Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland -v- Bulgaria (WCQ) Group 8- 28/3/09 MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Wow Cannavaro was lucky not to see red for that. Couldn't have been more blatant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Just seen Pirlo's penalty tonight. Classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Lmao, how the hell did Cannavaro not see red? /boggle

Here comes trap with his great vocab...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Wathching Italy highlights on RTE. Jesus christ how was Cannavaro not sent off for that challenge - also last player. Disgrace, bet he will have a blinder against us now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

|| P | W | D | L | F | A | GD | Pts
    1 | Italy | 5 | 4 | 1 | 0 | 8 | 2 | 6 | 13
    2 | Rep of Ireland | 5 | 3 | 2 | 0 | 6 | 3 | 3 | 11
    3 | Bulgaria | 4 | 0 | 4 | 0 | 3 | 3 | 0 | 4
    4 | Cyprus | 4 | 1 | 1 | 2 | 4 | 5 | -1 | 4
    5 | Montenegro | 4 | 0 | 2 | 2 | 3 | 6 | -3 | 2
    6 | Georgia | 6 | 0 | 2 | 4 | 4 | 9 | -5 | 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

nice to see Trap noticed Bulgaria kept the ball well.

*hint hint* man:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

ROFL at the yellow for cannavaro. :p

Surely the FAI could've gotten some italian stunner to translate for Trap? :D

As a side we haven't beaten a class international side since 2001. Unless you count Slovakia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I'm a bit scared about next Wednesday. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Surely the FAI could've gotten some italian stunner to translate for Trap? :D
    She's growing on me. She just needs less clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

SlickRic wrote: »
    nice to see Trap noticed Bulgaria kept the ball well.

*hint hint* man:rolleyes:

tbh SlickRic I cant see Trap changing just too stubborn

Sherifu wrote: »

lolz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

She just needs less clothes.

Less on the body, more on the face.

Headshot wrote: »
    tbh SlickRic I cant see Trap changing just too stubborn

oh i know, there's no chance of him changing it.

doesn't mean i can't hope that he'll take the bloody hint anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Here comes trap with his great vocab...

I was thinking the exact same!:pac:
    nekkid you mean :D

I sure as hell wouldn't hold my breadth for next week... Nothing worth watching unfortunately...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I rather listen to Eamo

got to love Eamo
    I loved his quote about Petrov - "He probably wouldn't get in the Irish side because he passes the ball well'' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

im just wondering if i now have the stomach to watch the england highlights on the bbc.................il keep a sick bag handy for all the after match 'brown nosing' for beckham.

SlickRic wrote: »
    oh i know, there's no chance of him changing it.

doesn't mean i can't hope that he'll take the bloody hint anyway.

wonder does Brady have any say at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I'd love to show Dunphy his initial response to Trap's appointment, as compared to the toungue lashing he gave tonight.

I'll be watching the Magners League until Trap sorts out his midfield. Bloody disgraceful.

One thing Dunphy did say which resonated was the comparison he made between Trap and Eddie O'Sullivan, all too conservative.

• Advertisement

I think Brady gets a hard time. All he can do is advise, Trap has no obligation to accept his view.

Brady could advise him on a hundred things and Trap could only agree with half of them. Wouldn't mean he has no say as such.

yeah, im starting to wonder more and more why he's there alright. of all the guys you could think of who would be dismayed at our lack of ball retention, he'd probably be high up the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

This may come across as a knee-jerk reaction but........... ****ing hell I'm so sick of Trapatonni's system, Whelan and Andrews aren't even getting tight on their markers, they've been instructed to mark space. Bulgaria are no hotshots themselves, if Andy Reid/Stephen Ireland was on the pitch we would have beat them comfortably IMO because they aren sooooooo suspect at the back if we showed some ambitition we would have got a lot of change from them. I can't see how any person can justify Trapatonni's 'system' after that performance. Also, WTF was the point in bringing Keogh on 1 minute from time, we needed changed 20 effing minutes prior to that...

noodler wrote: »
    I think Brady gets a hard time. All he can do is advise, Trap has no obligation to accept his view.

Brady could advise him on a hundred things and Trap could only agree with half of them. Wouldn't mean he has no say as such.

if he doesn't accept any of what he says though, why is he there then? of course we don't even know that Brady's advising anyone to keep the ball better, but i'd like to think, given his public disliking of the Big Jack school of football, that he would.

Who says he doesn;t accept any of what he says? Thats you assuming something extreme based on one decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

K4t wrote: »
    Andy Reid and Stephen Ireland back in that team and we're the best team in the group.

Now while they certainly are good players let's not get carried away.

Andy Reid has great ability - best Irish football player as such - but he hasn't the physique to compete at international level and he doesn't seem to be willing to get into shape either. Still good for 60 mins tho.
    Ireland has all that but seems a bit of a headcase.

Even if they both copped on the Irish still wouldn't be the best team in the group. This is Italy we're talking about m8. But they could make a proper bid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ugh, that was a really frustrating game. We've been found out I'm afraid. Results have glossed over the fact we have produced many performances similar to this and we got what we deserved from the game.

The Andy Reid stuff keeps getting mentioned but there should be more emphasis given to Lee Carsley in my opinion. He would be significantly better than Glenn Whelan. I thought the RTE panel were hard on Andrews tonight. He's limited alright and while he's not the solution to Ireland's problems, he's not the problem either. That would be the dire Glenn Whelan who seems to be afraid of the ball.

We are so poor in the centre of the park and this area will make or break our hopes. Our chances against Italy? Only Superman can save us now. ;)

PS don't know if this has been mentioned but what was the story with 'The Den' appearing in the corner of the screen during the Montenegro/Italy highlights? It gave me a good laugh at least and cheered me up a little bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

connundrum wrote: »
    I'd love to show Dunphy his initial response to Trap's appointment, as compared to the toungue lashing he gave tonight.
    He is there to analyse, and he can only analyse what he sees. He probably thought that Trappatoni would get the most out of the players under his control. He's not doing that so Dunphy has every right to criticise him.

noodler wrote: »
    Who says he doesn;t accept any of what he says? Thats you assuming something extreme based on one decision.

right, i should apologise, because i mis-read your post as saying that Brady could advise him a hundred times and not accept any. that's the mindset i was replying to. obviously you didn't say that.

but still, you think Brady, you think passing. i find it hard to believe Brady would want to see us whacking the ball upfield endlessly. obviously its still speculation on my part, but i just find it hard to believe.

Trap out

lol ;)

K4t wrote: »
    He is there to analyse, and he can only analyse what he sees. He probably thought that Trappatoni would get the most out of the players under his control. He's not doing that so Dunphy has every right to criticise him.

Indeed, I'd say the nearly everyone agreed with the appointment at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

IRISHSPORTSGUY, are you implying that Trappatoni isn't up for the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Trappatoni isn't up for the job

joking i presume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just on my way back from the match. Really really disappointed with the result. We had a real chance to seal second place tonight and we didn't take it. Really un-inspiring and frustrating performance.
    I'm heading over for the Italy match on Wednesday and I'm quite worried now.

well i do think it would be ludicrous to replace him now but i would prefer a manager that played decent center mids, we've been lucky so far i wouldn't be suprised if we concede a hammering sometime soon under traps system

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'm heading over for the Italy match on Wednesday and I'm quite worried now.

see ya there!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    IRISHSPORTSGUY, are you implying that Trappatoni isn't up for the job?

I'm coming to the conclusion he's past it. We would have won if there was an ounce of more ambition shown. That was nothing short of disgraceful. We should only have ONE holding midfielder and like most other teams a more creative one partnering him i.e Andy Reid and before anyone mentions his weight - remember he has produced several excellent performances in an Irish shirt in CM.

oh for ****s sake.

lads are yous taking the piss?

who do you want to replace him? Mourinho?

Traps abilities aren't in question, our team however, their ability is very questionable.

worth noting we're still going good in the group.

oh for ****s sake.

Traps abilities aren't in question, our team however, their ability is very questionable.

Trap's abilities are very much in question.

His ability to select a balanced squad, to select a formation based on our strengths, his man-management skills, his scouting network.

Don't get me wrong- I don't want him sacked but there is alot more that could be done with the Irish players available/selected to play for Ireland.

Noodler, i think you would enjoy football a lot more if you resigned yourself to something.

You will never agree with everything a manager does, or every decision they make.

What you should ask yourself is, do you think the manager is the right man for the job, is there anyone better available. If not, then support the manager & dont piss & moan about little things.
    His ability to select a balanced squad, to select a formation based on our strengths, his man-management skills, his scouting network.

Trap can select a balanced squad-he is one of the greatest managers in the history of the game.

Trap can select a formation based on our strenghts-he is one of the greatest managers in the history of the game.

Trap can man manage as well as he will need to-he is one of the greatest managers in the history of the game.

Trap HAS a scouting network, unlike you, who just checks out Sky Sports or MOTD, maybe you should just show a little faith in his decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Samurai wrote: »
    i wouldn't be suprised if we concede a hammering sometime soon under traps system
    Very few teams under the management of Traps will get a hammering. He doesn't set teams up that way. It's not pretty to watch but he plays for results not for pretty football. We can't judge him until the qualifiers are over and even then he has the best CV of anybody that has ever managed an Irish team.

oh for ****s sake.

I want to see a 'system' balanced of both creative and defensively players to compliment our strongest side, not a conservative system designed purely to stifle the opposition (which THAT isn't even doing) so yes his abilities ARE very much in question.
    worth noting we're still going good in the group

LOL that's papering over lots and lots of cracks. The performances against Cyprus, Georgia and tonight could have been so much better. We are still in with a shot of qualification in spite of his system, not because of it.

Noodler, i think you would enjoy football a lot more if you resigned yourself to something.

You will never agree with everything a manager does, or every decision they make.

What you should ask yourself is, do you think the manager is the right man for the job, is there anyone better available. If not, then support the manager & dont piss & moan about little things.

Trap can select a balanced squad-he is one of the greatest managers in the history of the game.

Trap can select a formation based on our strenghts-he is one of the greatest managers in the history of the game.

Trap can man manage as well as he will need to-he is one of the greatest managers in the history of the game.

Trap HAS a scouting network, unlike you, who just checks out Sky Sports or MOTD, maybe you should just show a little faith in his decisions.

You have to make your opinions based on what you see for the team he manages now, hell otherwise we could say Liverpool should have kept Keane based on his Spurs record (you can't have it both ways).

I seriously question if Trap watches Whelan, Andy Reid or Andrews as much as me to be perfectly honest.

What you are saying above is, correct me if I have misread now, that if I can't think of a better alternative for the present then I should bury my head in the sand and ignore the current problems in the Irish performances of late?

You're not a religious extremist by any chance are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Ugh, that was a really frustrating game. We've been found out I'm afraid. Results have glossed over the fact we have produced many performances similar to this and we got what we deserved from the game.

The Andy Reid stuff keeps getting mentioned but there should be more emphasis given to Lee Carsley in my opinion. He would be significantly better than Glenn Whelan. I thought the RTE panel were hard on Andrews tonight. He's limited alright and while he's not the solution to Ireland's problems, he's not the problem either. That would be the dire Glenn Whelan who seems to be afraid of the ball.

We are so poor in the centre of the park and this area will make or break our hopes. Our chances against Italy? Only Superman can save us now. ;)

PS don't know if this has been mentioned but what was the story with 'The Den' appearing in the corner of the screen during the Montenegro/Italy highlights? It gave me a good laugh at least and cheered me up a little bit.

This sums it up for me as well.
    I think Andrews did ok. When he got the ball, he looked fairly comfortable, passed it forward and I don't remember him losing the ball. Whelan, I mean I don't actually remember him touching the ball. He was just non-existent
    Whenever Bulgaria got the ball, they basically had the freedom of the park up until our box. When we got the ball we just have to hoof it up and hope to win the header.
    It was so depressing. We badly need a better midfield. Italy will tear us apart judging by what we did tonight.

God, how I wish Kevin Foley was at right back instead of McShane. I didn't think that Paul wasn't too bad tonight, but it's clear by with half a brain that if you've watched Foley you would know he's a much better player all-round. Solid defensively, and is actually able to support the winger properly.

I haven't seen that much of Damien Delaney, but surely he can't be much worse than Kilbane at left full? He plays for one of the better Championship sides too and is a natural full-back too. Can't see much chance of it happening mind. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

MCSHANE AND WHELAN OUT!!

Bring up Foley and Garvan imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

anyone know where I could download the game? In Perth at the moment couldn't find anywhere to get the match at 5am

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Stephen Ireland has never said he wants to play for Ireland again.
    And if he has show me the quotes, quotes that aren't open to your own interpretation.

Is it being suggested that he is being ignored and not picked?

Ireland says there has been no contact while Brady says there has, so it's a case of who you believe.

JPA wrote: »
    Ireland says there has been no contact while Brady says there has, so it's a case of who you believe.

taking into account one of them is a proven liar, its a easy decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Samurai wrote: »
    see ya there!

See yis both there!!

Advertisement