Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on MA programmes in English

Options
  • 24-03-2009 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

I'm in the process of applying for an MA, and I'm undecided about my first choice. I'm torn between Modernity, Literature and Culture, and Renaissance Literature and Culture.

So far as I'm concerned, there is very little to choose between them. So, as my academic transcript isn't the greatest, I'd prefer to opt for the course that is less subscribed, and has the greater chance of having a spare place or two come September.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone doing either course has any opnions or thought they'd like to share on them, that'd be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Maybe I'm missing something incredibly obvious, but why don't you just apply for both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

You can only really apply for one. You can select a second choice but your application is only sent to your second choice upon being rejected by your first. At which point the personal statement I'd have tailered for the first option would become useless. If that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Not really. The application goes to both as far as I'm aware and you do two separate personal statements for each.

Oh. I've made a grave mistake in applying and only submitting a personal statement for my first choice then.

I knew I was being too hasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Things might have changed, but in my day (2005), the Modern Literature MA (as it was then called) was quite over-subscribed (50ish applicants for 12 places), while what was then the equivalent of Renaissance (can't remember the name) didn't even run that year because no-one wanted to do it.

It's only March so I'd be surprised if it wasn't possible to still apply for both though.

• Advertisement

Thanks, thats exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Renaissance for me then.

Advertisement