Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wired Controller response Vs Wireless

• 24-03-2009 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Is there any significant difference between a wired controller and a wireless one. I am saying this as when playing online at times some players seem to just have the draw on me everytime so to speak. Either I am just a bad online player (may be possible :p ) or they have an advantage in some way!

Would the controller be more sensitive if its a wired one?

Just a thought.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

I don't think so. Is your controller using batteries or does it plug in to charge?

Maybe the batteries need replacing but I have to say I find the wireless controller very responsive.

Maybe you just suck...........(just kidding)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

lol, no it shouldn't be anyway significant delay. There will be a delay but there is also a delay on the wired one, it is just tiny.

The amount of information travelling is tiny and the wireless in the controller over the top compared to what is required so it should be able to handle it no bother IMO.

Should add, wireless connections are worse because wireless connections lose information and it has to be transmitted again which causes the additional delay. This isn't that big a deal to your router especially if they are close but makes a much bigger difference if you have mobile broadband over a land line.

With controllers, the distance isn't large and neither is the amount of data so it shouldn't be noticeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Ya thats what i figured, i am using normal batteries however so I may invest in the charger units you can get. Saves money in the long run with replacing batteries all the time!

So in conclusion I suck!! :o

nah im not that bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

it could be to do with your internet connection , sometimes other people would have a faster connection and be able to communicate with the servers faster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Can't say I've ever noticed a difference between batteries, the charging unit or have it plugged in via play and charge cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

good to know, so it must be my internet connection. its pretty good most of the time, but i know there is faster. might look into fios, its available in my area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

murfie wrote: »
    good to know, so it must be my internet connection. its pretty good most of the time, but i know there is faster. might look into fios, its available in my area.

It's all about the ping and lag brother. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I have had exactly the same problem a lot of the time. It's more than likely down to lag.
    The connection speed of the person hosting the game plays a part too. If they have a slow connection, then you're fuxored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Kernel wrote: »
    It's all about the ping and lag brother. :)

You've hit the nail on the head!

The upload and download speed of your internet connection really isn't as important as some other factors to do with your internet connection when it comes to online play. The amount of data being transferred to and back from Xbox Live is actually quite low, unless you are the one hosting a game server. Therefore, any broadband connection with a consistent 512 down and 256 (maybe even lower) up speed should, in theory, be comfortably able to join an online game (hosting requires higher speeds, especially on upload).

Latency is by far the most important factor. This is not about how much info that can be transmitted in a given period of time but how quickly that info can be delivered from your 360 to the game hosts 360 and back again. Distance generally has a lot to do with this but many other factors contribute towards it too.

The easiest way to test your latency is with a ping test, try speedtest.net, I'd recommend opening the command prompt on your PC/laptop and simply type in "ping www.google.ie" (for UK residents adjust accordingly). This will tell you how quickly your connection can send info to google and back in milleseconds(ms). Four result strings normally come back and you should hope for a fairly consistant figures each time. To give you an idea of what's good and what not:

Below 30ms... you're a lucky git
    31ms-60ms... it's what you'd hope for
    61ms-80ms... it's fine
    80ms-120ms... you'd like it to be better
    121ms-150ms... you're gonna be at a disadvantage
    151ms+ oh dear, time to heavily invest in coffin futures :D

I'm sorry about going on a bit but it's hard to reduce the amount of text and still make sure you have all the info.

Once you know you have a decent latency/ping rate, next you need to check that your connection has a steady steam of info being transmitted and received. This will mean you'll have clear, crisp xbox live chat and smooth gaming. Try either of these sites, you'll plainly see how your ISP is performing from the graphs.

http://www.irishisptest.com

http://myvoipspeed.visualware.com

I'm sorry if this post is a bit long, kinda got carried away. Hope it clears up any questions you may have about what's required for decent online gaming. If I've confused any of you, let me know, I've drunk a lot of coffee today and none of this might make sense even to me once I've crashed :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The problem with pinging google.ie is you hit a different google server sometimes so you may not get consistent results.

I usually ping boards.ie which tells me latency to a server in Dublin (about 15ms).

Then I ping exiledgamers.com which is hosted in America which tells me how long it takes to ping America on my connection 130ms.

The pings are really important and usually the host will be geographically close to you or at least XBL should try to find a host close to you rather than use an American host.

The above is good to show the difference between pinging Ireland and US as that is the difference in time it takes the data to go to a server in Ireland and a server in the US so you can see why if your playing against someone hosting in America, you will have a worse latency which as a result usually means you need faster reaction times for the same results :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

thebman wrote: »
    The problem with pinging google.ie is you hit a different google server sometimes so you may not get consistent results.

I usually ping boards.ie which tells me latency to a server in Dublin (about 15ms).

Then I ping exiledgamers.com which is hosted in America which tells me how long it takes to ping America on my connection 130ms.

The pings are really important and usually the host will be geographically close to you or at least XBL should try to find a host close to you rather than use an American host.

The above is good to show the difference between pinging Ireland and US as that is the difference in time it takes the data to go to a server in Ireland and a server in the US so you can see why if your playing against someone hosting in America, you will have a worse latency which as a result usually means you need faster reaction times for the same results :P

Never thought of pinging boards.ie, good idea and it does seem pretty consistant too. Thanks for that

Advertisement