Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food and drink match

• 24-03-2009 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

What's your favourite match? Mine used to be a glass of milk with just about anything I ate. Now, I'm a bit more fussy.

For me, spaghetti bolognese with an Italian red (Sangiovese). OMG - could have it everyday!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I don't really get the whole matching wine with meat thing, I think it's a bit like the whole "desert wine" i think it's a myth.

If a wine is good it will be good with anything.

but anyway

I love a pinto full fat creamy milk with a stew nyom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

My friend used to eat toast but keep the crusts to dip them in tk orange!!I actually think she still does it but is hiding it due to embarrassment!

ohanloj3 wrote: »
    My friend used to eat toast but keep the crusts to dip them in tk orange!!I actually think she still does it but is hiding it due to embarrassment!

that sounds gorgeous.

TK orange is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Milk with spag bol... must be a childhood thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

ntlbell wrote: »

I disagree, and my wine/food matching skills are pretty primitive.

A good hoppy bitter with some strong cheese.
    Or, you know, a glass of cold milk with whatever's going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phsyche

White bread (not the sliced variety) butter and cheese with a really strong cup of tea with a few grains of coffee in it. (no milk). MMMmmmm.

noby wrote: »
    I disagree, and my wine/food matching skills are pretty primitive.

A good hoppy bitter with some strong cheese.
    Or, you know, a glass of cold milk with whatever's going.

let me change it a tad.

If it's a wine you really "enjoy" you will enjoy it with anything.

IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

let me change it a tad.

If it's a wine you really "enjoy" you will enjoy it with anything.

IMHO

Not so. Most reds taste terrible with dessert.

I don't hold with a strict red with red meat/white with fish, chicken

but a heavy red just does not go with fish.

Not so. Most reds taste terrible with dessert.

I don't hold with a strict red with red meat/white with fish, chicken

but a heavy red just does not go with fish.

what type of fish?

your saying _all_ heavy reds_ don;t go with ANY type of fish?

really?

what type of fish?

your saying _all_ heavy reds_ don;t go with ANY type of fish?

really?

maybe tuna but even then I'd go for something medium bodied rather than a big Bordeaux or Rioja

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Interesting thread!!

Mine would be:

Really good steak - Argentinian Malbec

BBQ - Beer or a Nero d'avola red

Kettle chips and peroni beer

Guinness and ham and cheese toasties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

*HOW* in the hell can you drink milk with main courses? What's the purpose??? Milk is known for removing any flavour...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭brick tamland

A good spicy curry and an Ice cold bottle of beer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

*HOW* in the hell can you drink milk with main courses? What's the purpose??? Milk is known for removing any flavour...

Milk is from cows.

Beef is from cows.

Bolognese sauce is cooked with milk. It is said to enhance the flavour, in particular the umami flavour.

Maybe its the same with fresh milk? I don't know I don't do it.

enda1 wrote: »
    Milk is from cows.

Beef is from cows.

Bolognese sauce is cooked with milk. It is said to enhance the flavour, in particular the umami flavour.

Maybe its the same with fresh milk? I don't know I don't do it.

*In Ireland* bolognese sauce is cooked with milk.

*In Ireland* bolognese sauce is cooked with milk.

*In Ireland* it usually isn't cooked in milk. But if one were to follow one of the many "authentic" Italian recipes knocking about then milk certainly would be an ingredient.

There is no one recipe for Bolognese but many do contain milk (and not Irish recipes).

"Because of the hotly debated topic of ‘what is authentic ragu’ in Bologna, in 1982, the Bologna chapter of the Accademia Italiana della Cucina researched and investigated what should be the official recipe of Ragu. This academic society whose aim is to preserve Italian food and techniques created the “Classic Ragu alla Bolognese""

Funnily enough, their recipe has milk in it too!!

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/ragu-alla-bolognese-authentic-bolognese-sauce-670.html

http://www.grouprecipes.com/34120/authentic-bolognese.html

http://www.saveur.com/food/classic-recipes/classic-rag-alla-bolognese-1000053616.html

*In Ireland* it usually isn't cooked in milk. But if one were to follow one of the many "authentic" Italian recipes knocking about then milk certainly would be an ingredient.

There is no one recipe for Bolognese but many do contain milk (and not Irish recipes).

"Because of the hotly debated topic of ‘what is authentic ragu’ in Bologna, in 1982, the Bologna chapter of the Accademia Italiana della Cucina researched and investigated what should be the official recipe of Ragu. This academic society whose aim is to preserve Italian food and techniques created the “Classic Ragu alla Bolognese""

Funnily enough, their recipe has milk in it too!!

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/ragu-alla-bolognese-authentic-bolognese-sauce-670.html

http://www.grouprecipes.com/34120/authentic-bolognese.html

http://www.saveur.com/food/classic-recipes/classic-rag-alla-bolognese-1000053616.html

The intention of the topic was about food/drink pairing and I'm still convinced that drinking milk with main courses does not make any sense.

For the recipe, i wouldn't consider the Accademia Italiana della Cucina an institution and in italian recipes there is usually a lot of variations, anyway if you want to check by yourself their 'official recipe' you will find that there is no milk in there, have a look at http://www.accademiaitalianacucina.it/inglese/indricette.html,
    or at the recipe itself: http://www.accademiaitalianacucina.it/cgi-bin/dbview.pl?ricette.txt+dbviewer.html+327

unfortunately it's only in Italian but the italian word for 'milk' is 'latte', you can use CTRL+F to look for it.

Back to the topic, I know that both beef and milk come from the cow, but it does not sound to me as a reason to eat/drink them together; at the end of the day, I suppose, it's just a matter of personal taste and the milk here is really great.

The intention of the topic was about food/drink pairing and I'm still convinced that drinking milk with main courses does not make any sense.

For the recipe, i wouldn't consider the Accademia Italiana della Cucina an institution and in italian recipes there is usually a lot of variations, anyway if you want to check by yourself their 'official recipe' you will find that there is no milk in there, have a look at http://www.accademiaitalianacucina.it/inglese/indricette.html,
    or at the recipe itself: http://www.accademiaitalianacucina.it/cgi-bin/dbview.pl?ricette.txt+dbviewer.html+327

unfortunately it's only in Italian but the italian word for 'milk' is 'latte', you can use CTRL+F to look for it.

Back to the topic, I know that both beef and milk come from the cow, but it does not sound to me as a reason to eat/drink them together; at the end of the day, I suppose, it's just a matter of personal taste and the milk here is really great.

You could just say that you were mistaken when you assumed that milk in Bolognese was an *Irish* invention!

BY the way, your link to the recipe doesn't work.

You could just say that you were mistaken when you assumed that milk in Bolognese was an *Irish* invention!

BY the way, your link to the recipe doesn't work.

I admit it's not an irish invention but it wasn't my intention to say that this thing was introduced by the Irish people :D

In Italy milk with main courses is a no-no, even in the recipes, the closer thing I can remember is a sour cream used for some particular sauces, so I suppose it's not even an Italian invention.

FYI both links work fine for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Your link to "the recipe" is to a ragu alla romagnola not bologna. Different cities, different interpretations.

Milk is used in Italian cooking. Where did you come up with that nonsense?
    Italian cooking varies tremendously, one village will say its essential to have ingredient x whereas their neighbour will say its a travesty to include it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Italian cooking varies tremendously

Especially when you include Sicilian cuisine in the mix.....Sicily wasnt really part of italy until just over a hundred years ago was it? Go ask the guys in Bologna how to do it.......

Your link to "the recipe" is to a ragu alla romagnola not bologna. Different cities, different interpretations.

Milk is used in Italian cooking. Where did you come up with that nonsense?
    Italian cooking varies tremendously, one village will say its essential to have ingredient x whereas their neighbour will say its a travesty to include it.

... romagna is not a city
    my advise is to go to Bologna and ask the people over there. Anyway the topic is about food/drink pairing. If you don't want to go there just check the italian wikipedia and search for "latte" here http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rag%C3%B9_bolognese or in the official recipe done and registered by the italian cooking academy (http://it.wikibooks.org/wiki/Libro_di_cucina/Ricette/Rag%C3%B9_bolognese), again, look for 'latte'.

I think he's rattled!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... romagna is not a city
    my advise is to go to Bologna and ask the people over there...

Well I did go to Bologna, and I didn't think of asking. But a native told me something of interest: spaghetti bolognese is not a local dish. The sauce is associated with Bologna, but they don't traditionally eat spaghetti in that area.

When I ate in a tourist restaurant, and most of the visitors were doing their "authentic" thing in ordering spaghetti bolognese, I allowed myself a small gloat and had tortelloni. With Sangiovese, not milk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

La Trappe Dubbel With any assortment of good cheeses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Hot buttered white toast and tea. Something magical happens in your mouth when you take a bite of toast and a slug of tea at the same time. Not very mannerly but who cares! Btw it has to be real butter.

On the subject of the milk in Bolognese, I use a Carluccio recipe that has milk in it. The theory is that the enzymes in the milk break down the mince over a long cooking period. However I would have thought that the enzymes would be denatured by the heat. I think that the milk just adds a sweetness to the sauce. Still it tastes great.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I don't really get the whole matching wine with meat thing, I think it's a bit like the whole "desert wine" i think it's a myth.

Not exactly true. You're entitled to your opinion but some wines go better with some foods. A great red will be 'good' with certain foods but will be better with others. It doesn't mean that the red tastes less good but it could have been better had it been aired with a different dish.

Advertisement