Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland -v- Bulgaria (WCQ) Group 8- 28/3/09 MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Like who? Is there anyone realistically available who could have an influence on either game?

I'd say the country's best passer of a football personally.

Thats it, Andy Reid slept with Trap's missus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Seamus Coleman of everton and u21 for RightBack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

noodler wrote: »
    I'd say the country's best passer of a football personally.

Thats it, Andy Reid slept with Trap's missus

Haha....but in all fairness the chap was knocking back pints and playing guitar till all hours after the Georgia match in Germany and wouldnt go to bed when Trap told him.

Trap is just teaching him a lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

PCros wrote: »
    Haha....but in all fairness the chap was knocking back pints and playing guitar till all hours after the Georgia match in Germany and wouldnt go to bed when Trap told him.
    Is that true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Is that true?
    Yeah it's true, he plays guitar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Is that true?

yep

he was also on a TG4 show where he learned the banjo to play with one of his favourite trad/rebel irish groups

Ha, wasn't quite what I was asking. I was referring to the staying up all night drinking bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Not a bad singer is Andy.

Maybe he could join Christian Dailly's rock band.

We can't be sure to what extent it is true.

I mean I doubt he said no to Trap, all hours could have meant 20 minute after curfew etc etc.

Papers have been mentioning it for a while now.

Massive game COMMMEEEEE ONNNN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

No chance of Fahey coming in for Duff then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

CiaranC wrote: »
    No chance of Fahey coming in for Duff then?

No. Stokes is in for him.

Is that true?

Its very true. I couldn't stop laughing when I read what Trap said....

"If he was my son, I would go boom!" he continued while pretending to kick somebody up the backside. "But he is not my son."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2008/1124/1227293466680.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

redout wrote: »
    Looky here...........

Something to play with for 5mins

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/3497095.stm

Wow! You guys have no midfield....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

GuanYin wrote: »
    Wow! You guys have no midfield....

penny & dropped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Its very true. I couldn't stop laughing when I read what Trap said....

"If he was my son, I would go boom!" he continued while pretending to kick somebody up the backside. "But he is not my son."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2008/1124/1227293466680.html
    Reid, he says, was one of 10 players to break the curfew and stay in the bar of the team hotel until well beyond midnight.

I wonder who the other 9 were and what their punishment was.

Dunno, I'd say it was the younger lads and Andy was leading the session with the ole geetar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Gwan Ireland. Give them lots of it.

Well I suppose if you're the one sitting in the middle holding the guitar and singing with every around and you don't really fit into the managers plans you're not really helping your cause.

Doesn't make it right I know but still..

Whats Stokes been doing for the last few months by the way?

I could make a great argument for Andy Reid and his team bonding exercises with the younger team members by the way!

Whats Stokes been doing for the last few months by the way?

I could make a great argument for Andy Reid and his team bonding exercises with the younger team members by the way!

Yeah true, without the pints and maybe going to bed when the boss tells ya to.

• Advertisement

Yeah true, without the pints and maybe going to bed when the boss tells ya to.

Worse than lieing to get out of an international?

Who knows but we are still chasing Stephen Ireland.

Worse than lieing to get out of an international?

Who knows but we are still chasing Stephen Ireland.

Stephen who? Couldn't give a shyte about him.

What annoys me is that if we get to the finals hes going to change his mind all of a sudden and declare himself and Trap will say ok.
    After doing no work to get us there and and will take the place of one of the younger players who has probably been at all the qualifiers, most likely on the bench too.:mad:

Stephen who? Couldn't give a shyte about him.

What annoys me is that if we get to the finals hes going to change his mind all of a sudden and declare himself and Trap will say ok.
    After doing no work to get us there and and will take the place of one of the younger players who has probably been at all the qualifiers, most likely on the bench.:mad:

Can't see it.

I hope it doesnt happen but if it does I'll be well pist. Rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Trap won't let him play if we qualify. I couldn't see him doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Normally right, normally, i would be so so so against Stepehen Ireland coming back if we qualify.

However, PCros, these mysitcal young players you speak of, who are they? If he bumped Glen Whelan out i would be over the moon. Fact is, we are damn stuck for a) Central players and b) Creative players. And that gifted cocky arrogant genius bollox ticks the boxes.

He would add a dimention to our team. Which would give us 2 dimensions. He is a right little **** though.

Im on the fence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ireland say's he hasn't been contacted yet, although we're lead to believe that Trap/Brady have contacted him.

Similar confusion with Carsley earlier (they said he was injured/he said he was available)

Someone is telling fibs, but as we haven't lost yet - no-one is getting too upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I reckon Stephen is lying. Why wouldn't Trap/Brady not contact him? He's a player we desperately need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

creggy wrote: »
    I reckon Stephen is lying. Why wouldn't Trap/Brady not contact him? He's a player we desperately need.
    upset the dressing room and I don't see why Carsley would lie very probable that they are both waiting for Ireland to contact them so he knows who the boss is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Great win for the U21s tonight, 2-1 against Spain. Even if it was still the Spanish U21 'B' side.

I'm going to go for 1-1 tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

wheres the best place/pub to go before the game?

wheres the best place/pub to go before the game?

I am going in with the ol fella and having a few in Sean O Casey's on Malborough street first. Rough enough pub though but the Guinness is top notch!

I'll probably end up in Quinns or somewhere near there.

My prediction: 1-0 to Ireland.

Enjoy!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

First home game I'll not be at for a good many years :(

Supposed to be in Germany but I had to cancel at the last minute and now I've no ticket and couldn't be arsed going to get one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Even with McShane at right back, the one part of the team I'm worried about is Whelan. He was terrible against Georgia. It's unfortunate that Steven Reid is missing but, with the run of injuries he's had, its hard to envisage him back in an Ireland jersey anytime soon.

Carsley is the only real option for Ireland I can think of that is willing to play. Trap obviously has his problems with Reid and Ireland won't be back so I wish everyone would stop talking about him and let him P*** off and watch the matches on TV like he wants.

I may be a tad biased as a Blackburn supporter but I thought Andrews was decent against Georgia. He doesn't set the world alight but he's functional and he can steal a goal, he's also good at breaking up play. Whelan is meant to be doing that but I saw none of it against Georgia.

I don't know much about Bulgaria but, from what I've heard, Berbatov pretty much sums up the team - lazy, sulky but can unleash moments of brilliance. They haven't performed well in this qualifying campaign but, to be honest, I don't think Ireland have either. I'm just hoping the luck doesn't run out tonight. If we go one-nil down again there'll be big problems. I'd settle for a draw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

looking forward to this:)

i was gonna say i'd settle for a draw but i want to be entertained so COME ON IRELAND!!

ferdi wrote: »
    looking forward to this:)

i was gonna say i'd settle for a draw but i want to be entertained so COME ON IRELAND!!

Ireland under Trap aren't entertaining but if they keep winning, who cares!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Can't wait to head to the match - hoping for a good result!

Lemlin wrote: »
    Ireland under Trap aren't entertaining but if they keep winning, who cares!?
    ah i dont think you can blame Trap for ireland not being entertaining!

ah i dont think you can blame Trap for ireland not being entertaining!

Big Irish fan but yes you can. His old school Italian style is very much results over entertainment. Not that I'm complaining.

• Advertisement

cant remember ireland being wildly entertaining under big jack, mccarthy, kerr tbh

cant remember ireland being wildly entertaining under big jack, mccarthy, kerr tbh

they were like Brazil ffs :)

Kerr was very negative but Big Jack's attitude was play the game in their final thrid and as much as I hate to admit it Mccarthy's team was exciting at times. But to be fair to Trap all 3 prob had better squads.

I'm genuinely worried about the centre of midfield. I think we can hold our own everywhere else if we play well though. When Stephen Reid is back I'll be a lot more confident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Hawk Eye

thinking of making a last minute decision of going to this, have no ticket though, is there always loads of touts outside croker? Where would be the best place around croke park to pick up two tickets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Hawk Eye wrote: »
    thinking of making a last minute decision of going to this, have no ticket though, is there always loads of touts outside croker? Where would be the best place around croke park to pick up two tickets?

My experience is that I always walk past at least several touts going to every game.

Hawk Eye wrote: »

There is at least one person selling on on the soccer tickets forum, or try toutless as well, if you are flexible as regards meeting up with some body this evening in town or at the ground.

I'm genuinely worried about the centre of midfield. I think we can hold our own everywhere else if we play well though. When Stephen Reid is back I'll be a lot more confident.

I don't think Stevie Reid can be relied on. I'm a Blackburn supporter and, while he is great when he's fit, it's not near often enough. I can't understand why Kerr/Staunton didn't give him more of a chance but Ireland certainly need to think of an alternative option to him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Has the team been announced yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

is there going to be any stream for the game apart from the rte (have to be in ireland) one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement