Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosacea & Ocular Rosacea

Options
  • 24-03-2009 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a 45 year old female and in the last year, have been diagnosed with rosacea and ocular rosacea.
    I know it's not a serious illness, but it can be quite unpleasant.
    My face is always bright red and my eyes are irritated and streaming.

I've been on antibiotics for 6 months to try and clear it up. I went off them twice and it got worse.
    can anyone offer any help?
    Kitty

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

just a reminder folks, personal experience only. Medical advice-type posts will be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

My brother has had rosacea for a number of years, not ocular rosacea as well though.

He went for a few courses of different types of laser treatment which has really helped his skin. He also went to see a homeopath and I believe he found that useful as well.

Finding the right types of products that suit your skin can help prevent it flaring up.

I'm afraid I don't have any personal experience of ocular rosacea to give you - sorry and best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi I've also got rosacea and have been on antibotics for it but I use a cream called rozex daily and it seems to keep it at bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

I'm a 32 year old female and was diagnosed with rosacea in 2003. I started taking tetracycline and it improved after a few weeks and then cleared up completely.

Last year on the advice of my then doctor (I've changed docs since) I stopped taking the tetracycline. Unfortunately it returned even worse than before. I started the tetracycline again 3 weeks ago, skin is still very, very painful so I hope it starts working soon!

I don't know if this means that I have to take tetracycline for the rest of my life or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

trish990 wrote: »
    I'm a 32 year old female and was diagnosed with rosacea in 2003. I started taking tetracycline and it improved after a few weeks and then cleared up completely.

Last year on the advice of my then doctor (I've changed docs since) I stopped taking the tetracycline. Unfortunately it returned even worse than before. I started the tetracycline again 3 weeks ago, skin is still very, very painful so I hope it starts working soon!

I don't know if this means that I have to take tetracycline for the rest of my life or what.

I've had similar experiences to earlier posters. I'm male, 43 yo and was diagnosed with this condition almost 7 years ago. I've had repeat prescriptions for tetracycline and rosex (oral and topical antibiotics) since. It keeps the condition at bay most of the time but there are still some flare ups. My GP is keen to have my blood checked for liver function tests every six months due to the continuous use of antibiotics.

There's a non commercial support group that have a website (http://www.rosacea.org/index.php) which has some useful information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

I've had similar experiences to earlier posters. I'm male, 43 yo and was diagnosed with this condition almost 7 years ago. I've had repeat prescriptions for tetracycline and rosex (oral and topical antibiotics) since. It keeps the condition at bay most of the time but there are still some flare ups. My GP is keen to have my blood checked for liver function tests every six months due to the continuous use of antibiotics.

There's a non commercial support group that have a website (http://www.rosacea.org/index.php) which has some useful information.

I had severe rosacea for years, it got to the point I sat in at weekends. I was on anti biotics, no hot showers allowed, avoided going out in the cold, no junk food, I even gave up going to the gym and cycling. It became a nightmare and worse still my doctor said it would get worse as I got older. I couldnt even wash my face as it caused flare ups.

I decided I had no alternative but to get laser treatment. Two years on and I can honestly say its the best thing I ever did. The results were (and still are) nothing short of miraculous. I had three sessions and it never came back. I was prescribed a glycolic acid facewash, lotion and sunblock (which I now buy online for a third of the price) and was told once I use the sunblock everyday it wont come back. I actually get compliments nowadays from people (which I still find hard to get used to).

The laser clinic I went to were the best though. The woman that runs it is trying to regulate "cowboy" clinics and has been researching techniques for years. Rosacea is a terrible condition to live with.. Jesus I dont think I could go through it again.

If you want PM me and Ill be more than happy to give you the name of that clinic. Worth a consulatation at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 In Limbo

Ironman,

I just pmd you there. Would you mind sending the info through.

Thanks

Advertisement