Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland -v- Bulgaria (WCQ) Group 8- 28/3/09 MATCH THREAD

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Some pics from tonights are here

3393119497_328e5d3dcd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

If you'd have asked me earlier today what I felt the result would be I would have said a draw, and to be honest I'm happy with it. I feel we we're lucky to not do worse. Ireland were lucky in their last game against Georgia and unfortunately the luck ran out tonight but we didn't exactly do ourselves any favours.

It's not exactly a regular occurance to find yourself 1-0 without even having played 40 seconds of football let alone 40 minutes, that was lucky to get ahead without having in alot of effort or pressure. Ireland should have worked from then on to either ramp up the pressure for a second or held onto the ball.

Instead I think we went on the defensive and allowed the Bulgarian's, who were no great shakes, back into the match. They had too much of the ball and when we did get it we failed to do anything. I didn't find anything impressive or worthwhile about Whelan's contribution in this match and I think it's time his position was reconsidered.

Hunt, who I previously thought was, if not anything a hard-worker wasn't great. Sure he was seemingly involved alot, but when he had the ball he failed to deliver, he's the kind of player who I feel is good to bring on in a late stage of the game but not somebody I'd be keen to see starting. Kilbane also looked a little shakey, especially in the first half when he didn't cover the wide player and failed to catch a cross with his head. It was unfortunate he was the man responsible for the OG but with Bulgaria having the ball, it was in their favour, when you have the ball you dictate the gameplay. If they hadn't of scored then, it would have happened eventually.

And does anyone know why Trap made 1 single sub? AFAIK it was 1 sub in something like the 89th minute. WTF? I was saying from 75+ it was time for a sub to be brought on!

Overall, disappointing, with flashes of hope here and there, we could have won. Maybe should have won. That would have finished the Bulgarian threat for 2nd place, and I think realistically that's what Ireland is hoping for in this group. /rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I think if we eventually lose out on 2nd place we will look back at last nights result and think it cost us 2 points. We should have won that match, they were there for the taking.
    I have never come across a poorer midfield setup either, we should prey S Reid comes back soon and beg S Ireland to comes back because what we've got isnt good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Pretty dissapointed with last nights result. They got a bit lucky but we probably should have won the game regardless.

We badly need better midfield players. I don't mean Andy Reid but rather S.Reid and S.Ireland. Without them, it'll be pretty pointless qualifying for a world cup. (anyone know how long S.Reid is out for?)

As regards the people unhappy with Trapp's negativity - idiots!!! He's a manager even the Italians said was too defensive. It was always going to be this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

First off, I'm very disappointed at both Doyle and McGeady. They both had very good chances to win the game, and didn't take them. You need to take chances like that in Traps system.

I thought Doyle and Keane were excellent though, as they were feeding off scraps all night.

It's clear to me that the problem with Trap's system is in midfield. There is noone there who can put their foot on it and pass it. We desperately, desperately, need S. Reid and Ireland back, even if Ireland is played off Keane up front. There's nobody bar Keane who genuinely wants the ball at his feet and is willing to wait on it. O'Shea is by far the worst passer in terms of defence for United, but against Bulgaria he looked like bloody Rio Ferdinand [in terms of passing].

I understand defensive football, I accept thats the way Trap is going. But you also need to be able to play when you have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Mr Alan wrote: »
    taking into account one of them is a proven liar, its a easy decision.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0316/1224242906955.html
    16 March 2009

In an interview published by a British daily newspaper over the weekend, Ireland yet again managed to send out rather mixed messages regarding his international future with the Corkman also appearing to hint at one point he would welcome another approach from members of the Irish management team.

His suggestion, however, that he had seen reports of such an approach having already been made and that the story was untrue, prompted the FAI into a clarification of the situation with a spokesman stating: “Contrary to reports in the article about press claims, neither Giovanni Trapattoni, nor any other member of the senior management team, have made any comment about recontacting Stephen Ireland since their meeting other than to say if he wants to play for his country, it is up to him to declare himself available.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Group is wide open now. If we loose to Italy that leaves Bulgaria 7 behind with 2 games in hand and us yet to go to Sofia. Would really like to see Carsley back but I can't see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Last night we saw Duff, who was injured and back in Newcastle for treatment, fly over to watch the game. Did Stephen Ireland even watch it on TV?

In his interviews, he says he probably wants to come back someday but he can't really come out and say he never wants to play for Ireland again, or could he - who knows?

I do think it's unfair that the panel were trying to blame his exile on Trapp's regime.

When he was a kid, Stephen Ireland decided he was never going to play for Brian Kerr again and kept to that. Some people said this was down to Kerr. He came in for a few games under Staunton but clearly didn't like being there and worked his way out of the squad. Some people said it was because other players bullied him. Now he's not involved in the current setup though he's been told he'd be welcomed back if he wants to play. Last night, Eamo was blaming Trapp and Brady for not getting him back.

Now I don't really listen to Dunphy. He's basically become a caricature of himself and now must complain no matter what but this is a bit too much even for him. It's clear that Stephen Ireland doesn't play for Ireland because Stephen Ireland doesn't want to play for Ireland - sadly there's not much we can do about that.

This matter of who left the door open and who phoned who and what needs to be done is a load of nonsense that will be rehashed to death by the media because he's the best eligible player we have and it's easy column inches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

cooker3 wrote: »
    It was so depressing. We badly need a better midfield. Italy will tear us apart judging by what we did tonight.

But we don't have it. we simply don't have the midfielders who can take the game by the scruff of the neck, that's why Trapp employ's this system. Yes we stand off them, but it makes us a lot harder to break down and they struggled to find space in behind us apart from the goal which was unfortunate. Even though bulgaria did have their fair share of chances none of them were as clear cut as the three we had, in many respects they were lucky to get the point, although i know many would disagree with this.

Tbh, if we had better finishers we would have won last night 3-1, and almost every other game would have been won comfortably with the chances we've created. I was at the game last night, and tbh it was Keane who disappointed me most. He's great on the ball, but his decision making off it is woeful at times, he just can't time his runs properly. The system itself is working, it's the individuals who are letting us down.
    PHB wrote: »
    First off, I'm very disappointed at both Doyle and McGeady. They both had very good chances to win the game, and didn't take them. You need to take chances like that in Traps system.

I thought Doyle and Keane were excellent though, as they were feeding off scraps all night.

eh? I know what you're saying but it just reads odd :P
    gosplan wrote: »
    Last night we saw Duff, who was injured and back in Newcastle for treatment, fly over to watch the game. Did Stephen Ireland even watch it on TV?

**** the Stephen Ireland thing at this stage. It's obvious he just doesn't want to play. Trapps doing the right thing, just working with what he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Bulgaria definitely werent lucky to get the point.

They thoroughly deserved it. They were perhaps even worth a win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Note: please read

Lads, this match thread is veering off into a couple of different topics. I've contributed to that myself, but I'd appreciate it if from now on we restricted the discussion to the events of last night. If anyone wants to talk about Stephen Ireland, or Andy Reid's absence, or the squad in general then there's a general discussion thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055484764

If you want to discuss our chances for the game in Bari it might be a good time to start a match thread.

I'll be moving or deleting off-topic posts from this point on.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

but at the same time they didn't really create as many clear cut chances as we did and got their goal from some awful defending by Kilbane.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

the result is not so bad at least were still unbeaten, what ireland need are some better subs someone who can come off the bench and steal a late goal whats wrong with clinton morrison, daryl murphy, lee carsley or hell even rory delap:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Even the best sub in the world couldnt do anything in 5mins

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

does,nt hurt to have them though, ireland had two or three chances in the last few minutes

but at the same time they didn't really create as many clear cut chances as we did and got their goal from some awful defending by Kilbane.

Id argue they created just as many as we did.

The pull back that was sidefooted into givens hands was the best chance of the game.

There was another pull back that was put over the bar, that again was a very good chance.

That only off the top of my head too.

The Bulgarians were a much better team than we were. I think we were lucky that it was a draw.

Also, if they didnt score the way they did I am in no doubt and in all probability they would have scored anyway. It was always coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The only deserved because we let them look good. As soon as the goal went in it seemed all 11 players decided that for the next 89+ minutes they were going to play for a draw. As soon as bulgaria equalised we created 2 or 3 good chances to score in 15 minutes, why the **** didnt we do that for the previous 60 odd? Mcgeady earlier chance was the only other opition. Until the players grow some balls/confidence and try and close a game out we'll always struggle.

Headshot wrote: »

I give you 98/99 Champions league final?

The only deserved because we let them look good. As soon as the goal went in it seemed all 11 players decided that for the next 89+ minutes they were going to play for a draw. As soon as bulgaria equalised we created 2 or 3 good chances to score in 15 minutes, why the **** didnt we do that for the previous 60 odd? Mcgeady earlier chance was the only other opition. Until the players grow some balls/confidence and try and close a game out we'll always struggle.

We dont have the players to make them look bad. I cant recall Whelan touching the ball in the game, the first I saw of him was a shot of his face on about 70mins... that says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Headshot wrote: »

Yeah you need at least six minutes!

_42593071_ohnaldridge203.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I don't see any reason why Delap isn't in the squad. Bulgaria were shaky in the air all night, and their keeper did not look like he would have been too confident facing some missiles from Delap. I'm not saying he should definitely start or anything, but he brings something different, which none of our other subs do.

I also have no idea why Trap didn't take of Hunt after 70 minutes, he was clearly dead on his feet. At one point Doyle broke down the left, held it up for a good 15 seconds, and yet Hunt was still nowhere to be seen. He could have even have brought on Gibson, play him on the right, and switch McGeady to the left.

Gibson would definitely drift in and add another body to the midfield, which is where ultimately we were overran, and where Petrov was allowed far too often to take up a position in between our midfield and our defence, untracked by Whelan or Andrews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

An absolutely shameful performance. Devoid of grace, guile or gumption. Dreadful hoofball, dreadful atmosphere from the olés, even when we were one up.

Petrov ruled the midfield, and Bulgaria were unlucky not to come away with three points. Imagine if they'd had Berbatov to capitalise on their dominance?

If we play like that against an Italy team in form, we'll be eaten alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Some people here have mentioned that Trap's tactics can't be blamed but I'd beg to differ. When the game actually went back to one all, and Ireland attacked, the Bulgarians looked pretty weak at the back.

Ireland should have gone on and tried to get a two-nil lead rather than sitting back and trying to defend the one nill lead. If you ask me, we scored too early and that was the problem. From them on, the emphasis was on Bulgaria to score and Ireland seemed happy to sit back and try to soak it up.

Andrews and Whelan were both poor and something has to be done. Carsley is the only realistic option at the moment so I hope to god something is done about getting him into the setup. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Reid and Ireland. They're not an option for differing reasons so let's forget about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Disappointing match, gave the ball away to easily, poor quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I agree with Sugarman. Foley and Ward at Wolves should be in that side, young and energetic. I think everything has pretty much been said already.

Robbie Keane gets far too much respect from the crowd at games, he contributed absolutely nothing.

Only positives really for me were the CB's and Kevin Doyle. McGeady tried his heart out but things just didn't work for him. I was sitting in the Lower Hogan and there was some lard behind me giving him abuse the whole game. Came very close to a row with him =/

In a nutshell. Poor team, poor manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Gutted at last nights result, just same ol story, cant beat a decent team in a qualifier....not since Holland in 01 and that was lucky! Just nothing in midfield, Bulgaria wouldve been robbed blind if they didnt get something outta that game.
    Funnily enough I dont go along with the "Oh Italy are gonna hammer us now cos of our midfield" idea....More likely they'll get an early goal against us and then sit back and wait for us to throw something back at them, which probably wont be much....and run out 1 or 2-0 winners.

I was in the singing section for the match last night and the atmosphere there was brilliant I have to say, but it quickly turned into a Robbie Keane insult shouting session once the equaliser went in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Not much comment on Mcshane putting in a performance last night an amateur would be ashamed of.
    The lad is afraid of the ball, doesn't know what to do with it when he unfortunately gets it and doesn't know where to position himself on the field.

I know he's not a right back really but how this guy plays in the premiership I don't know. He can't pass it 5 yards, along with everything else he can't do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

He just passes it back to Given, no matter where on the pitch he is

• Advertisement
Advertisement