Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best things about Dundalk

Options
  • 24-03-2009 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

hi guys how about a post about the best things about dundalk
    to rid us of all this negativity,come on its not a bad place
    my list-
    1.the people-who by & large are very genuine,and really want the best for everyone
    2.layout of town-compared to most other provincial towns it is streets ahead eg compared to -sligo,letterkenny,drogheda ect.
    3.services-pool,town hall,museum,ice rink,jjb hall,shops,restaurants ,pubs they have it all here
    4.-50 mins from either belfast or dublin airports (very handy )
    5.the most successful soccer club outside dublin-'come on d town'
    6.the corr's-who went to the redemmer school
    7.dkit that is close to being an uni
    8.affordable housing again ,property prices all re-align again to there real value
    9.its the biggest town in the smallest county in ireland

feel free to make ur own list has this is just the tip of the ice berg

no whinger's please,has that is the governments job

enjoy ,has every day ur around is a good day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Glad to hear positive stuff about Dundalk. I love my town:o. Have to agree, handy travelling to Dublin and the north and the top class selection of grub for us locals -all the chinese takeaways with delivery, and great chippers like Tony's and the Roma with delish chips you'd struggle to find so nice outside the town. Don't have to travel out of town anymore at Christmas to Smyths and Argos plus grand women's clothes shops too. Not to forget we have all the extras like the ice rink, the pool and the dog stadium and few towns have such choice for kids' parties -Pirate's Den,JJB and Tumble Towers:).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

+1 to all that has been mentioned above in the posts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

DKIT has pretty much got University status

It can already award it own degrees which is mainly left to Universities and the main differences between IT and Uni's

DKIT has the statutory authority to award its own degrees. DKIT has a full range of Bachelors, Masters and Phd programmes.

Source http://www.educationireland.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=203&Itemid=100024

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Aikon2009

Silence on a thursday night:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

best thing about dundalk ,,,,,,,, in my eyes ,,,,,,,, the road out of it ,,,,,,,,ha,,,ha,,,,ha!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

DAMO@ARC wrote: »
    hi guys how about a post about the best things about dundalk
    to rid us of all this negativity,come on its not a bad place
    my list-
    1.the people-who by & large are very genuine,and really want the best for everyone
    2.layout of town-compared to most other provincial towns it is streets ahead eg compared to -sligo,letterkenny,drogheda ect.
    3.services-pool,town hall,museum,ice rink,jjb hall,shops,restaurants ,pubs they have it all here
    4.-50 mins from either belfast or dublin airports (very handy )
    5.the most successful soccer club outside dublin-'come on d town'
    6.the corr's-who went to the redemmer school
    7.dkit that is close to being an uni
    8.affordable housing again ,property prices all re-align again to there real value
    9.its the biggest town in the smallest county in ireland

feel free to make ur own list has this is just the tip of the ice berg

no whinger's please,has that is the governments job

enjoy ,has every day ur around is a good day

Thats a great list there mate . Very Happy for you :rolleyes: considering your town has gotten were it is to the detriment of the rest of the county who have gotten bugger all over the years .Not to mention good old Dermot ahern .When the rest of the county learn to stop voting for dundalk poloticans things might change .Heres hoping .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Folks, read the thread title. If you want to whinge about the town use this thread, I'm not going to tolerate it here. We could use a bit of positivity every now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 DAMO@ARC

best thing about dundalk ,,,,,,,, in my eyes ,,,,,,,, the road out of it ,,,,,,,,ha,,,ha,,,,ha!:D

drumshambo hash,:D

highest use of electricity in ireland(a lot of heaters in attic's):p

well at least ur close to sligo

and what an accent;)

although u do hav some nice pub grub in carrick on shannon

listen chill out and hav a blast mate,we're all irish

Thats a great list there mate . Very Happy for you :rolleyes: considering your town has gotten were it is to the detriment of the rest of the county who have gotten bugger all over the years .Not to mention good old Dermot ahern .When the rest of the county learn to stop voting for dundalk poloticans things might change .Heres hoping .

don't be bitter mate -we don't mind sharing it all here,being a small county u can't be that far away,
    has regards dermot-dermot looks out for dermot,
    he has brought practically no jobs to dundalk,what did he do for cross border activity-sure he put vat up just to push the shoppers that wee bit further over the border.
    any infrastructure were part of a developemnt plan to make it a hub town,dermot had no say on that
    seamus kirk looks after the outer limits:D
    drog voted f.g. and it has more employment than dundalk
    and cooley s.f. looks out for the sheep:D

mate dundalk done it themselves,the people here hav the resolve to do it without being bitter with what everyone else is getting,we just get on with
    so that what i advise you to do mate ,get on with it and has
    liam galagher would say 'Don't look back in anger'

Aikon2009 wrote: »
    Silence on a thursday night:p

its probably a bit like what ridley's use to be like on a mon nite when the absolutely's use to hav a residency there,it was mad crack way back when.memories of the spiral stairs:P

• Advertisement

Ann22 wrote: »
    Glad to hear positive stuff about Dundalk. I love my town:o. Have to agree, handy travelling to Dublin and the north and the top class selection of grub for us locals -all the chinese takeaways with delivery, and great chippers like Tony's and the Roma with delish chips you'd struggle to find so nice outside the town. :).

ze jade hits the spot on a sat nite

chicken kiev in the brake mmmm!

chateu brean in the lisdoo mmm!

tony's chips(great for xplosion's next day at work)

la cantina pizza(if they don't burn it)

what about all the new gormet coffe shops,graet for caffeine fix

and of coarse mc donald's for constipation relief:D

ah! i is getting hungry

Folks, read the thread title. If you want to whinge about the town use this thread, I'm not going to tolerate it here. We could use a bit of positivity every now and again.

time to block out the crap and appreciate the good things we have around us,
    if people think negative they act negative.
    time to get the positive vibes out there.:pac:
    the glass is 3/4 full not 1/2 empty.

look at the positivity sport has on us,we all felt a tad better on sat.
    just hav to put that in to mainstream.
    we will bounce back ,just need to get the trampoline fixed

take it easy mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

has regards dermot-dermot looks out for dermot,
    he has brought practically no jobs to dundalk,what did he do for cross border activity-sure he put vat up just to push the shoppers that wee bit further over the border.

You don't really get how things work do you?

Not a huge amount I like about Dundalk, some nice countryside around it. Well, the bits that knackers haven't dumped their **** on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have to say it took a stranger from the North West to point out the better aspects of Dundalk to me a few years ago. The wide streets are a definate bonus and there is wonderful architecture (look up at the buildings above first fllor level in Clanbrassil street and some are fabulous). The people are certainly as friendly as anywhere else in Ireland and despite the size of the town it still holds on to the small town feel, in that many people know each other and people will still greet you with a "good morning" on the street.
    Any whinging about Dundalk getting more than other parts of the county is just malicous jealousy and should be ignored as it has no place on this thread. This town has what it has thanks to generations of hard working people and people with a vision of what they wanted in a town. It shows all around the town.:)

cheers mate,its time to give dundalk due credit,for all its faults its not a bad old place to live in.
    the grass alway's looks greener on the other side.
    i for one love the place

amacachi wrote: »

u obviously hav'nt been out in the big bad world yet,
    u would realize that everyone has to make there own bed's in this life and not rely on everyone else to do it for them

]:rolleyes:

u obviously hav'nt been out in the big bad world yet,
    u would realize that everyone has to make there own bed's in this life and not rely on everyone else to do it for them

]:rolleyes:

Eh, what has that got to do with you asserting that Dermot Ahern raised the VAT rate when in fact he has nothing to do with it?

Eh, what has that got to do with you asserting that Dermot Ahern raised the VAT rate when in fact he has nothing to do with it?

i am well aware its not his departement,but he also sits at the cabinet table and could hav very well pointed out the huge mistake to rise it (which subsequetly leniehan has addmitted too),also i was just replying to prev thread which insinuated that politician's from dun just look after there own.this is not a polictical thread,
    by the way this thread is for best things about dundalk,if u want to whinge go to another thread.
    also why did u abuse the minorities,kna....,take the chip off the shoulder mate.
    cheer up and smile:).ur living in one of the best towns in ireland,
    have a good afternoon,you'll be in better form tomorrow

i am well aware its not his departement,but he also sits at the cabinet table and could hav very well pointed out the huge mistake to rise it (which subsequetly leniehan has addmitted too),also i was just replying to prev thread which insinuated that politician's from dun just look after there own.this is not a polictical thread,
    by the way this thread is for best things about dundalk,if u want to whinge go to another thread.
    also why did u abuse the minorities,kna....,take the chip off the shoulder mate.
    cheer up and smile:).ur living in one of the best towns in ireland,
    have a good afternoon,you'll be in better form tomorrow

Who's to say he didn't say anything at the meeting?
    It's ok to "abuse" a minority when you're part of it.
    Christ it's tough to read your typing.

I never said this was a political thread, but I'm still gonna call BULL**** when I see it, just like I'm sure someone would point out that I was talking out of my arse :)

I'm sure someone would point out that I was talking out of my arse :)

oh feck off to another thread,you bore me:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

ya louth is actually a nice county too:D

PARKS--st .helena's,ice house hill,stephentowns pond ect
    churches -st .paddies,friary,nicholas,redemptorist(which has one of the best novena's in the country 'st.gerards").ect

feel free to add other features of the town,
    there are plenty more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Its quite close to Sainsburys in Newry ;)

TommyT wrote: »
    Its quite close to Sainsburys in Newry ;)
    contrary to belief we in dundalk embrace newry and while they have there day in the sun we know our day will come again.
    sterling will not always be has weak and the uk government are going to introduce new tax's on wine and beer,they too are in reccession so they will have a very tight budget in april )so it might not be just has attractive to shop in the uk.
    come on d town
    shopdundalk:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

shopdundalk? There are hardly any shops left. Clanbrassil St is like a ghost town. Carrols Village and The Long Walk are on their last legs.
    BUT its swings and rounabouts, Dundalk will have its day in the sun again, but not in the forseable future. Remember we are also having a budget soon, the usual suspects will get loaded with extra tax. Drink, cigs, and fuel. The shop owners of Newry and all the border towns from here to Derry are going to be the only winners in our next budget, but the government cant see that, they dont realise that by increasing taxes we spend less and in turn they get less.
    ShopDundalk is a great idea and I support it as much as I can, but when there are 40, 50 and even 60% savings to be made 14 miles up the road then many of us will vote with our wallets.

TommyT wrote: »
    shopdundalk? There are hardly any shops left. Clanbrassil St is like a ghost town. Carrols Village and The Long Walk are on their last legs.

yes tommy i agree with certain aspects of what ur saying but rest assured if you bypass the shopping centre's in newry go up the main street,you will find it a bit of a ghost town too,very little life beyond the quay's.

of coarse we have too many empty shops in dundalk,and it will take time to get it back to the hey day's,but many of us are working at doing that.

i do not blame anyone for shopping up north,but we have to be frugel and support our local industries has much has we can.believe it or not local shops are trying by cutting back on a lot of overheads ,you can see all shops passing on reductions man.they are making a effort so its up to us to support them.
    you will be surprised if you give them a chance.

stay positive tommy,you might surprise urself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭dougie ward

we got more taffic lights than you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭dougie ward

king charlie burgers! oriel park, listening to dundalkfm when i can't make a game,harp larger! handy stores for the white mice! horse/greyhound racing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

And that's coming from someone from leitrim???
    Didn't you guys only get your first set of traffic lights a couple of years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sex?

i used to this dundalk was a sham of a place that was full of knackers and had no facilities. then i moved down to sligo for college and ive been in a load of big towns round ireland and i have to say that dundalk is the best of them. it has the cheapest nightclubs, most gyms, pools etc. shopping is one of the best. the traffic, although its bad, isnt nearly as bad as places like sligo, monaghan or galway. and the best chipper in ireland has to be the europa, apart from the wee one in meigh village outside newry, and ive heard thats gone the tube these days.

Advertisement