Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

File Manager

• 24-03-2009 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi Guys

I have a website and I want clients to be able to log in and view the information that relates to them and them only. The information will be files, images, audio files etc. They should also be able to upload files and download files.

What is the best way for this to be done.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

First off you need to set up a user management system, most containers come with one built in.

Otherwise you could build one yourself...

Secondly you need to decide on storage for your files and how you will retrict access. You have 2 choices really, database or filesystem.

With filesystem your going to be depending on right to access etc and it will be harder to migrate your site to a different server at a later date but it does have the advantage of faster access.

If you choose to store in a db you will most likely use BLOBS, check it out for your relavant DB.

You can just have a column in this table for a userid and use this to identify who owns the file. You may want a group column too to allow people to share files amongst others... I'll let you think how to implement that yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Try basecamp, it might be suitable for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

+1 for basecamp or other similar tools.

Advertisement