Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endnote help

• 24-03-2009 5:27pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I hope this is the right forum for this; I can't think of a better one. I'm writing my dissertation at the moment and using Endnote. I usually use a 'Nature' style of referencing, however we're required to reference in the style of the Journal of Neuroscience. So before I could say "X and Y found Z in 1960 [1]" and insert the reference into Word that way. But with the Journal of Neuroscience style, I can't figure out how to write the reference into the text and still insert it into my bibliography with Endnote. If I write "X and Y found Z in 1960" and insert the reference, I get "X and Y found Z in 1960 (X and Y, 1960)", and that looks a bit stupid.

I also want to say (X 1975, as cited in Y 1987), but Endnote keeps putting in brackets I don't want and won't allow me to delete them.

Do I just have to manually put in my own references to the bibliography when they won't behave themselves with Endnote?

Comments

I think you are going to have to put it in manually.It was the bane of my life when I was doing my FYP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Faith wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I hope this is the right forum for this; I can't think of a better one. I'm writing my dissertation at the moment and using Endnote. I usually use a 'Nature' style of referencing, however we're required to reference in the style of the Journal of Neuroscience. So before I could say "X and Y found Z in 1960 [1]" and insert the reference into Word that way. But with the Journal of Neuroscience style, I can't figure out how to write the reference into the text and still insert it into my bibliography with Endnote. If I write "X and Y found Z in 1960" and insert the reference, I get "X and Y found Z in 1960 (X and Y, 1960)", and that looks a bit stupid.

I also want to say (X 1975, as cited in Y 1987), but Endnote keeps putting in brackets I don't want and won't allow me to delete them.

Do I just have to manually put in my own references to the bibliography when they won't behave themselves with Endnote?

EndNote should have the option to change the style to that of the Journal of Neuroscience - problem solved. The other problem is only in your head - write something like this: " Faith et al. saw that psychiatric condition X was associated with variable Y (Faith et al. 1987)." OR: "Psychiatric condition X is associated with variable Y (Faith et al 1987)."

There is no need for you to mention the year in the text of the sentence.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanks for the quick replies.

2Scoops, I've already got it set to the Journal of Neuroscience style, thanks. And as for putting the year in the sentence, it's a paragraph outlining the main advances in the past 100 years, so it's appropriate in this case.

I think i'll just have to manually enter some things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Faith wrote: »
    And as for putting the year in the sentence, it's a paragraph outlining the main advances in the past 100 years, so it's appropriate in this case.

In 1987, condition x was found to be associated with variable Y (Faith et al. 1987).

Advertisement