Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

driveway query

Options
  • 24-03-2009 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

hi has any one any views on tarmac v asphalt for a driveway.opinions on pricing and longevity appreciated.Also any views on what type of cattle grid if any ,i should put in in rural mayo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

jonny d wrote: »
    hi has any one any views on tarmac v asphalt for a driveway.opinions on pricing and longevity appreciated.Also any views on what type of cattle grid if any ,i should put in in rural mayo

We had a local firm do a tarmac driveway for us about ten years ago. It's a length of about 25 metres from the road down to the house (bungalow) and then right across the front of the house in three car width, and finally down one end of the house. Can't recall exactly what it cost, but I think it was about a couple of grand so would be more now. It's still in perfect condition but it does tend to grow moss -- but my pressure washer shifts that OK so not an issue. Never bothered with a cattle grid, but we do on occasion get the odd horse wandering in. I don't discourage that because the s**t does wonders for the garden:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 highway-man

whan u say tarmac vs asphalt i expect you mean bitumen macadam vs stone mastic asphalt due to them being the only products that should be used on a domestic driveway bitmac is fine and a cheap but if you drive has any sharp bends on it or and steep inclines it may start to ravel due to all the extra tearing the wheels are giving it. SMA is a far better product and a hell of a lot stronger but what ever the price of bitmac is expect to but anything up to 40% on the cost for SMA what kind of motors will be parking on it, if its just a ordinary car or two then bitmac would probably hold up ok anything heavier may need SMA and always put down a macadam base.

Advertisement