty.

It's odd to see a new looking castle though.

There's at least one other building in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah spotted that too, would make a great guesthouse...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It does look good. I could be wrong, but i think it's a doctor / consultant who works in the Galway Clinic that's doing it up. Obviously a labour of love, but well done to him.:cool:

Is he doing it himself, or just doing bits and pieces as he can afford it?

I hope he gets it finished, it'll look really good. Even though that type of castle is everywhere in Ireland most are just ruins.

• Advertisement

It is some sort of doctor as far as I know.

The original plan was to have it as a restaurant or something similar but they couldn't get planning permission as the entrance is so close to the bend.

I don't know if the doctor and restaurant people are the same.

It is open to the public every now and then - keep an eye on the posters at the gate.

The bell tower type of thing on the roof is going to have to be taken down as it wasn't in the plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's it but it has advanced a lot since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Been some serious flooding the other side of the river the past few years, don't know how protected the side the castle is on though.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Been some serious flooding the other side of the river the past few years, don't know how protected the side the castle is on though.
    well it's still standing after a few hundred years so I'd assume the English knew what they where doing.

• Advertisement

Where the flooding happens is the old course of the river.

I have never seen the castle / abbey side flood I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Fosse Fox

I must say that I'm gutted about this restoration. I spent my best years at the top of that castle, either smokin, swiggin cider or lookin at a certain young ladies private parts. I was not however guilty of the egg throwing session at the council lads in 1979;)

Advertisement