Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baking Bread (where to get fresh yeast)

• 24-03-2009 2:42pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've got the urge to bake some bread and bread type things using fresh yeast. Can this be bought in Galway. I remember trying a few years back but couldn't get it, had to stick with the dried variety.

Anyone been able to get this in Galway?

Oh shoite! 1001 posts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I have trouble finding yeast aswell. I walked into the "yeast shop" in Stephens green and guess what? They don't sell yeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I used to work in the Bakery in Superquinns down in Limerick as a student a few years ago, and we used to sell yeast. Would be worthwile asking about it in there if you have one local to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

if I'm not wrong there is a fresh yeast company close to trinity college, college green should be the street name but it's better if you google for it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Try a local baker, or polski sklep. The Fresh Yeast Company don't sell fresh yeast anymore, just dried. Proofex is a popular industry brand, you should be able to get some off a local baker; it's around €8/kg. Can be portioned and frozen for about 3 months. I normally use dried or instant, as it's cheaper, keeps longer, and is easier to use. Not convinced fresh gives any extra edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Orby

Try Mc Cambridges maybe? Or one of bakeries might sell it to you in small amounts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I think cavistons in glasthule (beside Dun Laoghaire) used to have it, but I don't know about know. I'd agree to ask your local bakery, but you never know - they might prefer dried yeast themselves!

http://www.cavistons.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Hi,
    Evergreen in the Galway Shopping Centre stocks fresh yeast. Possibly the only place in Galway...only place I could find anyway! It's in a little cube wrapped in yellow paper in the fridge, bout 1 euro. They don't always have it, but the nice girl told me that they get deliveries on Weds so that might be the best time to try :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 pop.1280

If you're in Cork you can get it in the Italian food shop in a retail park on Forge hill. Also there was a thread here some time explaining how to make your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

You could always make things interesting and try a sourdough.

http://www.io.com/~sjohn/sour.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I've got the urge to bake some bread and bread type things using fresh yeast. Can this be bought in Galway. I remember trying a few years back but couldn't get it, had to stick with the dried variety.

Anyone been able to get this in Galway?

Oh shoite! 1001 posts.

Why was this question moved from the Galway City thread?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

senelra wrote: »
    Hi,
    Evergreen in the Galway Shopping Centre stocks fresh yeast. Possibly the only place in Galway...only place I could find anyway! It's in a little cube wrapped in yellow paper in the fridge, bout 1 euro. They don't always have it, but the nice girl told me that they get deliveries on Weds so that might be the best time to try :)

Thank you Senelra and Orby.

Think I will pop into Evergreen on my way home. Made a white soda last night, but was thinking of making some bagels today or tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The Fresh Yeast Company don't sell fresh yeast anymore, just dried.
    Do they actually sell Yeast? I always thought that name was some sort of gimmick, I didn't think there'd be a big enough market for a high street shop to exist just selling yeast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

It's not exactly high street :) They do sell yeast, but like I said, only dried now. He's only open 2-3 days a week as it is. It's mostly cake decorating supplies. Nice man.

Well, not high street but you could throw a rock (albiet with a ballista) and hit high street from there.
    And he really sells yeast?
    That's just fabulous, I love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

The bakery counter in Superquinn . It is about €2.50 for a 1/2 pound of it,cut it up into 1oz blocks and stick it in the freezer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Just rang Evergreen in the Galway Shopping Centre, they have it and I'm popping in after work to get it.

Looking forward to a bit of experimentation!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fatchops

Yeah the bakery counter at any Superquinn is a really good bet and a lot of Polish shops sell the 50G cubes, but check the date. If you get a decent ammount of fresh yeast, cut it up into 10g or 20g blocks, wrap it and then freeze it, it freezes for ages

If you're going to freeze fresh yeast, you're better off with the dried instant variety. Keeps longer and you'll have more live bacilli per gram than you will with frozen fresh stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭trishawisha

Frozen fresh yeast is a better ingredient to dried instant yeast imo.
    I have used both, Last summer I baked bread for farmers markets and as I didnt have a supplier who supplied yeast, I had to rely on Supermarkets, a few times they didnt have it so had to resort to instant stuff. If you were to compare both loaves of bread it was like two different ends of the spectrum.
    Get the fresh yeast, buy a 1kg block for a couple of euro, portion it, freeze it. You'll always have it in the freezer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

My local Four Star Pizza gives me a few ounces of fresh yeast for free if I want it. Could be worth a try.......

• Advertisement

Give it a go nipplenuts, fresh yeast is lovely to use the smell and texture of it if fantastic, I use it whenever i can although I have ti say easyblend yeast has served me well

Hopsack in Rathmines sell it.

Orby wrote: »
    Hopsack in Rathmines sell it.
    Where abouts in Rathmines is that Orby ?

Hi Fatchops,

It's in The Swan Centre- beside the juice bar. The yeast is on the very top shelf of the fridge usually.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

fatchops wrote: »
    Yeah the bakery counter at any Superquinn is a really good bet

was in superquinn in dublin on saturday, they dont do it.

is there anywhere in north county dublin that would sell it ?

is this a good business idea - i wonder?

is this a good business idea - i wonder?
    You might be on to something there, although the demand for fresh yeast on a domestic scale might be a bit small, I think you would want to be providing it in conjunction with other products. The last time I bought fresh yeast was from the bakery counter in Superquinn, Finglas. The main supplier of commercial yeast is a company called Proofex (Ther Yeast Company), but they generally only deal with trade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Interesting fact. Most bakers or supermarkets in England will give you free yeast. Something to do with an old 'Bakers Code' iirc.

RIP OFF IRELAND!!1!!11!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

fatchops wrote: »
    The last time I bought fresh yeast was from the bakery counter in Superquinn, Finglas.

really, i asked there last week and they looked at me as though i was completely insane

Advertisement