Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To bay or to bay

• 24-03-2009 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭

just wondering what peoples views are on bay windows - I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of one from my new build

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

enmac wrote: »
    just wondering what peoples views are on bay windows - I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of one from my new build

nice design feature if it complements the form of the dwelling... however they have become a fashion 'must have' for a lot of people..

I wouldnt go near them if i was building today...

There are so many junction details that can go wrong.

The cost per sq ft to build is probably a multiple of 6 or 7 times the dwelling per sq ft costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

They have to be seen in context of the overall design

They can add interest to the elevation and to the internal space and for that reason can justify the hassle factor

If they are part of your planning permission - you will need a further permission to remove them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I'd agree with Sydbeat. Pain to set out foundations so you usually just dig a very wide trench and fill with concrete. Setting out for blockwork and cills a pain. getting cills to fit together awkward.

My main criticism is that at night, ie. when you are using the room, people will draw the curtain across the bay window thereby losing the space. Unless you have a huge bay the space is not useful. Usually a couch won't fit.

I have designed in large bays as a sun trap and to optimise views. So, in some instances they may make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

enmac wrote: »

Tacky on new designs!! Nearly as bad as applying stone to only some elevations and not them all! Or the Dallas porch (including fluted columns and pediment)! No accounting for taste!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Wouldn't the world be a boring place if everyone designed the same type buildings with all the same features, or lack of?

Any element of a building has to have a reason for being, this includes bay windows. I will usually include them in a design if they can maximise a view, take in more sunlight, prevent overlooking, etc.

They can incorporate different materials to provide contrast to a build, like all glass including roof, shingled walls and flat roof, you get the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

They seem to be more common in new builds the further away you go from cities or in large housing estates! Used inappropriately in the vast majority of cases!

Advertisement