Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walkin wardrobe prices

Options
  • 24-03-2009 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Just received what i think is an astronomical quote for a walkin wardrobe kitout. its basically a room 13'x10' with part of one wall cut at an angle 2 doors and a window with rad beneath so its maybe gonna have 50% wall coverage. All we wanted was open hanging units with few shelves and a shoe rack no fancy sliding doors, trick bits etc but the quote came in at €3700, call me naive but in these recessionary times €3700 for a bit of lamiated mdf and rails is highway robbery. anyone any thoughs on this or of decent reasonably priced companys in Cork?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dcom

Sounds a bit steep to me.
    Would you not consider buying wardrobe kit outs from the likes of ikea, they can work out a heck of a lot cheaper than what you were quoted, and some of them look nice. Look at them online and see whatyou think.
    We havent got to that stage just yet so cant give you any better advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Skillie wrote: »
    Just received what i think is an astronomical quote for a walkin wardrobe kitout. its basically a room 13'x10' with part of one wall cut at an angle 2 doors and a window with rad beneath so its maybe gonna have 50% wall coverage. All we wanted was open hanging units with few shelves and a shoe rack no fancy sliding doors, trick bits etc but the quote came in at €3700, call me naive but in these recessionary times €3700 for a bit of lamiated mdf and rails is highway robbery. anyone any thoughs on this or of decent reasonably priced companys in Cork?

Your description is little unclear. Is this an attic room?
    If its really just laminated mdf and rails you agreed for 3 1/2 grand then yes you are very naive. Next time ask the guy what exactly he is going to do. A good guide for an average tradesman is €200 a day for labour and extra for materials
    Are you sure it's not irish elm he's planning on using or something?

P.S this is a DIY forum. You could do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

cL0h wrote: »
    Your description is little unclear. Is this an attic room?

No its adjoined to the bedroom, its just got one wall at an angle, i.e. its not a rectangular room.
    If its really just laminated mdf and rails you agreed for 3 1/2 grand then yes you are very naive. Next time ask the guy what exactly he is going to do. A good guide for an average tradesman is €200 a day for labour and extra for materials

Think you misunderstood; i was asking if i was naive to expect this cheaper, i in no way agreed with their quote. i have no intention of paying this i was stunned by the quote, i know exactly what they were proposing for the price just shocked at how much they want for it. they will not be getting an order.

@Dcom thanks for the response, yes i've considered IKEA and a few other options was just looking for as professional a job for the money as possible. I think some people assume you have money to burn or that you are stupid when they turn up to quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the op but do you want to;
    1. build the room and fit it out
    or
    2. just fit out the room?

A friend of mine runs his own fitted kitchen and wardrobe business so if you want to pm me more info about what you want I can ask him for a rough quote.

He'd need
    - sizes and types of the units you want,
    -the layout of the room
    what type of finish you want

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the op but do you want to;
    1. build the room and fit it out
    or
    2. just fit out the room?

A friend of mine runs his own fitted kitchen and wardrobe business so if you want to pm me more info about what you want I can ask him for a rough quote.

He'd need
    - sizes and types of the units you want,
    -the layout of the room
    what type of finish you want

hi and thanks. the room is built, floored, plastered and painted. it has a window and an entrance to the ensuite at one end, and the bedroom at the other. it is 13'x10' with about half the wall space needing wardrobe units of some description. walnut veneered units would suffice, open with no doors just hanging rails and shelves, about half in half. i can post rough sketch tomorrow

• Advertisement

A sketch would simplify it a lot, otherwise I'll end up describing something to him that doesn't even exist :-))

see if these help, very rough google sketchup. long wall 13', its a dormer too so that side is lower. width of room 10'. cheers

Right I've forwarded that onto my friend, we'll see what he says. What part of the country are you in? He was thinking of going into flat pack so if you were handy at DIY you might be able to fit it yourself

in cork and would have no issue fitting it myself. thanks

Heh, I'm living in Douglas and go home to Limerick where Con lives most weekends, small world.

I was talking to him this morning and the first email never came through on the address i used for him so i've sent it again to his wife's address. He did say walnut is more expensive than the usual white/cream mdf so maybe that is where your original quote was so high, anyway we'll know in a few days

• Advertisement

cheers lad small world alright

i got a quote today of 2K from the guy whos doing my kitchen, hes trying to win the job so hes offering to do things like kitting out the utility for free and decent price on the wardrobe. sure let me know what your buddy says, thanks

Skillie wrote: »
    cheers lad small world alright

i got a quote today of 2K from the guy whos doing my kitchen, hes trying to win the job so hes offering to do things like kitting out the utility for free and decent price on the wardrobe. sure let me know what your buddy says, thanks

I called into Con last night and he said if your getting it done for 2K go for it, he wouldn't be able to match that price due to the distance. He didn't give a proper quote but he was talking between 2K5 and 3K as he'd have to go to Cork twice - once to measure and talk to you about what you want, the second time to fit.

Will you put up photos when it is finished to let us see what it turned out like?

I called into Con last night and he said if your getting it done for 2K go for it, he wouldn't be able to match that price due to the distance. He didn't give a proper quote but he was talking between 2K5 and 3K as he'd have to go to Cork twice - once to measure and talk to you about what you want, the second time to fit.

Will you put up photos when it is finished to let us see what it turned out like?

thanks for that, ya i'll put up pics, it'll be in the next couple of months. he said 3K but he'd do it for 2 as he was trying to win the job for the kitchen which was 15K so he offered to do my kitchen, pantry, utility, kitchen table and wardrobe for 17K. lot of work at a decent spec for the money. thanks

heres some pics of the finished job. turned out fine (i can't really get too excited about wardrobe space to be honest), gave us what we wanted herself has all the storage space she wanted €2K, everyones a winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

That's a nice job he done there squire, looks well.

Can I be as bold to ask what type of walnut flooring that is and how much you payed for it ?

P.

... I note you are like me... fond of the jeans.... ;)

bauderline wrote: »
    That's a nice job he done there squire, looks well.

Can I be as bold to ask what type of walnut flooring that is and how much you payed for it ?

P.

... I note you are like me... fond of the jeans.... ;)

haha theres more jeans in the drawers!! its grand i'm not blown away by it or anything and would have done a few things differently maybe but its a wardrobe so i'm not fussy about it and herself is happy it can fit all her clothes (although some of mine may have to be thrown out!!) and shoes so thats all that matters. believe it or not that flooring is just laminate and costs a whopping €7 a square yard from a place called DPL in Cork.

Thats nice Skillie, the flooring looks good in it too, well wear

Advertisement