Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakdown of Government Expenditure

Options
  • 24-03-2009 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi all.

I'm sure many of us have been thinking as of late about the government and its finances. I also believe most people are more than prepared to take their fair share of the pain that will be necessary to get us back on the right track.

At the moment I'm wondering if the government publishes details of where its money goes? I'm not looking for x amount to such and such a department, what I'd really like to have a look at is department x spent x amount on catering costs for example. In the US, Obama has said he'll go through the budget line by line looking for possible savings, but I'm not confident the same is going to happen here.

I hear a lot of talk about things such a politicians pay (i.e. reducing it won't save much of the total amount needed) but surely it all adds up and if each department went through their budgets and cut out the stuff that is not needed it will make up a decent chunk of what it required while at the same time minimize job loses/pay cuts.

So, are these figures published anywhere or are they not for public viewing?

Thanking you.

Comments

Advertisement