Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

600-800 lamping scope

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

clivej wrote: »
    Easy way to find out is to look at a tape messure through the scope and then zoom in or out and watch the messurements change across the mildots.

I thought that didn't happen when the reticle was in the FFP. Hopefully someone can clarify it

when the reticle is in the first focal plane it "appears" to shrink when the magnification is dialled down and grow when the magnification is turned up, just as the target image shrinks and grows in tandem, this constant ratio means that the reticle features are always calibrated ie; one mill is always one mill regardless of scope power.

as always very informative and helpful. Thanks foxshooter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

zeiss conquests are in 2nd focal plane along with the majority of the Mk4 leupolds exept the E/RT range.

Jonty wrote: »
    zeiss conquests are in 2nd focal plane along with the majority of the Mk4 leupolds exept the E/RT range.

My nightforce is too, anyone know what advantages there are with this?

It seems the only one I can think of off the top of my head is that the reticle stays a uniform size through the whole magnification range. That's it though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I think you'll find that most scopes have the reticle in the second focal plane.

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »
    My nightforce is too, anyone know what advantages there are with this?

It seems the only one I can think of off the top of my head is that the reticle stays a uniform size through the whole magnification range. That's it though

Its mainly to do with the fact that when you zoom in, the crosshair doesn't get too thick to obscure the target. 2nd FP scopes are mainly european in origin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

alot of the schmidt n benders have there reticles in the first focal plane ,the first scope i had was a 7x42 S/B excellent hunting scope but hard to fine tune on the range .
    i use a swarovski 4-16x50 tds4 and a nightforce 5-15x50 the fine reticle s in these scopes make them good all rounders from stalking to long range target vermin control.

jwshooter wrote: »
    alot of the schmidt n benders have there reticles in the first focal plane.

Its the one fault with the 5-25 power Police marksman series S&B. Up at 25 power the reticle gets a bit thick. I think they offer a 2nd FP version now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

A good schmidt and bender would also be within your budget??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

The Leupold 6.5x20x50 with the varmint hunter rec. is excellent.

The varmint hunter rec is very fine and great for target work, I was a little concerned that it would be to fine for lamping but in the field it proved brilliant and with the clarity of the optics the rec clearly visible and it also has the added bonus of the marked drops for the caliber you use. All the info is provided on a mini cd rom.

link:
    http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-3-riflescopes/vx-3-6-5-20x50mm-long-range-target/

Varmint Rec:

reticle_varmhunt2.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement