Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strike Monday 30th March

Options
  • 24-03-2009 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not part of the Union in work nor do I want to be but if I come on Monday i'll be crossing the picket (should the strike go ahead)

Some of my friends are telling me to talk to my manager about this, tell my manager it is a conflict of interest and that I do not want to jeopardise my relationship with my colleagues.

Other people are just telling me to ring in sick on the day

I dont' want to ring in sick cause I only have certain amount of sick days in my contract. Someone else said take a holiday leave day off but I don't want to waste it on a strike day.

Anyone know if I have any leg to stand on when talking to my manager about not wanting to cross the picket?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭aonfocaleile

Well the strike didn't go ahead so it probably wasn't an issue in the end (assuming of course you are referring to the national strike day which was called off). However, I don't think you would have had a leg to stand of you didn't pass the picket to be honest. You have chosen not to be a member of the union, which is your right, but if you refused to pass the picket you would have effectively been on strike yourself. Short of taking sick leave, going in to work as normal was your only option. You can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I'd ask about taking the day unpaid - if this situation arises again in the future.
    you then keep hols , sick days , and good relations with collegues.
    in my own case it would be worth it for a days pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

You do need to be very careful in heavily Unionised work places. I know someone who had to pass a number of pickets over the years due to being in managerial positions where it was expected (required). The abusive/threatening anonymous phone calls died down after a while but even years later there were people who would refuse to be civil towards them because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Not crossing the picket is called secondary picketing and it's illegal.

If a strike happens again (and don't rule it out), I think you should chat to your manager and come to some arrangement. Preferably one that doesn't involve crossing picket lines. I know of someone who crossed a picket line years ago and was practically sent to Coventry. Story goes that when they went into the staff canteen for lunch the next day, everyone got up and walked out. It took a long time for things to get back to something like normality.

Advertisement