Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 24-03-2009 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

hi everyone have just found an african grey parrot for free in the uk all i have to pay is the courier service which is 300 euro its with a company called pets2world anyone heard of it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I would imagine it's a scam, I think there was a thread about something similar a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Scam written all over it. Keep your money in your pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 suzie12

Toulouse wrote: »
    Scam written all over it. Keep your money in your pocket.
    hi thanks i think i will keep my money i so wanted that bird i guess i will just have to go to wicklow and pay the 950 euro for an african grey and be able to see it before i hand over money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Pets2world is a reputable worldwide company but it is a boarding and transportation company. The transportation of pets is their main activity. They do some retail sales of pet supplies as well but I can't imagine them giving away an African Grey. They have an office in Antrim if you want to give them a call to check it out.

Pets2world is a reputable worldwide company but it is a boarding and transportation company. The transportation of pets is their main activity. They do some retail sales of pet supplies as well but I can't imagine them giving away an African Grey. They have an office in Antrim if you want to give them a call to check it out.
    hi the company isnt giveing away an african grey its some guy in the uk thats giveing it away he is useing pets2world to ship it to ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ah! If you're paying Pets2world themselves I can't see where the "scam" would be.

Something still smells about it.

Does no-one in the UK want such a valuable bird? Why is he giving it free and why is he choosing to ship it to a new owner so far away?

If something sounds too good to be true then it usually is.

Ah! If you're paying Pets2world themselves I can't see where the "scam" would be.
    where can i get the number for them in antrim cant seem to find it anywhere

At Your Service
    22 ormeau ave,Belfast.
    county antrim,BT2 8HS
    Customer service UK nationals: (070) 319-32429
    International: +44 (125) 874-5896
    Fax:+44 (125) 874-5582
    United Kingdom

Toulouse wrote: »
    At Your Service
    22 ormeau ave,Belfast.
    county antrim,BT2 8HS
    Customer service UK nationals: (070) 319-32429
    International: +44 (125) 874-5896
    Fax:+44 (125) 874-5582
    United Kingdom
    cheers thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have responded mostly in other thread but perhaps it's best to continue here.
    Pets2world website is very dodgy (http://www.pets2world.com.nu &http://pets2world.googlepages.com/contact). Would an international company use free googlepages?
    Their mail address is pets2world@caress.com and caress.com doesn't even work...

Phone number UK 070 is known to be used by African scammers to pretend to be in UK.
    Sophos estimates that UK 070 numbers are the second most commonly used telephone numbers in these scams. US-based telephone numbers top the list.
    Known as 'personal numbers', 070 numbers look like mobile phone numbers, but can be easily redirected to any number anywhere in the world.

USA area code 360 (as per website) is for Washington, not Nevada as stated on website. It also is regged with:
    Michael Whyte Jewelry Store
    47927, Sunning Hills 6374
    Manhattan, NY 10006
    (360) 226-7052

Magnus wrote: »
    I have responded mostly in other thread but perhaps it's best to continue here.
    Pets2world website is very dodgy (http://pets2world.googlepages.com/contact). Would an international company use free googlepages?
    Their mail address is pets2world@caress.com and caress.com doesn't even work...

Phone number UK 070 is known to be used by African scammers to pretend to be in UK.

USA area code 360 (as per website) is for Washington, not Nevada as stated on website. It also is regged with:
    Michael Whyte Jewelry Store
    47927, Sunning Hills 6374
    Manhattan, NY 10006
    (360) 226-7052
    i have been trying to find the company in the international phone book but keep been told unable to find company

i guess no one else has heard of this pets2world pet courier service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Hi Suzie

I work in the Airport and have dealt indirectly with many pet imports/exports. I have never heard of this crowd and I know a number off these operators. I would recognise the name if they regularly shipped here.
    Unfortunatly theres been a number of scams of this nature in the last couple of years I've been told about people ringing customs and agriculture looking for pets off flights tah don't even exist.
    I would be 100% sure its a scam.

Hi Suzie

I work in the Airport and have dealt indirectly with many pet imports/exports. I have never heard of this crowd and I know a number off these operators. I would recognise the name if they regularly shipped here.
    Unfortunatly theres been a number of scams of this nature in the last couple of years I've been told about people ringing customs and agriculture looking for pets off flights tah don't even exist.
    I would be 100% sure its a scam.
    the parrot is supposed to be comeing from scotland im really confused as what to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Suzie
    Please don't give them any money. Tell them you'll COD and see what happens. They won't want too know. Did you speak to them? Where are they from?

Don't be confused, it's a scam.
    Save your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It's so obviously a scam, any ad that says to send money and they will send on the animal is dodgy. It's important never to buy any animal unless you physically see it first even if that means travelling over to see where the animal is coming from.

Sometimes, rarely but it happed, african greys come in to rescue or private owners need to rehome due to emigrating etc. although some owners need to rehome due to behavioural probs. with the bird and will offer a bird for cheap because of the problems so you'd need to be wary of that.

The 950 or whatever you do eventually pay is a lot but their housing can cost as much and then there's the added items to keep them busy like toys etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Ask them where exactly they are situated in Scotland. Tell them that "funnily enough" your "Aunt" lives there will be visiting that town/city to visit next week and you can collect the bird from them directly. You will quickly see the correspondance dry up.

It is a scam, don't fall for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Fruchiseka

Hello Suzie, ironically enough, we are in the exact same position as you.

We are looking for a husky puppy and saw an ad on a website for one for £160, so we sent an email and as we live in oxford and supposedly so did the pup, we were optimistic.

An email was sent back and we were informed that he had moved to SCOTLAND in the last few days.

This had struck odd to us, as the ad was 4 days old. Surely not advertise for an area you wouldnt be in?

Also the fact that the puppy was free, just shipping required through pets2world. which needed an immediate payment through moneytranfer. We were also informed that the company was under audit so payment was being sent to CAMEROON!?

Very suspicious, we called the company. African guys answered, we got passed around the office until HUNG UP ON.

So we phoned the actual "owner" Dane null. And he sounded exactly the same, sounding as though he was in an office. His emails started nice and friendly, but now he sounded irritated with all our questions. We said we'd get back to him, and I am guessing he is still waiting on our call.

I am sure this is all sounding too familiar to you right now. It's a scam, I'm afraid to say, dont give them a penny.

• Advertisement

Pets2world is a reputable worldwide company but it is a boarding and transportation company. The transportation of pets is their main activity. They have an office in Antrim if you want to give them a call to check it out.
    Can you give some more info on why you say this?
    It seems that we've pretty much 100% established that pets2world are scammers - out of all the responses for pet2world and pets2world only you claim they are the real deal. Is there a proper company with a similar name that also has an office in Antrim?

Sorry for bringing this up again but re-read thread after someone posted in OPs other thread in Newbies.

Advertisement