Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuning a guitar to play mandolin tunes/chords GDAE

Options
  • 24-03-2009 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hello,

So apart from trying out different gauge strings and tuning 4 of the 6 guitar strings to GDAE, are there any quick tunings that could be done, where I could lob on a capo and be able to play some tunes in GDAE, using the top 4 or middle 4 or last 4 strings on a guitar.

I know I'll have to try it trial and error on each fret of the guitar, but maybe someone has done this before and can tell me "yeah stick the capo on X fret, tune that string up, that one down," and you could play mando chords. It would enable me to play tunes and have a deeper tone...

Anyone ever done this...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 tommo200

Hi , I tried this though i was aiming for tenor banjo , same tuning.
    to be honest it didnt work out for me really , though maybe I never hit on the right capo/string configuration.
    For guitar , DADGAD is my favorite for playing tunes.
    By all means experiment!

PS to do it right you will need to put on different guage strings to yer regular guitar set ( tuning all in 5ths won't suit the guitar set ) so it may defeat the quick tune up and down i think you are after.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I did try this briefly before getting an actual mandolin. Obviously be careful tuning strings above pitch like this and don't banjax a good guitar. :)

e-2 d e
    b-4 g a
    g-7 c d
    d+3 f g
    a
    E

Basically I tuned the top 3 strings down and the 4th string up as shown above and stuck a capo on at 2. It sounded awful to be honest. I think mainly to do with the G string being so slack. You could always squeeze an extra semitone or two out of the D string but it's risky I suppose.

The sound is incomparable really. You'd be better off finding an accommodating music shop that will let you play with a mandolin for an hour or so if you're trying to decide whether to buy one or not.

If you're doing it so you can play mandolin tunes on guitar long term, you're wasting your time imo. Even a cheap one will sound miles better than detuning a guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I play the mandolin already, but I suppose I was just looking to experiment on a guitar to see what it could sound like.
    The one thing I would stay away from is tuning strings up, and if you tune them down too much, then, as mentioned, they would slacken..
    I was playing a few bouzoukis and octave mandolins in a shop recently, and the idea came to me, "an 8 string with a big body, that would sound great".

The one thing I find hard on the zook is playing melodies (stretching the fingers)

I suppose the guitar idea would be just to accompany...I was going to try it on a 12 string guitar to see if I could play the same tunes and melodies I play on mandolin...

Advertisement