Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LCD TV + Blu RAy

• 24-03-2009 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks!

I am about to purchase an LCD TV + BluRay player.

TV
    //////////////////////////////

I was looking at the SHARP AQUOS LCD 37D 65E

This seems to have good contrast, and a decent response time,

Ideally what I'm looking for is a TV with really good contrast (so dark films will look good) .. also a good response time is a must .. I can't stand trails ..

The above model is not a latest model and here it costs €850 ...
    I'm prepared to go to about €1,400.

What makes or models would people here recommend ?
    I really like the look of SAMSUNG, but this sales guy told me SHARP was one of the best .. he said LOEWE buy their screens from SHARP ??

BluRay
    ///////////////////////////////////////////
    I was looking at the Panasonic DMP BD55 -- looks really sweet ,
    ideally id like one that has the capability to trigger a slight delay with the audio --- in case some DVDs/blurays are out of sync .. my current panasonic DVD can do this --- or is this better to do with the receiver ?

anyway comments are most welcome ..

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Id go with a Samsung Series 6 or a Sony personaly but don't know the sharp's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Yep Samsung series 6 or Sony W4500 for LCD TV's IMO, haven't bought a blu-ray player yet but I'll be going for a Samsung BDP 1500 as it has DivX support & profile 2.0 ready

I've a PS3 very happy with it for BluRay. Got a BDP-350 for my dad because it has multi-region for DVD's. Great player for the money. He uses a seperate amp to do HD audio decoding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Jev/N wrote: »
    Yep Samsung series 6 or Sony W4500 for LCD TV's IMO, haven't bought a blu-ray player yet but I'll be going for a Samsung BDP 1500 as it has DivX support & profile 2.0 ready

Cheers guys ...

OK for Blu ray im pretty set now on the SONY BDP S550 ...

• Advertisement

550 is good but as far as I undersand it you will still need an amp to power speakers so unless your in a position where you have that already there may be better alterntitives.

Yes for now i have a KENWOOD receiver with speakers + subwoofer...

this is left to me for free ... (guy im renting flat from) I may buy a harmon Kardon baby in a few months.

This Kenwood doesn't have HDMI .. it has dolby digital + DTS ... Im sure the blu Ray player will downgrade HDMI audio so the DTS/ dolby digital channel can pick it up ?

You should be able to output analogue HD sound to the amp

Rew wrote: »
    You should be able to output analogue HD sound to the amp

but some bluRay discs have English TRUE HD audio only ... so will this be downgraded to 5.1 DD ??

If you output analogue sound to the amp for each channel the BluRay player had done the decoding and the amp is just amplifing the sound and sending it out to the speakers it would be HD sound not DD. If you send the sound via digital to the amp then thats where DD etc would come in to play. If you getting the amp to do decoding etc there is no benefit to the 550 over the 350.

• Advertisement

If you output analogue sound to the amp for each channel the BluRay player had done the decoding and the amp is just amplifing the sound and sending it out to the speakers it would be HD sound not DD. If you send the sound via digital to the amp then thats where DD etc would come in to play. If you getting the amp to do decoding etc there is no benefit to the 550 over the 350.

Ah ok ...

well ... I won't be getting the amp to do the decoding ...

and looks like ill get the Sony BDP S550

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

KDL40W5500 is available NOW !!!!!
    Next week or so for : DMPBD60 / 80 from Panasonic!!
    Dont Be silly and blow money on the 4500 series!
    >Sol

jackdaw wrote: »
    Ah ok ...

well ... I won't be getting the amp to do the decoding ...

and looks like ill get the Sony BDP S550

Just make sure you can hook them up in that way before you comit.

akaSol wrote: »
    KDL40W5500 is available NOW !!!!!
    Next week or so for : DMPBD60 / 80 from Panasonic!!
    Dont Be silly and blow money on the 4500 series!
    >Sol

Thanks!!

Damn ... now im confused again !!!

Just make sure you can hook them up in that way before you comit.

Im fairly sure it can ... the receiver I have is the KENWOOD KRF-X9090D

allthough it doesn't have HDMI ... the idea is to get a BluRap player that will
    take the HD audio and dump it into the receiver as DTS or 5.1 DD ...

If your doing that id get the cheaper 350 and hook it up to the amp via optical or coaxial to your amp.

This Receiver isn't mine but ill have use for it for a while ...

so in the future i plan to get my own receiver...

the way i see it i may as well get a good upper range BluRay player...

Now for a TV that sony KDL5500 looks sweet ,,, -- i checked on AVforums about the SHARP AQUOS
    seems to have banding problems...

The diference between a 550 and 350 is the 550 will decode the HD Audio on the player where as the 350 can only send it out encoded over the HDMI to a reciver to decode. If you buy a reciver in the future its pretty much guaranteed to do HD decoding then the 550 is a waste of money. I paired my Dads 350 with an Onkyo 606 and send the HD Auduio to that via HDMI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

The diference between a 550 and 350 is the 550 will decode the HD Audio on the player where as the 350 can only send it out encoded over the HDMI to a reciver to decode. If you buy a reciver in the future its pretty much guaranteed to do HD decoding then the 550 is a waste of money. I paired my Dads 350 with an Onkyo 606 and send the HD Auduio to that via HDMI.

The 350 can internally decode Dolby TrueHD, just not DTS-HD MA. The 550 also has 7.1 analogue outs.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    The 350 can internally decode Dolby TrueHD, just not DTS-HD MA. The 550 also has 7.1 analogue outs, as opposed to the 5.1 on the 350.

My 350 doesn't have 5.1 analogue outs just HDMI, coax and optical.

• Advertisement

My 350 doesn't have 5.1 analogue outs just HDMI, coax and optical.

2 out of 3 ain't bad, cheers. I've updated my original post. ;)

The 350 can internally decode Dolby TrueHD, just not DTS-HD MA. The 550 also has 7.1 analogue outs.

The 350 out puts "DIRECT" allowing your amp to deal with the decodeing.
    If its fidelity your looking for, it is not a 350 strong point.
    I am giving mine to some one and buying a Panasonic DMPBD80 as soon as iit available.
    >Sol

The 350 out puts "DIRECT" allowing your amp to deal with the decodeing.
    If its fidelity your looking for, it is not a 350 strong point.
    I am giving mine to some one and buying a Panasonic DMPBD80 as soon as iit available.
    >Sol

The 350 is ideal for users who are looking for a cheap Blu-ray player that also supports the majority of audio formats, including HD and for those who don't have a receiver capable of decoding any of the HD audio formats.

The 350 is ideal for users who are looking for a cheap Blu-ray player that also supports the majority of audio formats, including HD and for those who don't have a receiver capable of decoding any of the HD audio formats.
    I totally agree with that. My comparative was looking towards a Dolby THD or Dts HDMA enabled amp, the 350 lacks a certain "kick" imo.
    But I would rate my self as some what perfectionist and bought a 350 to "tide me over".
    The ultimate end of this is a simple question:
    Will it suffice you (jackdaw) as a consumer.

>Sol

OK thanks again guys ....

As for TVs this Sony LCD KDL 40W5500 looks sweet ... is there a 37"
    'version' ?

I totally agree with that. My comparative was looking towards a Dolby THD or Dts HDMA enabled amp, the 350 lacks a certain "kick" imo.
    But I would rate my self as some what perfectionist and bought a 350 to "tide me over".
    The ultimate end of this is a simple question:
    Will it suffice you (jackdaw) as a consumer.

>Sol

Well i was thinking of the SOny s550 ... it seems to have better stats then the 350 ... in fairness .. i haven't investigated enough ... i just saw it had the audio delay option .. which i want ... + decoding HD audio that my receiver won't do ... what should i look for regarding image quality ? deep color etc ?? ..

and im assuming all bluRays upscale regular DVDs ¿?

Well i was thinking of the SOny s550 ... it seems to have better stats then the 350 ... in fairness .. i haven't investigated enough ... i just saw it had the audio delay option .. which i want ... + decoding HD audio that my receiver won't do ... what should i look for regarding image quality ? deep color etc ?? ..

and im assuming all bluRays upscale regular DVDs ¿?

Blu-ray players offer almost exactly the same picture quality, with discernible differences between players as a result of post-processing such as DNR (Digital Noise Reduction), edge enhancement etc.

I wouldn’t worry at all about deep colour, as there is currently no deep colour content available on Blu-ray and there probably never will be.

All Blu-ray players upscale DVD, however, the quality in which they do this is generally different between each player.

OK, Owners of the Sony s550 , how is the upscaling ?

That SONY didn't get great reviews ... has backlighting issues apparently ..

• Advertisement

That SONY didn't get great reviews ... has backlighting issues apparently ..

Have a read of this thread and this review, regarding the W5500.

Advertisement